7x GPU Ethereum miner-New build

Mr_xMr_x Member Posts: 7
edited November 2016 in Mining
Howdy folks,
It has been a pleasure reading all the great information in this forum, I hope to be able to someday contribute and help everyone in return.

My new Ethereum miner,

I'm not great with linux but do have the goal of eventually becoming Windows free, and mining Eth with Linux. So for now my 80gb hard drive will be dual boot, Ubuntu/Win 7 Pro.
I found Win 7 Pro for 35.00 at, https://www.gamecheap.net/product/windows-7-professional-32bit64bit-global-license-product-oem-key-digital-download/ and just couldn't pass on that deal!

My proposed hardware is as follows,

Mobo- MSI Z97-Gaming 5.
CPU- Gi840 Haswell.
Ram- Gskill (2x8 GB) DDR 2133.
HDD- WD 80 GB Sata
GPU's- 7x Sapphire Nitro 480 8GB, (11260-01-206).
Risers- 7x v .006 PCI risers
PSU's- 1 FSP 750 watt, and 1 FSP 460 watt = 1210 watts1310 max.
PSU- Adapter 1x Dual power supply PSU adapter switch.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with my plans.
I'm planning on using a modded GPU BIOS and under clocking, so I'm hoping the 1210 watts of PSU will be enough.
I have never combined two PSU's with a adapter switch and am not sure whether its ok to use two different wattage PSU's or if it would be best to use a matched pair.
Thank you, I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Comments

• bhanu545bhanu545 Member Posts: 53
    I hate this mobo. replaced It and still It wont work with 7th gpu. only 6 gpus work fine. dnt waste ur money on this one.
  • secantdatabasesecantdatabase Member Posts: 10
    Update us if this works please
  • Mr_xMr_x Member Posts: 7
    bhanu545 said:

I hate this mobo. replaced It and still It wont work with 7th gpu. only 6 gpus work fine. dnt waste ur money on this one.

Google " 7 gpu msi z97 miner Zcash " and see what you think. I have seen a couple of running 7 GPU builds using same configuration with newer brand name PSU'S.

I definitely realize failure is a possibility here! I appreciate your input and I hope you find an answer to the problem you have had, and of coarse share!
    I have three other directions I can go if this fails, but don't plan to give up easily!

Update us if this works please

I will! I am taking pics and saving them to PB, the GPU's came today, Im typing on the MSI Z97 right now.
    I was able to confirm all the GPU's can spin the fans, lol. decided to order another FSP 750 watt PSU to pair up with this one when I discovered my old Fortron 460 watt does not have the 8 pin vga cables.

I will keep you guys posted and will probably be back with some really dumb questions very soon!
  • AriesIV10AriesIV10 Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2016
    Here is my 7 GPU RIG.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1676763.40

7 MSI RX 470 X: 990H/s
    955 Watts at the wall
    68 ave Watts (MSI Afterburner)
    57C ave GPU Temp (MSI Afterburner)
    47C CPU Temp

You can see the details at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1676763.40
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 92
    AriesIV10 said:

Here is my 7 GPU RIG.

955 Watts at the wall
    47C CPU Temp

hi, whats your hs rate? because it says: "7 msi rx 470 X:990H/s" :(

ty
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Akroma said:

Here is my 7 GPU RIG.
    hi, whats your hs rate? because it says: "7 msi rx 470 X:990H/s" :(ty

AriesIV10 said:

990H/s

He means 990 Sol/s on Zcash. Its most likely around ~200MH/s on ETH.
    Updated settings on my 7 GPU RIG.

More details at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1676763.0

1015 Sol/s
    7 MSI RX470s
    968 Watts at the wall
    49C CPU Temp
    1500 Strap
    MSI Afterburner settings: 1950 Memory Clock, 1200 Core Clock

My main goal is profitability = W/Hs (less is better)
    Previously I was at .97 W/Sols
    I am now at .95 W/Sols

To Undervolt I would loose efficiency and hashrate.  I also get more Hs and no Errors/Rejects!  Very Stable as well.  

