Stability of Windows 10 vs EthOS

kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
What are peoples experiences of the stability of Windows 10 vs EthOS as a platform for hosting Ethereum miners?

Are you seeing better stability with Windows 10 or EthOS?
Are you seeing higher performance with Windows 10 or EthOS?
Any tips / gotchas on ensuring mining rigs are stable on one or the other?

Comments

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    I can only talk about win10 and my rx480s ref with custom rom.
    Claymore dual eth/sia
    20 cards on 4 rigs running 24/7 for 200+ hours.
    Every week or two i shut them down and restart, or update things.
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Stable on both, just preference (I prefer win10). ethos interface and amount of control is limited unless you are an ubuntu guy.
  • cornlingercornlinger Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2016
    When you get some custom BIOS and use the newer RX cards with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Linux is quite more stable than Windows 10. You'll never get any problems triggered by Windows and their update shit and you can better interpret the failures and mistakes than in Windows 10 where you will only get a error message without any useful content. Also it is a lot easier to set up a miner with Ubuntu. I've prepared a own image for my miners, soon I will publish it here.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    It all depends what you want and whjat you are comfortable with.

I use Win 10 for my desktop/gaming/HTPC stuff and EthOS for mining. If you know a bit of Linux then EthOS is great if you want a rig that is very stable & very reliable. You do have plenty of control over most things that people do when tweaking their GPUs, except for possibly voltage control. If you like tweaking then maybe Windows 10 gives you more options. I prefer stability and "set and forget".

As for performance I think that it depends on your GPUs more than anything else, not the OS. EthOS will allow you to get more out of very cheap or old rig computer hardware (meaning everything apart from GPUs) because Linux will happily run on a slow old processor and 4GB ram. In my expereince Windows is terrible if you don't give it heaps of ram. I have a friend using a combination of Win 10 and Win 8.1 rigs and the Claymore miner and he seems to get similar performance from the same GPUs that we have in common.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Windows 10 here.

Disabled Updates so you don't get bothered by them. Easy stuff.

Priority driver support over any other OS is a plus. Less typing commands needed to get stuff done.

It's plug and forgot just as any unix system would be.