Need some help to begin mining

Yaseeny15Yaseeny15 Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone
I am new to ethereum mining and to this community.
I am hoping that someone may help me out with a few things.
1.) So basically I have got a MSI GeForce GTX980. According to their website they say this can reach speeds of 1200MH/s is this correct? Is this the speed it will be mining at?
2.) I have used the guide on the following site to setup my miner https://cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-mine-ethereum/Is this guide correct and still viable or are there better ways to do it. I am currently syncing the blockchain.
3. Should I go at it alone or join a mining pool?

I thank you in advance for your help and please excuse me if I made any newbie mistakes with wording etc.

Comments

• mine_ethmine_eth Member Posts: 45
    Yaseeny15 said:

Hi everyone
    1.) So basically I have got a MSI GeForce GTX980. According to their website they say this can reach speeds of 1200MH/s is this correct? Is this the speed it will be mining at?
    2.) I have used the guide on the following site to setup my miner https://cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-mine-ethereum/Is this guide correct and still viable or are there better ways to do it. I am currently syncing the blockchain.

I thank you in advance for your help and please excuse me if I made any newbie mistakes with wording etc.

I am not that experienced to answer all of your questions, but what I can tell you for sure is that you will not be mining at 1200 MH/s with that card! In fact, I am not even sure that you can hit 10MH/s
  • Yaseeny15Yaseeny15 Member Posts: 4
    mine_eth said:

Yaseeny15 said:

Hi everyone

I am not that experienced to answer all of your questions, but what I can tell you for sure is that you will not be mining at 1200 MH/s with that card! In fact, I am not even sure that you can hit 10MH/s
    Thank you for your input and honesty
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    If you're mining on Windows 8 or 10 the 9xx series from nvidia is a pain in the behind to get working. You'll need to use an older driver version and a miner that is compiled for CUDA 6.5- I recommend Genoil's miner.

I had a GTX 960 that could hit around 10mh/s so the 980 may do somewhere between that and 20mh/s but I'm not sure.
  • Yaseeny15Yaseeny15 Member Posts: 4
    rether said:

If you're mining on Windows 8 or 10 the 9xx series from nvidia is a pain in the behind to get working. You'll need to use an older driver version and a miner that is compiled for CUDA 6.5- I recommend Genoil's miner.

I had a GTX 960 that could hit around 10mh/s so the 980 may do somewhere between that and 20mh/s but I'm not sure.

Do you know the reason why it only reaches such a small portion of its' potential speed? Also do you think if I used Ubuntu it would get a higher speed?
  • Etcminer1Etcminer1 Member Posts: 5
    Do a bit of research regarding profitability before you dump a bunch of cash into hardware. As with most profitable coins, difficulty increases until it no longer becomes profitable to mine. I mined litecoin until it was breakeven with the cost of electricity years back. There are some great deals on 8gb RX 480s out there for around $210