Cant mine using Ethereum (++) 0.6.8d and alethzero on global testnet

Hi,

I am using Ethereum (++) 0.6.8d on an Ubuntu 14.04.01 VM. I am trying unsuccessfully to mine on the global testnet.

I run alethzero, click "Connect To Peer" and connect to the default global testnet (poc-6.ethdev.com:30303). At this point all sorts of good stuff starts happening:
  • The accounts section is filled out with things like NameReg and GavCoin
  • Peers is filled out with 5 peers, some low "ping times" even
  • A whole load of Contracts appear
  • The block chain seems to be downloaded, seems there has been one block (1264) added in the last day though??
So this is all terribly exciting, and looks good, though the messages i am getting indicate a few problems such as:

QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2055, resource id: 0, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0 QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2360, resource id: 0, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0 *N* [ 09:03:03 AM | p2p | 43 ] GIVE UP FETCH QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 4440, resource id: 0, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0 QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 4644, resource id: 0, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0

Now I am trying to get some gas so i can run my first test contract, so I click the "Mine" button. And nothing seems to happen, looking again at the log messages i see the somewhat encouraging messages:

*** [ 09:07:19 AM | miner-0 ] Committing to mine on block c2ddf491… *** [ 09:07:19 AM | miner-0 ] Post-reward stateRoot: 6f1c7067… *** [ 09:07:19 AM | miner-1 ] Committing to mine on block c2ddf491… *** [ 09:07:19 AM | miner-1 ] Post-reward stateRoot: 6f1c7067…

But nothing else, so I leave it for 30 minutes and still nothing, my balance remains at "0 wei", the mining graph has nothing on it.

I have attached a screenshot of alethzero.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited September 2014
    Pressing the 'mine' button will only mine when your client sees a transaction pending. To mine constantly use 'force mining' from the debug menu.

EDIT: please only use 'force mining' for a short while, just enough to get ether for your contracts. Alternatively (and preferably), use the wei faucet at zerogox.com/ethereum/wei_faucet
    Post edited by StephanTual on
  • andygough1974andygough1974 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014
    I'm mining, thanks very much. Is it normal for my mining proceeds in owned accounts to go up and then down?

I just realized you had answered my question in the first dapp post, I hadn't got that far as i was following the links before it to get mining/testnet working, sorry about that.
  • andygough1974andygough1974 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014

I got off on a tangent because my client didn't look like your image.

Maybe its an idea to replace that pic with what a brand new user would actually see at that point in the process.

I reset alethzero and deleted the blockchain and got this clean image if you want it.

• klaoklao Member Posts: 3
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but where is this "debug" menu and "force mining" option? :)
    I figured out how to force mining with the command line client, but can't find it in alethzero.
    @klao‌ : it's part of the 'debug' menu, in the menu bar. I've edited my post above, but please only use 'force mining' for a short while, just enough to get ether for your contracts. Alternatively (and preferably), use the wei faucet at zerogox.com/ethereum/wei_faucet
  • klaoklao Member Posts: 3
    @Stephan_Tual‌ : Thanks! The problem is - I don't have a menu bar. :) None of the menus that I see from the code should be there (file, network, tools, help, debug). All of them are missing. I'll try to debug this when I have some time.

And yes, I understand that this is a debug network. I won't leave the mining on, promise! It's just frustrating that I can't play with it now. :p
    edited September 2014
    @klao‌, if you can't see the menu bar, it's likely you accidentally disabled it (one of the fun quirks of AZ is that all panels can be removed). To put it back in place, right click where it should be, then if the menu opens, select 'toolbar'. Now, I'm not going to lie, this isn't easy, so I took a screenshot with my bar disabled, and drew an arrow as to where to click:

Now, if that gets too frustrating, you could also completely delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.ethereum.alethzero.plist (if you're on OSX) and it will reset the layout to default.