Possible to mine with 6 graphics cards 8 gpu's? (BIOS or MOBO MOD?)

PCRGMPCRGM Member Posts: 46
edited September 2016 in Mining
Hello, I just had to upgrade my mining rig to windows 10 because windows 7 can only have 5 physical cards in it. I was getting to thinking, I'm using a ASROCK H97 anniversary motherboard, and my current setup is one r9 295x2, one r9 290x, and 3 r9 290's. I have another R9 295x2 that I'm running for mining on a separate machine, because I can't figure out how to get the motherboard to accept all of them (6 physical cards, 8 gpu cores) Does anyone know how to do this?
Post edited by PCRGM on

Comments

• EastwindEastwind Member Posts: 107
    I use 2x7990+4x390 to mine. I use the Windows 8.1. You need to use lbr 7+ GPU mod to make it work.
  • PCRGMPCRGM Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2016
    More concerned with my motherboard, I think I tried to boot in the past, and I don't think it will boot if it detects more than 6 gpu's connected. I was in quite a panic yesterday, because I didn't know that windows 7 has a 5 card limit, and I thought one of my GPU's was broken.

Maybe there is a BIOS mod for my motherboard so I can use more than 6 gpu cores.....
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    It didn't work with my ASROCK BTC board. Max is 6 GPUs, if one of them is dual core, then max is 5 physical GPUs. It will get detected in Windows but once you start mining it will become very unstable.

• hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 doesnt have a 5 card limit.. who told you those lies? LOL

My old Windows 7 rigs have run in the past with 6 single GPU cards (6 GPU total in device manager) and 4 dual GPU cards (8 GPU total in device manager) without any issues at all. You just have to run the 6xGPU mod and you can have up to 8 GPUs working without any problems.. Of course, your PSUs have to have enough power for all the cards, and your mainboard has to have enough working PCI Express slots to get it all running together.
    hasher said:

My old Windows 7 rigs have run in the past with 6 single GPU cards (6 GPU total in device manager) and 4 dual GPU cards (8 GPU total in device manager) without any issues at all. You just have to run the 6xGPU mod and you can have up to 8 GPUs working without any problems.. Of course, your PSUs have to have enough power for all the cards, and your mainboard has to have enough working PCI Express slots to get it all running together.

Without doing any mods, Windows 7 can only run 5 cards. Any additional cards I put in would give error code 43. I'm asking how to get my motherboard to boot up with 8 GPUS (6 physical cards, 6 pci slots on my motherboard) Whenever I try to boot up, it doesn't even get to the operating screen boot logo. Anyone here know of a way to mod my Motherboard or BIOS for my motherboard, so that I can mine with 8 gpu's on 6 physical cards?
    hasher said:

Windows 7 doesn't have a 5 card limit.. who told you those lies? LOL

My old Windows 7 rigs have run in the past with 6 single GPU cards (6 GPU total in device manager) and 4 dual GPU cards (8 GPU total in device manager) without any issues at all. You just have to run the 6xGPU mod and you can have up to 8 GPUs working without any problems. Of course, your PSUs have to have enough power for all the cards, and your mainboard has to have enough working PCI Express slots to get it all running together.

Maybe it's an issue with windows 10 freezing on me
  • kaese2002kaese2002 Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2016
    adaseb said:

It didn't work with my ASROCK BTC board. Max is 6 GPUs, if one of them is dual core, then max is 5 physical GPUs. It will get detected in Windows but once you start mining it will become very unstable.

I have a 7GPU setup running on a H81 BTC consisting of 1x reference Sapphire 290x, 4 MSI Gaming 4G 290X and 1 MSI 295X2. Using 3 PSUs, runs stable...

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    hasher said:

The point is: "in the past". And that's not a lie, win7 has a limit, and solutions also, which wouldn't work with newer amd drivers.
  • AriesIV10AriesIV10 Member Posts: 40
    I am confused. You say that you are running 8 GPUs and have only 6 GPUs in the pic. and then talk about 7 GPUs and only have 6 GPUs in the pic. How is this 8 GPUs?
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @AriesIV10
    There's dual gpu video cards, like r9 295. One card to one slot, but two gpu device for the system.
    AriesIV10 said:

I am confused. You say that you are running 8 GPUs and have only 6 GPUs in the pic. and then talk about 7 GPUs and only have 6 GPUs in the pic. How is this 8 GPUs?

