2x r9 280x Hash is low?

EONEZEONEZ Member Posts: 11
Hi,

Am new to ETH mining, been mining about a week with MinerGate - on 1 of my cards.

I have ordered 4x r9 280x soon doing my first mining rig.

I am experiencing very low hases,

At the moment am running 2x r9 280x , one is Matrix Platinum and one is Direct CU II TOP each average around 24-25mh's but together i only get 30?

Where am i going wrong...

Thank you!

Comments

• shutfushutfu ✭✭ Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    isnt minergate a scam?

also, try claymore's miner in eth only mode. I use version 4.3b

alternatively try genoil's ethminer
  • EONEZEONEZ Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2016
    can you send me how to add a pool and which pool should i use?
    Minergate a scam?? why so?
  • cornlingercornlinger Member Posts: 107
    Just use Claymore and ethermine.org as a pool, works much better!
    edited June 2016
    can someone help me set it up ?

Am not sure - if i did it right?

I installed the proxy for windows.

I am running the following code

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethpool.org:3333 -ewal xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -epsw x

ave defined my wallet inside the proxy config too.

Do i need to do anything with the pools? make workers??

here is what it says : http://i.imgur.com/Mq5nyRG.png

• shutfushutfu ✭✭ Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    looks like you did it right. 280x get 19-20mh/s each
    edited June 2016
    Yea looks about right,
    I had to change the pool to EU as it was 90ms faster.

Any other tweaking do i need to do?

how do i know when my money gets sent to wallet??

Post edited by EONEZ on
  • meatologistmeatologist Member Posts: 44
    Don't forget about the driver version......

v16 is known to cause performance problems. I'm using AMD driver 15.201.1001.0
  • stoonstoon ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    With that low hash it's going to take a really long time before you get ethereum. If I had that hash rate I would use ethermine. Europe: eu1.ethermine.org:4444 or eu1.ethermine.org:14444 It will pay you when you earn 1 Ethereum. Compared to ethpool where you have to build enough credits to get to the top.
    I have changed the pool to eu1.ethermine.org:4444 and cash out is every 0.5 ether.

Awesome, when i get home ill check the driver settings..

Any other info i need?
  • stoonstoon ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    If you wait till 1 eth you won't be charged the .005 transaction fee. Not sure what your clock speeds are set to, but mine are 1150core 1500mem. I'm sure there around there because of your hash rate. Maybe -ethi 16, it turns the eth intensity up. Worth a try
    I am now running 3x r9 280x and the psu is very hot.

Am using corsair hx 1000w.

Thinking to bridge my TX850 and HX1000 with an PSU Adapter to split the load for more cards that are coming.

Thanks to all for input - so far so good. Maybe little tweaks are needed to crank up the mh/s but for now its good.

Hi Again - small update the hash rates have dropped drastically. 16mhz each is this normal??
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    adaseb said:

yup

why is that?
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    TLB Thrashing is causing performance drop on 7970/280x 3GB cards. The buffer is filling up so that more cache misses occur which costs the card clock cycles (thus reducing performance). Try tighten your memory timings to get more hash. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do.

TLB Thrashing is causing performance drop on 7970/280x 3GB cards. The buffer is filling up so that more cache misses occur which costs the card clock cycles (thus reducing performance). Try tighten your memory timings to get more hash. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do.

Thanks for the clarification!
    spot on.
  • newmznewmz ✭✭✭ AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    I used to run a couple of 280X on my rigs but I sold them because they were only hashing at 17-18 even with a big overclock, and using a lot of power. You are much better off getting an RX470 or even finding a used 290 which will get you 28-31.
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    Does a 290 use substaintially more power than a 280x? I have a rig with a 280x that I want to replace, however the PSU is essentially maxed out at this point. Was going to get a 380 but if a 290 will work...
  • newmznewmz ✭✭✭ AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @SpydrMstrmnd Well yes a 290 will use more than a 280x but not a huge amount more. When you say "maxed out" what do you mean? A good PSU will often have a decent amount of headroom. Have you actually measured what your power consumptions is? I would call a PSU maxed out if it is within 90% of it's rated output, so if I was using a 1000W PSU I would prefer it not to go above 900W. I am running a 1000W PSU and I have seen it get to 920W but it's usually pulling around 850W

A 380 will use much less power because you can run a 380 at core 800, memory 1500 and still get 20-21mh/s out of it - but a 290 even at factory core / mem should do 27-28mh/s. I have many 290s running at overclocked core and underclocked memory which hash at 30+mh/s.

I would guess that a 290 will probably need 40-60 watts more than a 280x.
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    It's a 750watt PSU running at just under 800watts at the wall. Good quality gold cert. An electrical guy I know said a quality psu is good for at least 8-10% above rated at the wall, and my experience has borne that out. Won't take it above 800 though.

A 380 may be on the horizon.
    Am going to sell all 3 of my r9 280x's. and get the 290x's or 380s.

Thanks