• theclamtheclam Member Posts: 91
    I can't get my 7th GPU slot to be recognized on the MSI z97 Gaming 5.
    PCIE all set to Gen 1
    Tried PCIe clock at 32 and 96
    Set 8x4x4
    Only shows 6 GPUs

Any ideas?
  • kaese2002kaese2002 Member Posts: 10
    theclam said:

I can't get my 7th GPU slot to be recognized on the MSI z97 Gaming 5.
    PCIE all set to Gen 1
    Tried PCIe clock at 32 and 96
    Set 8x4x4
    Only shows 6 GPUs

Any ideas?

Run the 6GPU mod again...i need to do the reg edit after each card i added...
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Disable the onboard gpu in bios.
    edited November 2016
    There is not an option disable onboard gpu, onboard graphics adapter, onboard vga or any other option in the bios to disable the onboard graphics card. Multi-monitor under integrated peripherals is disabled.

6 gpu mod does not apply since the BIOS doesn't see the 7 cards and i'm running ethos.
  • cornlingercornlinger Member Posts: 107
    My best advice I can give: STOP using Windows! With Linux, you can recognize any number of cards without any problem! Windows won't support more than 4/5 cards, 6 cards are only possible using the mod. So just start to use some better OS and stop complaining about not getting 7 cards running on Windows.
  • kaese2002kaese2002 Member Posts: 10
    Disabling means not to disable but set primary adapter to PCI-E on asrock boards...

My best advice I can give: STOP using Windows! With Linux, you can recognize any number of cards without any problem! Windows won't support more than 4/5 cards, 6 cards are only possible using the mod. So just start to use some better OS and stop complaining about not getting 7 cards running on Windows.

Yeah, I stopped that a while ago.. Ethos / Ubuntu
  • murendiemurendie Member Posts: 3
    Akroma said:

AriesIV10 said:

Here is my 7 GPU RIG.

955 Watts at the wall
    47C CPU Temp

hi, whats your hs rate? because it says: "7 msi rx 470 X:990H/s" :(

ty
    Where did you get the case ? I like it
    AriesIV10 said:

Updated settings on my 7 GPU RIG.

1015 Sol/s
    7 MSI RX470s
    968 Watts at the wall
    49C CPU Temp
    1500 Strap
    MSI Afterburner settings: 1950 Memory Clock, 1200 Core Clock

My main goal is profitability = W/Hs (less is better)
    Previously I was at .97 W/Sols
    I am now at .95 W/Sols

To Undervolt I would loose efficiency and hashrate.  I also get more Hs and no Errors/Rejects!  Very Stable as well.  

Man that is sweet! I have an old lian li case that has similar airflow design, if there's any dust around that thing will suck it up. Thanks for posting your rig. unfortunately mine wont be as pretty.
    Hope everyone gets there rigs going! The MSI Z97 gaming 5 MoBo auto disables the onboard graphics when you install a vid card in a x16 slot.
    That also seems to be a good place to start installing gpu's and drivers, I started with a gpu in the x16 slot with the monitor connected, then 2,3,4,5 couldnt get #6 to install. Ubuntu kind of turned me off when the drivers ramped up the fans to 75% lol. Im waiting on Ethos hoping I can get a little instant gratuity and get this thing mining. After the stress goes away i will play with bios mods, then slowly come back to the windows and registry hacks.

