(1x) x1-PCIe to (3x) x1-PCIe riser board - thoughts?

124»

Comments

• mynickmynick Member Posts: 20
    I have 8x RX 480 but my rig not started.
    Rig:
    H81 PRO BTC +Celeron G1840
    PCI-e Express 1X to 3 Port 1X Switch
    8GB ram
    8x Rx 480,
    Super flower 1600Gold
    Windows 10
    16.9.2 driver.

with 7 gpu rig works perfectly but with 8x Rx 480 black screen, rig not started

• mineitlikecatsmineitlikecats Member Posts: 1
    mynick said:

I have 8x RX 480 but my rig not started.
    Rig:
    H81 PRO BTC +Celeron G1840
    PCI-e Express 1X to 3 Port 1X Switch
    8GB ram
    8x Rx 480,
    Super flower 1600Gold
    Windows 10
    16.9.2 driver.

with 7 gpu rig works perfectly but with 8x Rx 480 black screen, rig not started

Have you tried to play around with pci-e motherboard bios settings?

• CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    so it takes from a pcie slot and split it to three or four additional slots? how would that be possible? How much wattage does one pcie slot draw on a motherboard? How would it be able for example draw 65w from the pcie slot and split it into three additional slots? Turn 65w into 195w? I can't see this as being safe for mining?
  • namtr0namtr0 Member Posts: 12
    I have one of the 1 to 3 port multipliers and use it without issue. but not able to get 8th card to be working, I boot to a black screen. Note that to get gpu's to show up you may need to go into bios and change pci-e version to gen2 or gen1, I set mine to gen 1 and have 6 rx 480 and 1 290x running on my asrock anniversary mobo. I also had to avoid installing amd software, I downloaded driver pack then extracted exe and installed drivers by using device manager and pointing it to the extracted installer folder. running stable. but really wish I could used the 8th slot.
    IF anyone knows how to get more than 7 cards working Please let me know, I get a black boot whenever I add the 8th card.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Calivet PCIe 16x slots can support up to 16 lanes. Aka, it's technically possibly to switch 16 cards on a single 16x lane, using 1x bandwidth.

As for power draw... you shouldn't be drawing power from your mobo PCIe line at all. That's what powered risers are for.

@namtr0 you have onboard video disabled, ya? If so, Might be CPU limitation on available lanes.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @Calivert splitters use a 4x pcie switch chipset. One slot on that switch is used to connect to the motherboard leaving 3 on the splitter -1 on the motherboard. You you effectively only gain two slots.

They attach using a USB cable and have an additional molex and/or sata port for isolated powering of the PCIe devices. So power consumption is view in the capacity of a single molex or SATA power cable.
    namtr0 said:

I have one of the 1 to 3 port multipliers and use it without issue. but not able to get 8th card to be working, I boot to a black screen. Note that to get gpu's to show up you may need to go into bios and change pci-e version to gen2 or gen1, I set mine to gen 1 and have 6 rx 480 and 1 290x running on my asrock anniversary mobo. I also had to avoid installing amd software, I downloaded driver pack then extracted exe and installed drivers by using device manager and pointing it to the extracted installer folder. running stable. but really wish I could used the 8th slot.
    IF anyone knows how to get more than 7 cards working Please let me know, I get a black boot whenever I add the 8th card.

yes in bios set gen2 and 7x480 works fine, but 8x480 black screen.
  • SpectrosSpectros Member Posts: 4
    mynick said:

namtr0 said:

I've sent a message to ASRock support with this issue. They said:
    "This is about memory address limitation.

When you plug a graphics card, system will allocate memory fro the card.

More graphics card you plug, more memory address will be allocated, but it has limitation(top of address"

And after the question if this limitation is breakable:
    "1. Is it possible to change memory address allocation or it's "hardcoded" in chipset? If yes, can you give me directions how to do it? Of course, I will do it on my own risk.

A: It is physical limitation, we are not able to break it.

2. Is there a motherboard or maybe chipset, which allows me to use 8 GPUs? If yes, give me please it's name, or, at least, chipset.
    A: Sorry, we only recommend users to install one graphics card/PCIE device to the PCIE slot, except the board which support officially support PCIE split function to support two graphics cards like X99E-ITX/ac."

So, looks like we can't use this mobo's for 8x GPU.

Also I tryed several motherboards on Intel H170, Z170 chipsets (ASRock, MSI, Asus) with very poor results. Mobo's can "see" GPUs, but it mines only with 4 GPUs.

I've even try one on AMD 990FX chipset (MSI). It works only with 6 GPUs.

Have anyone ideas what to try before server mobo's? Or, at least, what is the f****** limitations I reached and how to break it?

Spectros said:

mynick said:

namtr0 said:

More graphics card you plug, more memory address will be allocated, but it has limitation(top of address"

"1. Is it possible to change memory address allocation or it's "hardcoded" in chipset? If yes, can you give me directions how to do it? Of course, I will do it on my own risk.

2. Is there a motherboard or maybe chipset, which allows me to use 8 GPUs? If yes, give me please it's name, or, at least, chipset.
    A: Sorry, we only recommend users to install one graphics card/PCIE device to the PCIE slot, except the board which support officially support PCIE split function to support two graphics cards like X99E-ITX/ac."

