How to DISABLE Recovery mode in Windows 10?

hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
While Windows 10 is great as a mining OS, there is one annoying problem I have which I never had too much of a problem with in Windows 7.

With Windows 7, if the machine isn't shut down properly, on next boot, it will ask u if you want to go into safe mode. A 30 second timer will auto select to boot Windows normally. That timer has saved me from having to manually hit enter whenever a rig has had issues.

With Windows 10, its all about "use your mouse". If you forcefully restart your machine without shutting down properly after 3 times, the Recovery screen appears on bootup. Problem now is that there is no timer. You have to manually click "Restart my PC" in order for things to go back to normal.

My rigs are stable. However, lately, the power supply coming to my server room hasn't been. So lately, the machines have been having 5-10 second power outages several times a day. While my Windows 7 rigs boot up normally after that 30 second timer, my Windows 10 rigs sit at this damn recovery screen and waits for me to select "Restart my PC". Being a mining rig, this is not good. I've lost lots of valuable mining power while the rig waits for me to connect a mouse and keyboard, and select "Restart my PC".

What i'd like to know, is how to disable this stupid recovery screen. I did some googling and tried several things such as going into command prompt with administrator priveledges and typing the following:

bcdedit /set bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures
bcdedit /set recoveryenabled No
bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures
bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

Windows tells me that the commands have been accepted, however when I test a hard reboot after 3 times, that stupid Recovery screen reappears again on bootup.

Someone please tell me how to make it boot normally no matter what happens! (powercut, BSOD, etc) Thanks :disappointed:

Comments

• glenn_txglenn_tx Member Posts: 67
    I agree. It's very annoying!! (Not to mention a serious problem for remote management) I thought I was good to go after using 'bcdedit /set recoveryenabled No'. However, now I get a NEW type of recovery screen.

What I've found so far with this screen, is if I remote cycle the power again, it'll boot. I can't confirm that this always the case, but it has been for a couple times I needed it.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    My friend suggested I buy a KVM over IP and hook it up so I can access the rig remotely at BIOS level and attend to the issue through the net. However, they are not cheap, especially if you want to buy a 16 or 32 port KVM (I have around 2.4GH of hashing power at this point in time, so you can imagine how many rigs I would have to connect to the KVM). I'm sure there's got to be an easier way to do this without jumping to the KVM route..
    Wow.. nobody knows how to disable this?
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Maybe try the {globalsettings} parameter?

bcdedit /set {globalsettings} advancedoptions false

Or possibly:
    1. Press Win+R (windows key + “R” key) to open Run
    2. Type in “msconfig” without quotes
    3. Switch the tab to “boot”
    4. In “boot options” at the bottom, uncheck “safe boot”
    5. Click Apply and OK
    6. Now restart in normal mode
    @Metz none of the above worked. Also, your second step was already unchecked as default in Windows 10,
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    hmm apart from a remote management card there isn't much info about the recovery mode... maybe something here might help:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-runs-at-every-startup-windows
    I don't have hardware issues. Its power cuts abruptly shutting down my rigs that are making windows think there is a problem, when there isn't.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    bcdedit /set default bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures
    @Heliox
    Heliox said:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit /set default bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures

The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the
    specified entry.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    Element not found.

The command is only accepted if I replace "default" with "{default}" :(
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    hasher said:

@Heliox

Heliox said:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit /set default bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures

The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the
    specified entry.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    Element not found.

The command is only accepted if I replace "default" with "{default}" :(
    Which is good, i typed the line out of the top of my head. Must have forgot those brackets :)

Greetings!
  • blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    how about just deleting the recovery partition?
    @blackwolf - recovery partition? What are you talking about? Did you even read this thread?
    edited October 2016
    hasher said:

@blackwolf - recovery partition? What are you talking about? Did you even read this thread?

doesn't recovery mode work off of the recovery partition? did you even look at your installation???
    if there is no recovery partition how can recovery mode start?
    I read the stupid thread, and I offered a possible solution, DID I [email protected]!?!?!?!?!?! its just an idea... would it work? I dont know, and i dont give a sh!t... but you could try it.. if you dont want to then fine... you dont have to be a pretentious prick about it...
    its great you know how to use a search engine and try what others have said... but can you think for yourself? is google your brain? at least when implants come out you really wont need to waste the space in your head that your "brain" currently takes up... as you dont use it anyhow!!! just take it out and put something useful there like a plant......................... considering your already a vegetable.. should suit you well
    Post edited by blackwolf on
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You get something wrong, the 'recovery partition' is needed when you fucked up your OS, the recovery mode is the 'advanced startup and debug shit'
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    The worse is when you need to actually hook a monitor+keyboard to your rig and you never knew which GPU to plug the monitor into. Its not always the main PCIe 3.0 x16 slot GPU.
    edited October 2016

