The difficulty growth in the last 5 days was just nuts....

Comments

• EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    I'm just getting in after taking profit on some alts. No power bill currently and high efficiency cards. What's not to love! Looking forward to mining ETH, I love building rigs.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    I have built 2 rigs in the last 2 weeks. 4 x rx480's and 4 x 1070s. Must day I love the temp of the 1070s but the price isnt nice for the same hash as rx480
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    yes they are, i have been monitoring that also! maybe that's what the ethereum foundation wants, if we all leave mining for eth, that will send the foundation a clear message.
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    @oakey22
    1070 crushed 480 lol how are they same speed.on ether 1070 can push up to 36-37 mh/s with proper overclock without bios mode.on other algorithms wich are not memory intensive 1070 provides 2x more speed
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    cviper said:

@oakey22
    1070 crushed 480 lol how are they same speed.on ether 1070 can push up to 36-37 mh/s with proper overclock without bios mode.on other algorithms wich are not memory intensive 1070 provides 2x more speed

I can not get it anywhere near 36. Over clocking 700 on the memory too
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    oakey22 said:

cviper said:

@oakey22

a user on the forums were saying that it can be done when playing with the power settings combined with overclocking. the 1070s mainly shine in their power savings over the 480 from what I last read. a 1070 can do 29~30Mhs @ 80-90w per card. the bios modded reference 480s don't come close to that, unless Boysie has worked some magic on them....
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    oakey22 said:

cviper said:

@oakey22

yeah thats bs i have three brands of 1070 for testing at best i get 29 eth and 700 sia
  • bluelogicbluelogic Member Posts: 86
    XMR, kind of saved ETH miners from the difficulty pump. Most people mine and dump and do not mine and hold.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    So its been about a month since I made this thread. The difficulty then was 79T when combined ETH+ETC. Now its 83+7= 90T.

So it grew 14% in the last month.

I think it would of grew higher if it wasn't for XMR being still profitable.

It looks like basically 25,000 of the new rx 470/480 were brought online. In reality its probably more like 50,000 since many shut off their old 280x and replaced them with the 480s.

• techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    As long as the price goes up, I dont care :) If it doesn't then I get out at 120T diff.
    adaseb said:

So its been about a month since I made this thread. The difficulty then was 79T when combined ETH+ETC. Now its 83+7= 90T.

So it grew 14% in the last month.

I think it would of grew higher if it wasn't for XMR being still profitable.

It looks like basically 25,000 of the new rx 470/480 were brought online. In reality its probably more like 50,000 since many shut off their old 280x and replaced them with the 480s.

Yeah I replaced all my R9 stock for 10 of my 11 rigs with RX cards , I'm now able to comfortably dual mine 3GHZ on only three 4 240v 30 amp circuits vs having to use 5 circuits for 2700 mhs with the R9 cards (390s, 290s 280x ).

Before six rigs would use around 28 amps on each circuit which is really over doing it, now with RX cards I can do 24 amps for the same or higher hash rate, less heat etc.

I think its still profitable, the only issue with the RX cards is they all have to be bios modded and they are way more unstable than the R9 cards which can run for days/weeks with no attendance.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Marvell9 said:

I think its still profitable, the only issue with the RX cards is they all have to be bios modded and they are way more unstable than the R9 cards which can run for days/weeks with no attendance.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I have all reference RX480s that have been left for weeks without being touched. Just simple adjustments in Wattman to get them running at 27mh/s using as little power as possible. I almost forget they are there if it weren't for the heat and the gentle hum of fans running haha.

I've been too busy lately to read the latest and greatest on current mods, but I should probably get on that, especially if it nets me a couple more hashes with no increase in power usage.
    Jotun70 said:

Marvell9 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. I have all reference RX480s that have been left for weeks without being touched. Just simple adjustments in Wattman to get them running at 27mh/s using as little power as possible. I almost forget they are there if it weren't for the heat and the gentle hum of fans running haha.

