Is the return on investment is possible?

ipnetipnet Member Posts: 3
hello
I want to buy several SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO+ 8GB OC GDDR5 for ETH mining.
In the future, after the finish ETH mining, What can be done?

Comments

• XereoXereo Member Posts: 55
    Honestly you are too late. Rather buy ETH if you believe in its future.
  • deucedeuce37deucedeuce37 Member Posts: 35
    If you have access to cheap parts you might break even but you won't make much. For example you could build a 6x rx 470 4gb rig for $1450 which would give you 169 MH/s at 810 watts. It would take 14 months to make all your money back at $0.07/kWh according to one of the calculators that at least tries to account for the difficulty increasing over time. If you think you can sell the equipment for half of what you paid for it then you could break even closer to 4 months. You'll hit ROI even faster if you have some spare parts sitting around to reduce initial investment.

Not knowing when the switch to proof of stake will be is one of the biggest risks since you'll be forced to stop mining eth and lots of people will be dumping hardware.

Put in your own numbers on the profit site in the pic below or one of the others that accounts for difficulty increases and compare it to how much you think it will cost for the build. I used the default diff change on that site but it would be a good idea to look in to why they chose that number and if you believe it. It's better than those sites that act like you're going to get a constant income rate though.

• blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    ipnet said:

hello
    I want to buy several SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO+ 8GB OC GDDR5 for ETH mining.
    In the future, after the finish ETH mining, What can be done?

there will be more to mine after ETH goes to POS, and I dont think it takes That long to break even, I think you can still break even before POS and I think were pretty much through most of the wave of new workers that the 400 series cards produced.
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    Difficulty has gone full retard
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Most likely and worse case scenario you will make $0 after you sell your GPU.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Xereo said:

Honestly you are too late. Rather buy ETH if you believe in its future.

I think this is definiely the best advice if you want to do this as an investment. It is pretty likely that if the network stabilizes and the recent attacks subside, the price will go back up, and then hopefully if POS is accepted and works, it will go up even further.

If you start mining now, not only do you have the whole issue of POS looming and difficulty rising dramatically, but it isn't all that simple to mine effectively - there is a bit of learning to do. Far easier if you have some spare money to just go buy some ETH at whatever exchange you can use.

Personally I have converted most of my ETH to BTC while the attacks have been making it hard to send ETH and driven the price down, but I intend to buy back into ETH and hold it after the hard-fork happens and things stabilize.
  • densetsdensets Member Posts: 69
    $1450 buys 120 aprox. It would take a 11 months to get that much if you buy the 6x rx 470 4gb rig accounting for difficulty. If eth price drops you can sell the hardware and as someone pointed out above me you could break even at 4 months selling the rig for half of what you paid.
  • blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    densets said:

$1450 buys 120 aprox. It would take a 11 months to get that much if you buy the 6x rx 470 4gb rig accounting for difficulty. If eth price drops you can sell the hardware and as someone pointed out above me you could break even at 4 months selling the rig for half of what you paid.

or he could keep the rig and build 2 gaming rigs after for 1/2 the price :)
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Use your $2000 or so to invest in ETH itself, then sit back and watch the market value.

It should go up over time (12-24 months).
    If POS occurs quicker than estimated you'll have around 160ETH in your wallet ready to purchase your 'share/stake' in the ETH market.
  • chuckfeastchuckfeast Member Posts: 19
    newmz said:

Personally I have converted most of my ETH to BTC while the attacks have been making it hard to send ETH and driven the price down, but I intend to buy back into ETH and hold it after the hard-fork happens and things stabilize.

In my opinion, that's the wrong way around. The difficulty has been rocketing, but the price has stayed low during the attacks. I expect ETH price to bounce after the fork.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

newmz said:

In my opinion, that's the wrong way around. The difficulty has been rocketing, but the price has stayed low during the attacks. I expect ETH price to bounce after the fork.
    yes you are right about that - it's just after the fork now and the price is going up again. I have 108 ETH back in my wallet and another 100 due from a shapeshift that stalled late last week when the attacks were in full swing.
  • deucedeuce37deucedeuce37 Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2016
    @densets $1450 bought me 169Mh with no spare hardware available which is why I used those numbers for the example. :D I realize not everyone can get it that cheap but some can get it even cheaper.
  • vminingvmining Member Posts: 19
    I for myself do not think that I will ROI with Ethereum. But I build this business on a longer sight because there will be another coin to mine afterwards.
    And if it does not work out as planned then it was a good time. I have learned and experienced many things. And it is only money that I knew I could loose and took the risk beeing aware that it can be so.
  • bluelogicbluelogic Member Posts: 86
    Short sale you will not ROI. Long term we might all make a good chunk. Long term doesn't seem to long term anymore.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    If you're going to mine more than just Ether, then do it.

If you're only interested in Ethereum. (Not smart, should diversify...typically) Buy and hold.
  • sleweyslewey Member Posts: 6
    any business that you can get your initial investment back in less that 12 months is very good. you know how long it takes a subway sandwhich franchise to become profitable? many years
  • ursul0ursul0 Member Posts: 54
    never mind roi. just do it for fun!