so how much do you pay claymore?

boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
so I worked out a way to trap it stop it and calculate it and I'm a bit surprised.

I've tested both solo and pool

in a pool u get approx. 97.9% claymore gets 2.1% of shares. (avg between blocks)

solo got me silly though.

over the last 20 blocks, 2 went to claymore......SAY WHAT!!

not reveling how but a little gobsmacked at this.

also found claymore wallets not sure I should release though, he does amazing work and happy to pay some but not 10% but them wallets mean he can afford a lot of coders

food for thought.

Boysie

Comments

• YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @boysie that's for Dual mining? it should be 1% for Solo ?

Essentially this is why I think Dual mining has to be thought about very carefully.
    The additional processing is not free, it costs in multiple different ways.. electric / heat / longevity of components / additional fees / maintaining an instance of the chain

Taking an extra 1% from your ETH mining as well whilst mining something worth a lot less also adds to the expense.
    The difference being 1% in ETH on vs 2%+2% in Dual.

I've decided it's not worth it for me, but each to their own I guess.

Anyway more to the point, from what you're saying is there is a HUGE discrepancy in fees between the pool and solo mining modes on Claymores miner! Statisticly even the dev fee would have to be ULTRA lucky to get 2 / 20 solo blocks.

It suggests you're saying theres is something different in the solo dev fee than the pool dev fee, can you clarify ?

Btw also think claymore does a lot for us so this isn't a complaint!! Merely trying to understand as best I can what happens and why.
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    With the amount of miners using Claymore... he must have a few million $$$ stashed away by now.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    luck is a funny old thing and no I'm not suggesting he is doing any thing different when in solo but dam he was lucky and got 10% over 20 blocks which when solo is not a short amt of time....

I've not seen any one else capture this so as I managed to do it I thought I would share, and I guess the point is it might be in time a small amt to mine but it doesn't mean it will be 2% esp when solo, luck like for all this stuff plays a massive part...it might be that over the next 1000 blocks he gets none and then maybe we at be looking more at the 2% just in my 20 block run 2 to claymore seems way over the top for what I was prepared to see.

Boysie
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I've captured this data for quite some time, and for eth-only mode it is consistently a bit below 1%. Now, if you figured out how to caputure it I hope you figured out you can trivially take that 1% back for yourself.
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    work said:

I've captured this data for quite some time, and for eth-only mode it is consistently a bit below 1%. Now, if you figured out how to caputure it I hope you figured out you can trivially take that 1% back for yourself.

Did you reverse engineer it to remove the 1% fee?
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Always looked to be around 1% or less... I don't worry about it. Whether he has made $10 or $10mil, I don't care. It made it really easy for me to get into mining.

EDIT: FYI, he doesn't care if you block/remove the code that sends him those shares. He's been open about that.
    SIRacer09 said:

Did you reverse engineer it to remove the 1% fee?

No need. Fire up a packet sniffer and check out the only difference between devfee and regular mining - it's pretty obvious.

@Jotun70 I dunno about that... claymore goes to a lot of effort to protect his code. No need to block or remove it tho, you can just redirect it so it works for you instead of claymore.

Dev fee with ~5GH/s:

• boucbouc Member Posts: 27
    hmmm netsed powa :)
    bouc said:

hmmm netsed powa :)

That'd work, yup =).
  • blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    edited October 2016
    work said:

SIRacer09 said:

No need. Fire up a packet sniffer and check out the only difference between devfee and regular mining - it's pretty obvious.
    No need to block or remove it tho, you can just redirect it so it works for you instead of claymore.

Dev fee with ~5GH/s:

ummm is there anyway you could post a walk-through for fools to do this?
    can you do this in windows or do you need to be on linux? do you need to do this from the mining rig itself or any computer on the local network? can do this with wireshark?
    @blackwolf hinting that it's possible is one thing, but I don't really want to post a how-to on bypassing claymore's fee. I respect claymore's work and do think he deserves to be paid for his efforts. That said, it's pretty trivial for a moderately skilled developer to have the devfee mine for the miner instead of claymore.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    boysie said:

luck is a funny old thing and no I'm not suggesting he is doing any thing different when in solo but dam he was lucky and got 10% over 20 blocks which when solo is not a short amt of time....

I've not seen any one else capture this so as I managed to do it I thought I would share, and I guess the point is it might be in time a small amt to mine but it doesn't mean it will be 2% esp when solo, luck like for all this stuff plays a massive part...it might be that over the next 1000 blocks he gets none and then maybe we at be looking more at the 2% just in my 20 block run 2 to claymore seems way over the top for what I was prepared to see.