A 295X2 is Dual core 290X operating in 1 slot

Next Story will be a 8 Slot setup on a MSI Gaming 5 Using this:

edited November 2016
    Post edited by AriesIV10 on
  • namtr0namtr0 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2016
    I'm running 7 cards on same board with a port splitter. 6 rx 480 ref and 1 290x, trick was to not allow amd driver to install with software, but to download it extract the installer then go to device manager and right click the gpu and point update driver by pointing it to the extracted folder. I did one gpu, shutdown, then plugged in all but the 290x and repeated, after the screen flashed 5 times I powered off and plugged in 290x and then did the same thing. All work and all show fine. I just wish I could add the 8th gpu, when I do the system wont boot(black screen), not sure why. Oh also make sure in bios you set pci to version 2 or version 1. that was a key point, I just set mine to version 1 never tried 2.

• bhanu545bhanu545 Member Posts: 53
    afaik 8th gpu wont be detected by windows whatever u do. I have seen people posting their trials but never seen a succesful story. Even the mobo it self dsnt recognise more than 7 gpus or graphical processors in my mobo which is msi z97gaming 5. U can see my thread about this.
    bhanu545 said:

afaik 8th gpu wont be detected by windows whatever u do. I have seen people posting their trials but never seen a succesful story. Even the mobo it self dsnt recognise more than 7 gpus or graphical processors in my mobo which is msi z97gaming 5. U can see my thread about this.

What is your thread about this? I am very interested in trying.
    Got the first parts today...will try a single card on this M2 adapter before i add more..

I will be very interested in seeing what happens! Keep us posted!
  • mynickmynick Member Posts: 20
    any info 8xgpu rig?
    I have 7xRx 480 works fine, but 8x Rx 480 not started, black screen
  • namtr0namtr0 Member Posts: 12
    Same for me I'd like to know the way to get past the black boot screen when adding 8th.
    The M2 to PCIe 4x Adapter is working without connection it to the PSU. 3 cards connected at the moment.

kaese2002 said:

bhanu545 said:

There are others who already posted with 8gpu succesfully only if they are 3gb cards. NOT the 4gb ones. There must be some relation to total GB of memory of the cards which makes it not possible to be detected by either mobo or windows.
    Let us know if you have success with 8x 4gb cards being detected. that would be a new invention ;)
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @bhanu545 8 cards is the driver maximum for AMD cards... you can absolutely run 8x 4Gb cards, and has been done before. Total VRAM isn't relevent. What is relevent is motherboard support and a CPU with enough pci lanes.
    bhanu545 said:

kaese2002 said:

bhanu545 said:

There are others who already posted with 8gpu succesfully only if they are 3gb cards. NOT the 4gb ones. There must be some relation to total GB of memory of the cards which makes it not possible to be detected by either mobo or windows.
    Let us know if you have success with 8x 4gb cards being detected. that would be a new invention ;)
    true 8 cards with 3GB RAM works fine or 4 dual gpu (HD7990), but 8x graphic crads with 4+GB not work.
    work said:

@bhanu545 8 cards is the driver maximum for AMD cards... you can absolutely run 8x 4Gb cards, and has been done before. Total VRAM isn't relevent. What is relevent is motherboard support and a CPU with enough pci lanes.

Most cpu supports 16 pcie lanes, most motherboards dsnt have more than 7 pcie slots. Also heard win 10 dsnt recognize more than 7-8gpus as posted by other members. Running 8 cards is a trick n luck now as somebody posted using M2 to pcie adapter. But no real world proofs that will work showing 8x4gb gpus working.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    mynick said:

true 8 cards with 3GB RAM works fine or 4 dual gpu (HD7990), but 8x graphic crads with 4+GB not work.

I've run 8x 4GB R9 290s on one mobo. It is possible, and was not difficult with the right hardware. Is there any point in more then 6 GPU? Not really.
  • MiningShedMiningShed Member Posts: 18
    work said:

Is there a motherboard out there that can support 8 cards out of the box?
    work said:

mynick said:

I've run 8x 4GB R9 290s on one mobo. It is possible, and was not difficult with the right hardware. Is there any point in more then 6 GPU? Not really.
    model motherboard?

• RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    Someone needs to start a list of successful 8 GPU rig setups that others can refer to. I would volunteer but I don't have such a setup.