Sapphire RX 470 Nitro 4Gb Modded Bios for Samsung Memory

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member Posts: 13
    guys guys sorry to interfere, but i think this thread is how to mod the bios of an RX 470 with Samsung memory, and not to find the best price for the card. I desperatly need info on how to mod the bios safely nothing else. Any one can help on this???
  • squatsquat Member Posts: 4
    squat said:

Can't get easier and safer than this.

Ok then lets give it a try.

To honest i know the way it is done, but i just wanted a confirmation if it really works. It means i should find out by my self. I am not sure if changing only the timings it is enough, cos i have read that someone is having memory degradation by only doing this. But there are also others that seems to be working. Anyway i will report bac the results i get from this. Thnx squat.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    On Samsung, doing that can get you memory errors sometimes. I would try 1900 first, then maybe go to 1750.
    Wolf0 said:

On Samsung, doing that can get you memory errors sometimes. I would try 1900 first, then maybe go to 1750.

yeah that is what i have read too.
    but if i change a bit, the TDP, or Max power ect, wouldn't it be better??
    and if i get memory errors, does it mean i will get bad memory to, or i can just go back to where it was??
    Edvin said:

Wolf0 said:

and if i get memory errors, does it mean i will get bad memory to, or i can just go back to where it was??
    You can change the timings back; it should not harm the memory. TDP/Max Power have fuck all to do with the GDDR5.
    Wolf0 said:

Edvin said:

Wolf0 said:

You can change the timings back; it should not harm the memory. TDP/Max Power have fuck all to do with the GDDR5.
    so you suggest not to mess with these???
    i mean i have changed them, with the Elpida memory and it all goes fine.
    You can change TDP/Max power - but it won't do much.
    Hey guys i did flash the card with 1750 straps to 1900 and 2000mhz, but also encreased a bit the TDC (A) and the Max power limit (W). The results:

- GPU/Mem at 1350/2100mhz
    - about 100watt in ETH
    - about 90watt in XMR
    - 57c temp with 60% fan fanspeed
    - about 30MH/s in ETh
    - about 760H/s in XMR
    - about 230H/s in Zcash

i can get to 28mh/s with 1100mhz on the core but since i have free electricity for now, i have not tryed nothing else. it is stable for 2 hours now.
  • alex_beridzealex_beridze Member Posts: 19
    @Edvin hello bro
    can you help me how identify sapphire rx470 4gb with Samsung memory?
    this is Samsung? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202229

@Edvin hello bro
    this is Samsung? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202229

Unfortunately there isn't a way to tell what type of memory it is, till you get the card at home. The only thing i can suggest you is to ask the seller, if he can provide you this information, but i doubt that. Anyway you can try
    Edvin said:

@Edvin hello bro

Unfortunately there isn't a way to tell what type of memory it is, till you get the card at home. The only thing i can suggest you is to ask the seller, if he can provide you this information, but i doubt that. Anyway you can try
    I think I told him this at least twice, but he doesn't listen.
  • BuriedOneBuriedOne Member Posts: 3
    Watch my Mod Guide! its a long video but for people who want to use the mod, just skip the video a bit.
  • alex_beridzealex_beridze Member Posts: 19
    @Wolf0 do you know online shop where i can ask this option for seller, at our local market there is no presented sapphire nitro :(

@Wolf0 do you know online shop where i can ask this option for seller, at our local market there is no presented sapphire nitro :(

Read very closely. You can't, at least as far as I know.
  • EarlieEarlie Member Posts: 5

Where do you live? One of my reseller customers in the US was looking at a buy with the date code shown above. If there's interest, I would be happy to refer you.
    I'm in the US, and I'd like that - getting Elpida cards would be nice.
  • AnorakSupraAnorakSupra Member Posts: 9
    Memory errors do not harm the hardware. I run my Hynix 1750MHz at 2GHz with 1500 straps and get like quadrillions of errors. But hashrate and rejected shares are ok. What's the point of avoiding memory errors?

Memory errors do not harm the hardware. I run my Hynix 1750MHz at 2GHz with 1500 straps and get like quadrillions of errors. But hashrate and rejected shares are ok. What's the point of avoiding memory errors?

@AnorakSupra Memory errors basically are fucked values returned from memory, which will lead to invalid hash results - so basically wasted work. This is why you want to avoid them.
    I see. But as long as my invalid share rate does not increase, I sould be good. Invalid shares are below 1% for me right now.
    @AnorakSupra False - HW errors, depending on your miner, may not be shown. Invalids are usually stales.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @AnorakSupra not really. You'll lose performance over memory errors even if your invalid shares/work doesn't increase. At best, the memory errors will be recoverable by the GPU, and it will spend several times the number of normal clock cycles for a read operation doing so. Monitor actual share output at low difficulty - does it match reported hashrate?
    Yes reported hashrate is correct.
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    any updates on this? just got the first card and it is a Samsung memory :( can someone give some good new about this, or nothing improved since?
    squat said:
    Hey, thanks for sharing this, can you tell what driver version are you using ? thanks!
    Getting 29.xxx MH/s per card! thank you!
  • BillzBillz Member Posts: 6
    I have a Nitro RX470 4GB Samsung that I just bought. I tried changing the memory timing for the 1900 and 2000 to the 1750 timing. I get the exact same results as the stock rom. Also tried the Rom file linked above and can't get more than the stock speed of 23mh. Any suggestions?
    Billz said:

I have a Nitro RX470 4GB Samsung that I just bought. I tried changing the memory timing for the 1900 and 2000 to the 1750 timing. I get the exact same results as the stock rom. Also tried the Rom file linked above and can't get more than the stock speed of 23mh. Any suggestions?

I did the same as you, and i am nearly 30 mh/s.. i think if we thet the timings from 1500 will reach the 30s. I use sapphire trixx 1150/2100 , -120mV (for the gpu that has cabble plugged in i was able to get a max -108mV.
  • BillzBillz Member Posts: 6
    I tried taking the 1500 timing and that got me up to 24. That was using the Nicehash miner. I tried an old version of Claymore that I had sitting on here and I'm getting 25.4mh. Still kind of baffled by this. I'm wondering if I should take the 1375 timing or even the 1250. What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated. I've attached the Polaris screenshot as well.
    Billz said:

I tried taking the 1500 timing and that got me up to 24. That was using the Nicehash miner. I tried an old version of Claymore that I had sitting on here and I'm getting 25.4mh. Still kind of baffled by this. I'm wondering if I should take the 1375 timing or even the 1250. What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated. I've attached the Polaris screenshot as well.

what is your driver version ?