OSX - fatal error with go-client

cryptexcryptex Member Posts: 7
edited February 2014 in Geth - Go Implementation
So I installed Go, Mercurial and GMP and then tried to install ethereum through the prompt.

"go get -u -t github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum"
->

# github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go
in file included from src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/secp256.go:9:
In file included from ././secp256k1/src/secp256k1.c:5:
In file included from ././secp256k1/src/impl/num.h:8:
In file included from ././secp256k1/src/impl/../num.h:9:
././secp256k1/src/num_gmp.h:8:10: fatal error: 'gmp.h' file not found
#include gmp.h
^
1 error generated.

So their is sth. missing in obscurens repository, I guess.

Help?

Comments

• accapeaccape Member Posts: 66
    Did you install the development files for gmp?
  • cryptexcryptex Member Posts: 7
    I installed the "gmp-5.1.3.tar.bz2" in the download section. Are there any special development files?
  • charleycharley Member Posts: 6
  • cphicphi Member Posts: 46
    I followed: http://ethereum-miner.tumblr.com/post/75201773371/osx-guide-to-installing-and-compiling-a-binary-for-osx

I am getting this same error on the "go get" step. Anyone get past this?
  • cryptexcryptex Member Posts: 7
    pretty sure sth is missing in the repository, can anyone make a pull request on github?
  • joeyjoey Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    If you have brew, do
    brew update
    then
    brew install gmp
    This will install gmp-5.1.3 (latest version?) for you

EDIT: https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/pull/11
    ^see this pull request
  • ChristianPeelChristianPeel Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2014
    I was able to build and use the go client, but it doesn't seem to have as much documentation as the main c++ client. Is there any guide for how to do simple things like create an address and send ETH?

Alternatively, I'd love a guide for building the c++ client on OSX using tools available in X code and Mac Ports, plus whatever else is needed.
  • stroblstrobl Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    unfortunately I'm having the same problem:

#include
    ^

Is there anyone who can help?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Hello @Strobl - things have changed significantly since February so this thread is no longer valid. Have a look at forum.ethereum.org/discussion/905/go-ethereum-cli-ethereal-simple-build-guide-for-osx for instructions and start from the beginning. Let me know how you get on, I'm always happy to help.
    edited May 2014
    hi stephan,
    actually i tried exactly your tutorial and the error appeared; did google all the way and came to this forum post from february... i have installed gmp 6.0.0a ? thanks for your help already in advance

edit: will try to reinstall my osx - maybe there are some git reps messing around; updating this weekend...
    Post edited by strobl on
    Hey @strobl‌ - we are having a hackathon today and someone had the exact same problem despite using a clean OSX vm. While it makes not much sense, it appears this could have been a compiler difference between OSX builds. Jeffrey is going to push a fix ASAP.
    hey @Stephan_Tual‌ - even with a clean osx it was not possible unfortunately; looking forward to the push. thanks for your great work
  • awrelllawrelll BucurestiMember Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Hello,
    I also have a problem.

[GUI] Starting GUI
    2014/05/25 19:34:24 wallet.qml:477: file:////Users/Aurel/go/src/github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereal/assets/qml/wallet.qml:477: ReferenceError: parent is not defined

any ideas what's that about?
    edited May 2014
    @awrell are you starting from the correct path at $GOPATH/src/github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereal?

@strobl‌ RC9 is out, but can you please let me know of your OSX version out of curiosity?
    edited May 2014
    @Stephan_Tual‌ yes, i am starting from the correct path. I'll dig into it more. Thanks for your reply!
    EDIT: Forget about it, i got over this error by modifying the wallet.qml file at :477.
    Post edited by awrelll on
  • SimonLondonSimonLondon Member Posts: 17
    I get that error all the time its just a UI bug on one of the UI objects.

I just ignore it. Your able to mine and run contracts.
  • winchellwinchell San Francisco, CAMember Posts: 16
    edited May 2014
    OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks (upgraded today)

#include <gmp.h>
    ^
    1 error generated.
    For those getting the gmp.h file not found error: I know it's a bit involved, and I would understand if you're not interested in trying, but parallels.com has a free trial version that you can download and run for 14 days. It reads from your recovery partition to boot a second copy of OSX in a vm and I'd love to know if you still get that error on that, too.
  • obscurenobscuren Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Please make absolute sure you've done "brew install gmp". I've also just pushed out a fix which should, hopefully, resolve the issue on OS X. If anyone could confirm that'd be great.

Please "go get -u github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereum"
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the update. Solved my first error, got two more. Have fixes:

Fix for #1: Change src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/./secp256k1/src/impl/num_gmp.h:287 to:
    unsigned char num[257] = {};

Problem #1:
    $ go get -u github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereum
    # github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go
    In file included from src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/secp256.go:11:
    In file included from src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/./secp256k1/src/secp256k1.c:5:
    In file included from src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/./secp256k1/src/impl/num.h:11:
    src/github.com/obscuren/secp256k1-go/./secp256k1/src/impl/num_gmp.h:286:37: warning: passing 'char [257]' to parameter of type 'const unsigned char *' converts between pointers to integer types with different sign [-Wpointer-sign]

Fix for #2: brew install swi-prolog

Problem #2:
    $ go get -u github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereum
    # github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/ethereum
    37: error: use of undeclared identifier 'rl_catch_signals'
    37: error: use of undeclared identifier 'rl_resize_terminal'; did you mean 'rl_reset_terminal'?
    37: error: use of undeclared identifier 'rl_catch_sigwinch'

Just started the miner for the first time. Thanks!
    anyone checking out RC10 ?
    @winchell‌ - the first message is a warning only and can be ignored - fixed on RC11 anyway. The second message is odd, and swi-prolog shouldn't be necessary. Thank you for the workaround anyway.

@awrelll‌ - RC11 confirmed working 100% on OSX 10.9.2 - following forum.ethereum.org/discussion/905/go-ethereum-cli-ethereal-simple-build-guide-for-osx on a VM clean build.
    @Stephan_Tual‌ Thank you for the update man! I see that Jeff is a hard working man :D
    edited May 2014
    Update: I subsequently had ethereal install issues and decided to do a fresh OSX install. Everything worked fine. Most likely I had all kinds of conflicting things lying around (MacPorts, Fink, etc) from the previous 5 years.
  • rmsamsrmsams Member Posts: 10
    Same error here:

In file included from ../../../obscuren/secp256k1-go/secp256.go:11:
    In file included from ././secp256k1/src/secp256k1.c:5:
    In file included from ././secp256k1/src/impl/num.h:8:
    In file included from ././secp256k1/src/impl/../num.h:9:
    #include
    ^
    1 error generated.
    # gopkg.in/qml.v1
    In file included from ../../../../gopkg.in/qml.v1/all.cpp:2:
    ../../../../gopkg.in/qml.v1/cpp/capi.cpp:1:10: fatal error: 'QApplication' file not found

I'm sure it's b/c I'm using macports instead of brew (I have my reasons). My gmp headers are in /opt/local/include, which is probably different from homebrew. Any suggestions for how we can change the build to accomodate macports?

Mavricks 10.9.4 build 13E28.

Thanks