I've been too busy lately to read the latest and greatest on current mods, but I should probably get on that, especially if it nets me a couple more hashes with no increase in power usage.
    I found wattman to be problematic so I went the full bios mod route, I get 29.4 mhs from my 480s so it might be the added hash rate that causes the instability. I have a small farm though so I can live with it though.
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @Marvell9

I run my 480s ref on 29,3 (boysie rom and dual) and they run 200+ hours.

They only dont run when i fuck around with the rig^^
  • remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76

They only dont run when i fuck around with the rig^^

THIS, same here, the only problem that causes downtime usually lies between chair and keyboard :wink:
  • shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
    Winter electricity rates start on OCT 1.... So excite.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭

i am more excited about cool weather conditions coming to our country @Dr_House86 :) RIG's will be automatically consuming less electricity and run quiter
    edited October 2016
    The DDOS bugs are fixed and difficulty is SURGING even higher. Combined ETC+ETH difficulty right now is 95T.

The low Monero price is also fueling this huge spike.

Most likely sometime next week we will break the 100T barrier.

So since Aug 26th, 20% difficulty growth.

On Aug 26th your RX470 made $2.40 USD
    Now it makes $2.05 USD

ROI period went from 83 days to 98 days.

• dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    un4given said:

i am more excited about cool weather conditions coming to our country @Dr_House86 :) RIG's will be automatically consuming less electricity and run quiter
    I hear ya with the better rates, for me it's .05 / kWh until June 2017. Between the rates, the savings of swapping r9 series cards for 470/480 and cooler weather I feel a little bit better about the difficulty rising.

We just surpassed 100T
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    @adaseb we're not, from where do you get this info?
    at the time of writing:
    eth.getBlock(eth.blockNumber).difficulty / 1000000000000
  • MadpacketMadpacket Member Posts: 25
    Still profitable but shrinking fast :(
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    itll keep shrinking faster too, so many new miners hopping on
    farms expanding home miners expanding
    genesis mining alone prolly increases their hash by at least 500Mhz a week if not more
    many ppl hopping on thinking theyre gonna make more than they actually will
    cuz they calculate by the month what they make today
    whatever ur monthly calculated income is, based on what u made today, drop that by 5-15% based on mainly diff increase
    only way to continue on is to add cards every week or plan on selling rigs in january
    im leaning to door number 2 but who knows what will happen with price
  • namtr0namtr0 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2016
    I fall into that category of the new miner, just built a 6x rx480 rig last month I only had to buy the cards and a PSU, I had a co worker who had a aniversary board with risers that he is letting me use. I'm in it one part for fun and learning the bonus is any profit. power is cheap where I live and even with temps dropping to 50 degrees Fahrenheit I figure the rig will lower my heating bill :) Breaking even I'd be super happy, but setting up a rig and getting it to work has been a blast, not to mention learning about this whole new realm of cryptocurrencies.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I'm probably going to be out of mining within the next couple weeks. I understand the price can shoot up any day and I could be kicking myself... but I've already ROI'd and made money on trading alone. This last 4-5 months has all been in the name of learning, fun, and experimentation (like college, but not THAT fun lol...) and I've achieved everything I've wanted.

I've already got feeler offers out there for my 480s to my friends and there is a lot of interest for them, but maybe I'll sell them all together here. We shall see! Either way I'll be dumping them for cheap... :)
  • BubbaPumpsBubbaPumps Member Posts: 31
    SWDude26 said:

Ugh just got into mining last week. breaking my balls people. lol

Good thing I'm moving the rig to work for free electricity!

You mean to steal electricity. Heres to you going to jail.
    The combined diff of ETH+ETC. If ETC crashes they will all switch over to ETH.

SWDude26 said:

Ugh just got into mining last week. breaking my balls people. lol

Good thing I'm moving the rig to work for free electricity!

You mean to steal electricity. Heres to you going to jail.
    lol so mean