Boysie

Yep and I guess perspective is also important here. From your perspective claymores been really lucky here getting 2/20 blocks right.. but from claymores perspective if there are 5000 rigs mining @ 1%/2% and got 2 blocks from you then someone other devfees didn't pay out so ended up with the expected number of solved blocks as a total. The point being from claymores perspective it all evens out over all of the mining rigs. The conclusion of which might be more like you were unlucky across the devfee pool rather than claymore being lucky :)

Similar to how if you run a large number of rigs your effective hash rate stays roughly the same but individual rigs can over or under-perform hourly.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    it got worse, by block 25 he had 3 I had 22.
    by block 31 I had 27 he had 4. amazing luck there. seriously !
  • namtr0namtr0 Member Posts: 12
    keep up the work, I pool mine so not worried, but I'm interested to see more, because that is some serious luck.
  • GelbinGelbin Member Posts: 17
    So which alternative miner we can use?
  • hambahamba Member Posts: 19
  • m00nspeellm00nspeell Member Posts: 11
    boysie said:

so I worked out a way to trap it stop it and calculate it and I'm a bit surprised.

in a pool u get approx. 97.9% claymore gets 2.1% of shares. (avg between blocks)

also found claymore wallets not sure I should release though, he does amazing work and happy to pay some but not 10% but them wallets mean he can afford a lot of coders

food for thought.

Boysie

Boysie you are right with Claymore, i thinks they are lying to us. I made a print screen 10 minute earlier. This is not the first time when i see a lot of share "only" for developers. I guess i will change my miner. Any recommendation?

• Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

boysie said:

food for thought.

Boysie

Boysie you are right with Claymore, i thinks they are lying to us. I made a print screen 10 minute earlier. This is not the first time when i see a lot of share "only" for developers. I guess i will change my miner. Any recommendation?

wait a min, I though solo he mines his on his own pool i.e when the dev fee kicks in he is mining with your hash power on is OWN pool.

Not sure it makes sense for him to solo mine his def fee at all. There is no way due to luck that you can calculate the amount of blocks lost when the dev fee mining kicks in.
  • kilidkilid Member Posts: 13
    I totally agree with you , I would rather pay for a software one time than keep paying hidden fees all the time-_-

I don't like to use claymore miner
  • boucbouc Member Posts: 27
    i do find sgminer-gm to be more stable than claymore's miner, but stratum connection limited. They are working on it.
  • restlessrestless Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2016
    Marvell9 said:

wait a min, I though solo he mines his on his own pool i.e when the dev fee kicks in he is mining with your hash power on is OWN pool.

Not sure it makes sense for him to solo mine his def fee at all. There is no way due to luck that you can calculate the amount of blocks lost when the dev fee mining kicks in.

Whats your issue?!
    That for 1 minute your rig found too may shares?!
    If Claymore is able to increase/decrease number of found shares per specific minute, he could also "spoof" sound shares, dont you think?
    Post edited by restless on
  • jshwaijshwai Member Posts: 4
    I've been switching back and forth between QTminer and Claymore - but finally decided to run all my rigs with claymore. Not sure if it's more efficient but give me less headaches.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    is sgminer just as fast as claymore?
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67

is sgminer just as fast as claymore?

It's slightly faster.
  • breathesumetherbreathesumether Member Posts: 20
    If you don't like the 1% fee then don't use the miner. If you mine say $200/month that's only $2 ! You can't buy a burger with that. I know that thousands are using his program, but he deserves it, who cares, a man's gotta pay rent somehow. Anyways, if Claymore's reading this, Thank you very much for such a great program!
  • mitice123mitice123 Member Posts: 41
    its awayyyy from the 2$ mate :D can anyone say btw how to change claymore adress with my own for the fee ? i remember there was a thread and a tool even but cant find it now
  • ETGoHomeETGoHome Member Posts: 36
    It is possible, here's proof, just need to be creative, I am able to change the address to my own address and add a worker name "Dev" to it. So when it mines the dev fee, it actually still goes to me, and it shows up on the pool, see photo:
  • mettalmagmettalmag Member Posts: 20
    ETGoHome said:

It is possible, here's proof, just need to be creative, I am able to change the address to my own address and add a worker name "Dev" to it. So when it mines the dev fee, it actually still goes to me, and it shows up on the pool, see photo:

can you please be more specific about it?
    What os is that?
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2017

If you don't like the 1% fee then don't use the miner. If you mine say $200/month that's only $2 ! You can't buy a burger with that. I know that thousands are using his program, but he deserves it, who cares, a man's gotta pay rent somehow. Anyways, if Claymore's reading this, Thank you very much for such a great program!

Correct if was 1%, but look like more than 1%, this is the problem!
    " 20 blocks, 2 went to claymore" this is 1% to you?
  • CryptoBCryptoB Member Posts: 6
    I have calculated not and it is more than 6700 usd per day. If you do not want to pay 2% devFee try NoFee software https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1792180.0