Also I tryed several motherboards on Intel H170, Z170 chipsets (ASRock, MSI, Asus) with very poor results. Mobo's can "see" GPUs, but it mines only with 4 GPUs.

Have anyone ideas what to try before server mobo's? Or, at least, what is the f****** limitations I reached and how to break it?

very very intersting, 8x R9 280X 3GB memory card works fine with h81 BTC pro and 3in1HUB switch, but 8X Rx 480 4GB or8GB not work, black screen.
    I think problem is allocated memory.
    I'm using in this tests R9 380 4G. So, it could be rather not memory, but address allocation.
    edited November 2016
    I have 8x380 4GB NItro, but same problem. 7x380 works fine, but 8x380 black screen.
    tray disable onboard LAN, and all SATA ports
    mynick said:

I have 8x380 4GB NItro, but same problem. 7x380 works fine, but 8x380 black screen.
    tray disable onboard LAN, and all SATA ports

Already tryed. It doesn't help in any case. Looks like, there is a special address space for PCI-e devices, like GPUs.
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    Doesnt work on pascal (1060) either.
    Guess its AMD only, will have to switch cards around.
  • sailbumsailbum Member Posts: 1
    I am considering using one of these multiplier risers to hold several video capture cards. (Black Magic 4K)
    Has anyone done this?
    Can these multipliers plug into any USB port, such as the internal one on a USB 3.0 card?
    Has anyone seen a housing for the triple riser?
    All of the risers I have seen use an x1 card, are there any which use an x4 or x8?
  • manotrollmanotroll Member Posts: 21
    Here i am one with 3 rx 480 8gb and it works normally
  • mvmkrmvmkr Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Hey, I have Asus H81 pro BTC R2 + Intel Celeron 1840 CPU with 7 RX 470... The mobo starts with 6 gpu's, but when i add the 7th it just doesn't even post. I use 1x to 3x riser extender for extra pci port.

Anyone who have 7 gpu's running on this mobo, can you please share bios configuration or any other info to make that 7th card start?

Maybe disabling usb or built in net adapter or any other bios parameter that stop the mobo from starting with 7 gpu's.
    Post edited by mvmkr on
  • mvmkrmvmkr Member Posts: 2
    For everyone who have this issue.... just reset mb bios... it worked for me.
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    Nippy said:

work said:

I believe 8 GPUs is still an X/AMD driver limitation. Although I do recall reading about a group that had more with special drivers.

OK, I believe you )

Wow, what motherboard? No "memory limitation"problem?
  • misho93misho93 Member Posts: 25
    mynick said:

Spectros said:

mynick said:

namtr0 said:

very very intersting, 8x R9 280X 3GB memory card works fine with h81 BTC pro and 3in1HUB switch, but 8X Rx 480 4GB or8GB not work, black screen.
    I think problem is allocated memory.
    the problem not allocated memory .
    i have amd 970 with fx 4100 it have 5 pcie i plug 7gpu 6 rx 470 and one r9 295x2 so it 8 gpu in system 4gb*8=32gb but i have only 8 gb ram and it work with 1 to 3 riser

i don't have MB have 6 pci slot to test
    *8 gpu only work with old bios
  • lecbeelecbee Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I just bought this card but I'm currently unable to get it working. The Pericom chipset is visible by the OS (Windows and Linux) but not the VGA cards. I have still some tips to check, but I wonder if it's normal the small LED near the USB port is red. Is that normal ?
  • JuggarJuggar Member Posts: 11
    These things are a crapshoot, they may or may not work. Seems they only work for AMD cards. I have one on order to try out on a board with a single 4x slot. Even if it only lets me run 1 additional thats still great. I dont think these will allow anyone to run for example, 8, 9, 10 cards under windows. Its meant more for people with motherboards that physically lack the additional slots.
  • lecbeelecbee Member Posts: 10
    I've tested my replicator with a Radeon R5 230, and it doesn't work either.
  • jfrg23jfrg23 Member Posts: 3

I have an asrock h81 pro btc with 6 cards rx 570, I would like to put 3 additional cards to the same rig to not buy all the necessary components to mount only 3 gpu I would save some money, someone has tried with riser 1 to 4 pci-e 1x
  • shavillshavill Los AngelesMember Posts: 16
    edited September 2017
    Calivet said:

so it takes from a pcie slot and split it to three or four additional slots? how would that be possible? How much wattage does one pcie slot draw on a motherboard? How would it be able for example draw 65w from the pcie slot and split it into three additional slots? Turn 65w into 195w? I can't see this as being safe for mining?

jfrg23 said:

I have an asrock h81 pro btc with 6 cards rx 570, I would like to put 3 additional cards to the same rig to not buy all the necessary components to mount only 3 gpu I would save some money, someone has tried with riser 1 to 4 pci-e 1x

If you look at works post (above) the explanation tells you how it works. There are plenty of miners using these splitters, and power is drawn from the powered PCI-E risers.

As jugger said "it's a crapshoot". If you get a junk one to save 20-30 bux, you might be risking the gpus or the mobo in the process. You get what you pay for.

This guy shows how he is running 3 x 3-1 splitters for a total of 11 gpu on a 6 slot mobo.

Now Azrock has the new H81 BTC pro which supports 3 PSU and 19 gpu. Sick
    Post edited by shavill on