SSD necessary?

geraldbaeckgeraldbaeck Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I am fairly new to mining and I wonder if it is really necessary to use an SSD for mining. It would be cheaper to use an USB stick or an old magnetic harddisk. so what's the reasoning behind using SSDs?

thx, Gerald

Comments

• bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    good thinking, I use USB3.0 sticks for all my rigs. SSD is a waste of money.
  • BalgunBalgun Member Posts: 29
    People use SSD´s because they are fast, quite cheap now and energy efficient.
    If you are fine with an usb stick, go for it.
  • garrett92895garrett92895 Member Posts: 39
    I use USBs on my Windows (using Windows to Go) rigs because they are cheaper and also less clutter than a hard drive.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    ssd, if I had to wait 1min between reboots tweaking and blue screening the box would be a nightmare.

I do most of mine remotely and ping the box while working on it so I know when its gone down, with using SSD I lose only 3 pings on a reboot, which is quite amazing really. This also means even if it were to reboot for any reason mining will start much quicker...time is money :)
  • mine_ethmine_eth Member Posts: 45
    Im gonna revive this thread by asking if its better to go for a kingston v300 60gb ssd, or any other HDD for that matter?

Which one is gonna be more reliable?
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    The ones that you use windows of the go, how much memory ram you have installed? Tried using it with my rigs 6gpu and 4gb of ram and told me that I had insufficient memory for run claymore

I use USBs on my Windows (using Windows to Go) rigs because they are cheaper and also less clutter than a hard drive.

• breathesumetherbreathesumether Member Posts: 20
    jsanzsp said:

The ones that you use windows of the go, how much memory ram you have installed? Tried using it with my rigs 6gpu and 4gb of ram and told me that I had insufficient memory for run claymore

I'm using 4GB of RAM w/ 6 GPUs, and Claymore's latest v 7.3 . According to his README file, you need to expand your virtual memory size to at least 16GB

'For multi-GPU systems, set Virtual Memory size in Windows at least 16 GB:
    "Computer Properties / Advanced System Settings / Performance / Advanced / Virtual Memory"'

You may need a larger SSD than 60GB, mine's 120GB so it runs okay.
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited November 2016

jsanzsp said:

I'm using 4GB of RAM w/ 6 GPUs, and Claymore's latest v 7.3 . According to his README file, you need to expand your virtual memory size to at least 16GB

'For multi-GPU systems, set Virtual Memory size in Windows at least 16 GB:
    "Computer Properties / Advanced System Settings / Performance / Advanced / Virtual Memory"'

You may need a larger SSD than 60GB, mine's 120GB so it runs okay.
    perfect is the virtual memory thanks
  • LickMyNvidiaLickMyNvidia Member Posts: 36
    I would NOT use an SSD for mining if you are using multiple GPU's. The reason is that you need a minimum 16GB swap file. The swap file is going to turn a portion of your HD into RAM.

According to a post I read on techradar.com or techreport.com or something; they did a shoot out of SSD's to see how long they would last. If I remember correctly the first two SSD's failed at around 700TB of rewriting, the best drive failed around 2.5PB of rewriting.

Your HD is not going to dictate the speed at which you can mine. My RX 480's are mining away at ~25MHs connected to 7200rpm mechanical drives.

I would get some decent mechanical drives and invest my money elsewhere
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Lots of disinfo in this thread...
  • AlushiAlushi Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2017
    boysie said:

ssd, if I had to wait 1min between reboots tweaking and blue screening the box would be a nightmare.

I do most of mine remotely and ping the box while working on it so I know when its gone down, with using SSD I lose only 3 pings on a reboot, which is quite amazing really. This also means even if it were to reboot for any reason mining will start much quicker...time is money :)

nice, i would like to know the life time to be considered con an SSD with a rig working 24/7,, btw 64gb or 128? :)
  • RoughCoinRoughCoin Member Posts: 5
    I will be switching my rigs to HD as lifespan on SSD are short and would fail after about 50,000 r/w for consumers type ssds.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    I prefer ssd, because of lifespan. An hdd have a motor, that's powered on for 24/7, and in hot environment, it's destined to fail.
    There's not much writing to disk when mining, and the lifespan of sdds are affected only by writes.