Difference between Sapphire RX 470 4GB Ref and Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ OC

brizio71brizio71 Member Posts: 17
Hello,

what are the difference betweeb this 2 sapphire RX470 4GB GPU in term of overclock/underclock and bios mod:

-- Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4GB Ref
-- Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro+ OC 4GB

Thanks

Comments

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    I have only rumors about the non-nitro ref card, but they say you should avoid it, because it draws too much power on the pci-e side. (i had avoided them when brought cards despite the much lower price)
    Maybe someone, how has a non-nitro card can clarify the correctness of this information.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Main difference - cooling system. Nitro cards have very good one, significantly better yhan ref's.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Not much difference regarding mining.
    Im speaking of experience.
    Heat management is much easier with refs and the achievable hashrate is the same.
  • brizio71brizio71 Member Posts: 17
    Zorg33 said:

Not much difference regarding mining.
    Im speaking of experience.
    Heat management is much easier with refs and the achievable hashrate is the same.

Why heat management is easier with refs if have a worst cooler vs NITRO ?
    1. all the dissipated heat goes out in one direction unlike with AIB coolers, so you can make your rig suck in fresh air from one side and push out hot air on the other.
    2. in eth only mode my 470 refs maintain only about 1800rpm to keep temps at 65C. No need for better cooling.
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I have two sapphire rx 470 rigs. One is all ref oc 4gb. The other is Nitro 4gb. Both rigs are mining at 164 mh/s each. Depending on the asic quality of your GPU's, power draw will differ. My sapphire rx 470 oc ref draws 847 from the wall. My nitro draws 780 from the wall. With Fan speeds you can adjust to temps since winter is coming. I like both. Ref as @Zorg33 said can suck in cold air at one end and push out hot air at the other end. (useful as a space heater) Other than the nitro looks much cooler. There isn't that much of a difference.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Calivet said:

I have two sapphire rx 470 rigs. One is all ref oc 4gb. The other is Nitro 4gb. Both rigs are mining at 164 mh/s each. Depending on the asic quality of your GPU's, power draw will differ. My sapphire rx 470 oc ref draws 847 from the wall. My nitro draws 780 from the wall. With Fan speeds you can adjust to temps since winter is coming. I like both. Ref as @Zorg33 said can suck in cold air at one end and push out hot air at the other end. (useful as a space heater) Other than the nitro looks much cooler. There isn't that much of a difference.

I'm actually surprised that theres a 50w+ difference between the two. What voltages are they set at?
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Zorg33 said:

1. all the dissipated heat goes out in one direction unlike with AIB coolers, so you can make your rig suck in fresh air from one side and push out hot air on the other.
    2. in eth only mode my 470 refs maintain only about 1800rpm to keep temps at 65C. No need for better cooling.

i think #2 is funny whenever i think about it
    i just spent the summer trying to cool nanos 290x and 390s and these cards effortlessly do the same hashing at less than half the watts UNDER 70C lol

70C was my goal all summer which i rarely hit
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @Truthchanter they are both set to the same voltage. VID is at or less than 1 volt. VDDC has a -100 mv offset. Both basically from the same bios mod.
    Might be also difference between the psus efficiency.
    I use mainly server psus and i see also 50W differences between even the same type psus.
    Also the efficiency can degrade over time.
    Zorg33 said:

ETH algo is not power-hungry. But it is not forever, and we can see something like Scrypt algo again.

Bad cooling - bad mining. High temps - short life.

Too much worry - short life :)

Yepp, but i'll be selling my cards if we run out of low power mining algos.
    Zorg33 said:

Too much worry - short life :)

Yepp, but i'll be selling my cards if we run out of low power mining algos.

Worrying happens when you think after, not before.

• LickMyNvidiaLickMyNvidia Member Posts: 36
    I have 2 machines, One is running all RX 480 the other is running all RX 480 that come factory overclocked. The only difference I have see is that the cards with the factory Overclock cost a few dollars more and seam to be mining 1.5Mhz slower than the ones with out the factory overclock.