Proposal: a separate RX card forum

newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Mining
I have been using this forum for many months. I don't have any RX series cards and I don't care about them. This is ostensibly an Ethereum Mining forum but it's become a bit of a chore for people like me to wade through all the RX related threads to try to get to something NOT about RX cards. I would respectfully like to suggest that the forum creates a sub-forum, just like the one we have for mining pools, where all you guys who spend more time flashing your RX cards ROMS than you do mining with them - can talk about it all as much as you want.

I know that the RX stuff is mining related - but it's become such a huge topic that it's pretty much taken over. I don't enjoy visiting this forum nearly as much as I used to.

@agent412 you are a mod right? Is this easy to do? Does anyone object to this idea? If so - why?

Comments

• TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    +1, great idea
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    It's temporarily. 3-4 months - and we'll see tons of topics about Vega XX cards.

So - not RX subforum. Hardware subforum. About hardware and ROM modding questions. IMHO.

• TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a "Hardware subforum. About hardware and ROM modding questions."

However I think that the majority of traffic may be in that category so everything else might be minuscule.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I can see this quickly getting messy if a hardware subforum was created. Users will be posting in the wrong subforums, and the mods will be having a hell of a time continually moving threads to their correct subforums. I've already seen this mess happening with discussions on pools in the wrong subforums.

@newmz In the end, I think you'll just have to put up with it. I myself don't mind, as i'm always expanding my farm, and RX is the future for now (atleast until POS arrives). I know you like your 290/390 cards (I also use them in my farm) but when you need the best efficiency and coolest temps, RX is the only way to go, and unfortunately, its the card of choice for all the new rigs of today.

What i'd really like to be seeing here is a big clear and easy to understand FAQ covering all aspects of mining, with step by step instructions, so that all the newbies don't have to ask the same old questions over and over again littering our mining forums. I think that would be more of a help than anything else, and in my opinion, is desperately needed. The mining eth faq on here now is already quite outdated, still talking about using ethminer and geth, which just makes things even more confusing for the newbies, especially when they hear us talking about genoil and claymore's miners..
  • DazzlinDaveDazzlinDave Member Posts: 8
    +100 to a hardware subforum
    hasher said:

I can see this quickly getting messy if a hardware subforum was created. Users will be posting in the wrong subforums, and the mods will be having a hell of a time continually moving threads to their correct subforums. I've already seen this mess happening with discussions on pools in the wrong subforums.

What do you think we have here now? If this place is not a mess, than I guess I'm blind as a bat.
    I have suggested this or similar a couple of times since I joined up in June, and it was pretty much ignored. Whats the matter with being able to go to a subforum to look up exactly what you need in hardware? Nothing at all !

I dont want to put pressure on the mods, but I feel they need to step up a bit and clean this site up. ( and thankyou very much if you can/do :) )

• blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    Jukebox said:

It's temporarily. 3-4 months - and we'll see tons of topics about Vega XX cards.

So - not RX subforum. Hardware subforum. About hardware and ROM modding questions. IMHO.

I cast a white ball and second the creation of a hardware subforum.
    such subforum could also be divided per Nvidia/AMD and generation of crads.
    but hardware subforum would be good enough.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    OK sure, I guess a hardware sub would work, but it's probably really up to the mods right? It means more work as @hasher (probably correctly) predicts - I guess it's up to them if they can be bothered.

I think an up to date beginner's guide and FAQ would be great, but I also think it's unfair to expect anyone to write one for free (it's a lot of work!), and it will probably only be useful to anyone for another 3-4 months anyway. I think the "ice-age" is starting. Difficulty rise vs. electricity costs will probably force me to stop in about a month.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    i think the problem is just like jukebox said
    rx cards are new and theres not really much more to improve on them
    most the new threads popping up about rx cards are ppl who arent reading other posts b4 they make a new topic
    just asking a question or asking a crazy complicated question that has more to do with the person themselves, this is a form of forum spam
    ppl are lazy, someone complained about the roms not being clearly marked right all cuz he didnt want to read
    u could redirect these into a new sub forum but then in 2 months nothing will get posted there again
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    rx 400 series owners club