You get something wrong, the 'recovery partition' is needed when you fucked up your OS, the recovery mode is the 'advanced startup and debug shit'

YOU CAN MAKE A USB RECOVERY...!!!! you DO NOT NEED THAT PARTITION!
    and you SAVE GIGABYTES ON YOUR SSD WHEN YOU DELETE THE RECOVERY PARTITION!!!
    really... what is wrong with people.. can't people think for themselves anymore...

abusive... is dealing with such ignorant people! flag that!
    What the fuck is wrong with you?

At first shut the fuck up and write normal, are you a small child or do you have a brain damage?

And second, i never asumed you have to use this!

And third, OP didnt write about the recovery partition, only you.

And now go in the corner and wank a bit, worthless piece of shit.
    edited October 2016

What the fuck is wrong with you?

At first shut the fuck up and write normal, are you a small child or do you have a brain damage?

And second, i never asumed you have to use this!

And third, OP didnt write about the recovery partition, only you.

And now go in the corner and wank a bit, worthless piece of shit.

why do you keep flagging my comments? that comment was not abusive, it was true!!!! You are ignorant for saying that you need that recovery partition!!! You said it is NEEDED, it is NOT NEEDED !

You get something wrong, the 'recovery partition' is NEEDED when you fucked up your OS, the recovery mode is the 'advanced startup and debug shit'

You see where you said needed? can you not read your own typing?? English is obviously not your native language!

you can use a USB key and make a recovery! the OP wrote about not wanting to use the recovery.. so I gave an alternative response to editing BCD... it would get rid of the recovery at boot!!! which was his main problem!

Why you so pretentious and ignorant?...

Blackwolf is on his way to getting banned on this forum.
    I didn't even bother to reply to his childish comments.
    edited October 2016
    hasher said:

Blackwolf is on his way to getting banned on this forum.
    I didn't even bother to reply to his childish comments.

you were rude to me first
    expect it back
    an eye for an eye
    you could have been nice and just said you dont want to try deleting your recovery partition, that you only want to use BCD edits... fine... but you insulted me and asked if I even read the thread... ofcoarse I read the thread... I speak english unlike house.

and you have posted other insulting comments "hasselling" people on here recently also
    if you ask me, YOU are the one who wants to cause trouble on here.. I post honest replies

I have helped people solve problems on here.. Im not like you, the one asking for help! I post real honest answers to people and sometimes have helped people get their rigs working! thats pretty good for someone who just joined! most people on here just want, they dont give... i dont want,.. i just give!
    How was I rude to you? I simply asked whether u had read this thread as confirmation on whether you fully understood what my problem was. You were the one who jumped out in full attack mode. Go take some chill pills or something dude. Don't bother being a keyboard warrior, its the internet. You're not going to win any prizes.
    hasher said:

How was I rude to you? I simply asked whether u had read this thread as confirmation on whether you fully understood what my problem was. You were the one who jumped out in full attack mode. Go take some chill pills or something dude. Don't bother being a keyboard warrior, its the internet. You're not going to win any prizes.

One of your questions, or your main concern was:
    hasher said:

What i'd like to know, is how to disable this stupid recovery screen.

and that was what my answer concerned.

and honestly I just gave you an alternative solution, that would probably work if the recovery was your main concern.. I was only trying to help you and I did find "did you even read this thread" a bit insulting because yes I did, and I posted a different solution than the one you were trying and you did not answer me at all on my possible fix. I would have appreciated a direct response to my help reply rather than my reading ability and assumed ignorance...
    One last comment.
    Yes, english is not my native language.
    But your reaction says all.

Yes i said needed but i meant it not in this context that you need it on your harddrive.

Now iam out, have a nice day ;)
    Well, with such a childish reply to my comment, do you honestly think I would bother replying? I don't know if you were having a bad day, and just had to take it out on someone (like me) or what, but your explicitly abusive reply was totally uncalled for.

One last comment.
    Yes, english is not my native language.
    But your reaction says all.

Yes i said needed but i meant it not in this context that you need it on your harddrive.