Here is that registery Hack

I couldn't get it to work, probably just need to settle down and do more reading I guess. Good luck everyone, Ethos will be here tomorrow evening, I will let you all know how that goes.
  • HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48
    Ugh, you just invested in a 7GPU rig to mine ethereum? I would start researching other altcoins to mine. While ethereum will be around for a while the mining bomb will be going off very soon. Meaning a switch to proof of stake. I'll keep a few rigs going through the end of the year while i'm strategising for where i'll be commiting my hasing power to next year. Mining too many coins in a year = a giant headache during tax time. I dont know what country your in but in the US we have to pay revenue based on the price when it was mined AND calculate any capital gains//losses and pay taxes on gains if their are any when it's sold. Switching around coins all the time requires very discliplined book keeping. Minning ethereum this year was a strategic choice. Not switching to other coins even when others may have been profitable at times I.E. ETC, or ZEC was also strategic. People who decided to use mining pools auto switching algorithms are going to give their accountants are heart attack!
    From the inception of Bitcoin to the present date, this has been one of several hobbies for me. I have a day job.
    When I retire in a few years I will have plenty of time to scan through the 100's, 1000's(?) of digital coins, but will more than likely find something productive.

I flashed the MoBo with v 1.4 firmware and was able to see 6 gpu w/win7, but I believe am lacking the amps to post with 7 GPU's.
    With 6 GPU's The monitor doesn't come up until after it gets to the win 7 login screen.

BTW, this is a help thread, so if anyone has anything positive to contribute, go right ahead. I will post back after I have addressed the amps issue, thanks...

• AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 92
    HasLux said:

Ugh, you just invested in a 7GPU rig to mine ethereum? I would start researching other altcoins to mine. While ethereum will be around for a while the mining bomb will be going off very soon. Meaning a switch to proof of stake. I'll keep a few rigs going through the end of the year while i'm strategising for where i'll be commiting my hasing power to next year. Mining too many coins in a year = a giant headache during tax time. I dont know what country your in but in the US we have to pay revenue based on the price when it was mined AND calculate any capital gains//losses and pay taxes on gains if their are any when it's sold. Switching around coins all the time requires very discliplined book keeping. Minning ethereum this year was a strategic choice. Not switching to other coins even when others may have been profitable at times I.E. ETC, or ZEC was also strategic. People who decided to use mining pools auto switching algorithms are going to give their accountants are heart attack!

hello. i know this is not the correct place :( but is the eth transition from pow to pos happening soon? as in months? or in years? thanks :C i am just starting in the world of mining...

• cleversergecleverserge Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I'm trying to built 7x GPU rig with MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. The problem I faced is that MB is not starting when 2+ GPUs are connected via USB risers. It works only with onboard graphic controller or with only one GPU connected to 16xPCI-E via powered USB riser. Please share what tweaks you are making to get 7GPUs work

Any help is appreciated

Best regards,
    Serge

edited January 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to built 7x GPU rig with MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. The problem I faced is that MB is not starting when 2+ GPUs are connected via USB risers. It works only with onboard graphic controller or with only one GPU connected to 16xPCI-E via powered USB riser. Please share what tweaks you are making to get 7GPUs work

Any help is appreciated

Best regards,
    Serge

Hi, sorry I haven't been around for a while, this thread kind of took off in another direction and doesn't really seem worth finishing.

I hope you got things figured out!

The MSI Z97 Gaming MoBo automatically disables the on-board video when you disconnect the monitor. When you install multiple GPU you will need to disconnect your monitor from the on-board video and connect it to one of the installed video cards.

I was unable to get seven cards to run on this MoBo, and after much frustration I noticed the fans not spinning on one of the vid cards. Long story short, out of 7 rx 480, one of them was DOA.

I substituted with a 7990, so in fact ended up with a 8 GPU! I don't recommend this, because the 7990 is a PITA to get running stable every-time you install anything new.

For anyone having problems installing GPU, drivers, or flashing bios, I recommend looking up the long thread by "Boysie".
    I don't have time right now or I would find the thread and leave a link, maybe will edit later good luck!

ETA: with 24hr limit on editing, its not likely I will be posting a link, and this thread can be removed, I am done here!

• yodiyodi Member Posts: 265 ✭✭

i think that to , but you can't get core voltage lower like with Msi AB ... or may be can but never found how :'(
    that why i never switch windows , i like stability if win7 but it s bad to reconize more than 5 rx480 gpu ...