A World of Competing Networks - IBM, Samsung, ETH

chloregychloregy Member Posts: 11
edited September 2014 in Mining
I noticed that there was a post on twitter where an IBM exec pointed out that Ethereum "have been great partners" and that "[IBM and Samsung] are forking Ethereum as part of [Adept]", so it occurred to me that IBM and Samsumg rather than relying on the ETH based Ethereum network may build there own, and that miners may potentially have 2 networks to choose from.

So this made me concerned about attack vectors between two networks competing for business, as well as how easy it would be to keep people out of private Ethereum network?

The Ether Product Purchase Agreement states the following:

"the Ethereum Platform software developed may give rise to other, alternative,
Ethereum-based or Ethereum-like networks, promoted by unaffiliated third parties, under which Purchaser’s
ETH will have no intrinsic value"

How do the network(s) that recognize ETH have security over Ethereum networks which do not recognize ETH as the "cryptofuel"?

If Ethereum as an organization have been great partners to IBM, why are the company's representatives choosing to state that they shall fork the Ethereum code before it is even ready and proven to operate rather than being part of a public network?

Are there things missing, needs unfulfilled that would also concern other organizations to create their own forks?

IBM and Samsung provide many solutions for the governments of the world and it would seem that the public network (the ETH network) would lose out to them and other large systems integrators as they have the scale over power non-government finances networks.

Would really love to understand the security concerns of competing networks backed by gov't money, as well as the strategy and thought that resulted in this kind of scenario playing out this way were major partners don't feel comfortable supporting the company's initiative.

Please feel free to correct me in any misunderstanding.

Comments

• chloregychloregy Member Posts: 11
    no comments yet?
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    The only security concern is that the PoW difficulty could be lower if the eth value is lower, because these other systems are also used. Depends on the mining algo used.

Otherwise, really i dont know what IBM is doing. I have difficulty believing that they'd go for decentralized approaches. The Ethereum network might suit them, but they have their own goals that are probably incompatible to Ethereum.(some of those could be bad to users) You could use the blockchain thing so other people can easily access and audit the system, and have certified block creators. That said, you then have to trust those people. If all the certified block creators ignore transactions, or make invalid blocks, and push a corresponding hard fork onto users, the only option you have is to go against the system, creating a hard fork that changes who gets to make blocks. I doubt that would succeed. (Burn-over is a really uncertain option aswel)
  • vaXvaX Austin, TXMember Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    "The Web" is being flooded with hundreds (and over the next year, 1000's) ov new gTLD's. IBM, along with other centralized companies deeply embed into The Old World Operating System (TOWOS), are moving towards owning and operating their own brand gTLD's.

Recently, ICANN rejected Amazon, Inc.'s attempt to control the .amazon gTLD.

IBM forked ☰thereum because they realize the battle is not on the right, or the left side ov the dot. IT's all about the "://"

The Network Protocol Wars aren't even here yet, but troops are being ▲ligned. Companies that are blowing millions (in USD) on ICANN's gTLD application fees are missing Thee cl☰ΔrHer viZ☰N. IBM s33s IT, but as Jasper mentions:

"I don't know what IBM is doing. I have difficulty believing that they'd go for decentralized approaches."

By 2020, TOWOS companies and organizations will have had no other choice but to DECENTralize themcellves internally, and join The NEOS (New Earth Operating System). By then though, their '฿est & ฿rightest' Ðevelopers will have already moved on and into the ☾ryptoϟphere; APPlying their TAGS (Talents Abilities Gifts & Skills) towards Renaissansical Vndertakings, such as ☰thereum.

Th33 Meaningfool VVeb.. The Ðecentralized Web.. whatEVEr VV☰ choose inÐiviÐually and collecktively to call this thing, can not be stopped. Our natural ☰volution ov conscious KINecktivity (as a living ϟpecies) is driving Vϟ to-wards abϟoulute Δuthenticity, Δutonomy, and ▲nonymity.

Things that hierarchically $inTrollLIES'd, technofascist monopoLIES simply can not fit into...

• chloregychloregy Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2014
    cool write ups, thanksJasper and vaX!!
  • JoshuaJBerkJoshuaJBerk Brooklyn, NYMember Posts: 12
  • px1000px1000 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Stephan!!

Now that gives me a clearer picture. I've worked with IBM in the past on smart grid / smart metering projects and I know exactly what you mean about them needing to keep the environment stable for POC.

I definitely see technologies like Ethereum, Bitcoin, Maidsafe, their clones, and whatever else comes along as the future peer2public infrastructure that will scale to meet local needs without the overhead of centralized planning and decision making. And that means that big SI's like IBM, Samsung SDS, Siemens, HP, Logica, Fujitsu and the many other will be interested in leveraging this technology.

If the project has now already done so I would highly recommend that a few people spend some time reaching out to similar R&D and corporate VC units in those to introduce Ethereum.
  • vaXvaX Austin, TXMember Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Ξthereum://introducesit$ellf_lulz..
  • r0ker0r0ker0 Member Posts: 1
    intriguing post. very useful. thanks for sharing