Now iam out, have a nice day ;)

the 'recovery partition' is needed

actually, YOU DID SAY the PARTITION WAS NEEDED.. that partition IS on the HARDDRIVE... dont lie and say "not in this context that you need it on your harddrive...

and Great, you AGREE with me, you CAN DELETE IT and that should FIX hashers problem. Problem SOLVED! Solution FOUND! Main concern ANSWERED!

my reaction is to ignorance ... it is shocking how ignrant people can be on here. I dont claim to know nearly everything, but I'm not going to post ignorant comments without doing some research or experimenting... they might not always be correct, but they have some basis...

House86... why do you send me this PM? why are you so PRETENTIOUS and think you are better than others??? just becuase I am new.. means I am not as good or human as you ??? I have no power here? did i want power here? do you have some sort of power here? is that how you get off???

t
    "You are here since 6 days and fuck around with members that have helped a lot of people and a far longer here than you, it seems thats the way you roll. You can flag and cry how much you want, this is the fuckin Internet and you have no power here.

No one cares about your shit posts and you are the only one i know that fucked around this much with so little knowledge.

Such a toxic behavior is not needed and wanted here.

See this as a little tip, not more, not less. "

hasher said:

Well, with such a childish reply to my comment, do you honestly think I would bother replying? I don't know if you were having a bad day, and just had to take it out on someone (like me) or what, but your explicitly abusive reply was totally uncalled for.

ofcoarse I dont expect you to identify my response as a possible solution ... as it is a possible solution to your question... you were a dick to me and that is not going to change.. I have NOT insulted anyone prior to being insulted by you and that liar house.

and Im not the first person to call you out for trying to cause shit.

let us just leave this as is.. my solution was a VALID RESPONSE TO YOUR CONCERN. you asking me if I read the thread was INSULTING.

I came here to learn, and if possible, help others learn... not to get insulted or fight...
    lets drop this and move on.. your problem should be more than solved now, throught he BCD edits OR through Deleting the Recovery partition...
    You want beef, thats your only Problem?!
    You write my pm public?

No problem with that, people know me here and you are the only one with problems with me.

You mock my lacking english and post shit in a thread nobody wants to read.

What's the point of your behavior?

Do you didnt get enough hugs from your mum or is your vagina itching?

You can tell me, iam here for you and I can send you a bit vagiclean If it helps.
    edited October 2016

You want beef, thats your only Problem?!
    You write my pm public?

No problem with that, people know me here and you are the only one with problems with me.

You mock my lacking english and post shit in a thread nobody wants to read.

What's the point of your behavior?

Do you didnt get enough hugs from your mum or is your vagina itching?

You can tell me, iam here for you and I can send you a bit vagiclean If it helps.

why do you send me PMs that just insult me and threaten me?
    you can post my reply to your PM, i dont care either.
    the point is you are the one not dropping insulting.
    I have been very rational and polite in my replies today. I overreacted in my initial post yesterday, I will admit to that.
    and its not that I have a problem with you, you have a problem with ME... did I reply to you with insults? I may have insulted hasher back after his reply.. let's face it.. i TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE THREAD AND POSTED A VALID RESPONSE... inferring that I did not even read the thread was insulting. I am the one who was insulted.. no one can tell me that I was not insulted as I DECIDE THAT

Your PM is not a tip.. it is a THREAT.. don't threaten people
    Post edited by blackwolf on
  • floozyfloozy Member Posts: 3
    Good show tonight >:)

blackwolf is right though - on a default, clean win10 install, it creates a hidden 500mb recovery partition. This partition contains winre.wim which is the 'advanced startup and debug shit'. On some installs this winre.wim file is installed on c:\windows\system32\recovery\ folder.

The command "bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures" will stop windows from booting into the recovery mode. The trick is to normally restart the PC after running the command. In my testing I found that the command does not get applied unless you first restart the PC. Tested on a clean win10 enterprise install, with the latest updates. Your mileage may vary. Replacing {current} with {default} should also work.

Deleting the recovery partition will not work because windows will still point to the non existing partition which will throw another error.
    floozy said:

Good show tonight >:)

blackwolf is right though - on a default, clean win10 install, it creates a hidden 500mb recovery partition. This partition contains winre.wim which is the 'advanced startup and debug shit'. On some installs this winre.wim file is installed on c:\windows\system32\recovery\ folder.

Deleting the recovery partition will not work because windows will still point to the non existing partition which will throw another error.

I'm not positive about windows 10, but I used to delete it prior to installation in previous versions, and never had a problem booting... but then again I never get the recovery screen using windows 10 either....

what error does it produce? i see a lot of people just delete it in windows 10 after install