Been mining for approx. 3 days now and I'd like to know if my numbers are "normal"

EcMonkeyEcMonkey Member Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Mining
Hey guys! Been reading you for a while now, but subscribed only yesterday.

I just built a new home PC that I use for mining. I will sometimes work on it, but I'm no gamer, so the discrete GPUs are only used for mining. And right now, I don't use the PC for anything but mining, just to make sure I don't interfere with it.

PC specs:
  • Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390 Backplate (8 GB) x2 ... bought used from a gamer friend who couldn't stand the heat anymore! :-D
  • Intel Core i5 6400 (has integrated GPU, so I can work with the PC when it's mining)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) (2 x 8GB)
  • EVGA 1000GQ 210-GQ-1000-V1 80+ GOLD 1000W
  • GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)
Software:
  • Windows 10, fully updated
  • Crimson drivers: 16.9.1 (also tried 15.12 as often suggested)
  • Claymore's Dual Ethereum+Decred_Siacoin_Lbry AMD+NVIDIA GPU Miner v7.2 Beta
I've been mining on Ethermine since late Thursday night. At first, I was mining with only one GPU as was still waiting for my new case, and the old one was too small. If I'm correct, I had an average of 30 to 40 shares per hour. Since I added a second GPU, it varies a lot between 45 and 60 shares per hour. Effective hashrate is probably where it should be for the GPUs I own: between 55 and 60 MH/s. 60 seems pretty standard for two R9 390.

My questions:

- Is 45 to 60 shares per hour "normal" for my hardware? (uncle rate between 0% and 5%)
- Is such a fluctuation normal? (I guess it depends a bit on luck/probabilities)

Thanks a lot for your time and help!

By the way, I'm new to mining, but I am an experienced software developer as well as a part-time sysadmin (Linux and Windows). You can go technical on me. :smiley:

Comments

• BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    yes to both questions. why 390, though?
    great cards, but too much heat/power.
    may I suggest MSI 470 4gb, which could be had for $190 IN US.
    Since you are sysadmin, modding rom would be a child's play for you.
    with a modded rom, these MSI cards are known to produce 27-28mh/s at 140w or about (half of 390 wattage) while being very very quiet.
  • EcMonkeyEcMonkey Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your answers @Biodom.

I got the 390's from a friend, like I said. I paid 185 USD each. They were like new. Living in Quebec, my options are much more limited in terms of good pricing for electronics. The MSI 470's go for about 205 USD (plus 15% taxes). But electricity varies from $.04/kWh to $.06/kWh (in USD). And right now, the two GPUs are keeping the basement warm. At this time of the year, heating would be on 24h a day otherwise.

So thanks for the advice about the GPUs, but it's a bit late for me, and it's not so bad anyway. ;-)

Any hints on where I should start checking for ROM modding? I've never done that in the past.
  • EcMonkeyEcMonkey Member Posts: 7
    Also, I made some tests lowering the GPU voltage with Sapphire Trixx. Right now, both cards lowered by 63mv, and slightly overclocked at 1100Mhz, though I'm not sure it's working OK, but that's another story.

VDDC Power In values are 165W and 160W and stable. Is that total consumption or just a subset of what the card is actually using?
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    you have great electricity price, so you don't have to watch power that close. VDDC power is probably a subset. 390 (without voltage adjustment) are known to use 270-290W at peak. Not sure how much downvolted. Loved those cards, but sold them all for 470s.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    yea u could prolly mine indefinitely at .04-.06
    thats about half of what is supposed to be the US avg
    1/3 of my rates