$1400 Budget Best Hardware For Rig

CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
Have around a $1400 budget and want to invest in an Ethereum mining rig, however not sure on what cards to buy. I have been looking at the Radeon Rx 480s but seeing that they're so overpriced not sure where to go from here. Please post the hash rate for the card that you would suggest, why you would recommend so card, and the pros and cons. Thanks!

Comments

• wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    omg please go do your own research! there are SO many posts on this fourm of the exact same thing. "I have XXX amount of money please be kind and tell be exactly what to do because im too lazy to do my own research". At least you didnt ask if it was worth it. You might want to go look into the mining situation for Ethereum, because profitability has dropped a lot.
  • DeoManusDeoManus Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at building a 5th rig, and tbh, I'm thinking of going back to 6x r9 380s - they can be had for ~$150/each and the rig would hash around 120mh. I currently have 1 4x 380x rig (my first - ~80mhs), 1 6x r9 380 (~120mhs), 1 6x r7 370 (complete waste - wish I would have just went with more 380s - ~80mhs), and one 6x rx 480 rig (not really impressed - ~140mhs) All are 4GB, except the rx 480 rig which are all 8GB.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Save money. Get the RX 470s vs the 480s. Mod them to get what, 28 Mh/s these days?

Try to get the cheapest mobo and CPU you can get. I'm talking <$100 for both if possible. 4 GB RAM is all you need. cheap SSD drive.

You have a limited window for ROI until POS. So keeping costs down will benefit you.

Read through these forums and bitcointalk.org to see how others are doing it.

• CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
    SWDude26 said:

Save money. Get the RX 470s vs the 480s. Mod them to get what, 28 Mh/s these days?

Try to get the cheapest mobo and CPU you can get. I'm talking

Thank you very much, I wasn't too worried about the POS as I assumed I could swap to any other currency to mine back the remainder of my losses? I have a somewhat cheap electricity at $0.13 per kWh. Also EthOS would be the most efficient operating system to run it on correct?
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    CameronS said:

Thank you very much, I wasn't too worried about the POS as I assumed I could swap to any other currency to mine back the remainder of my losses? I have a somewhat cheap electricity at $0.13 per kWh. Also EthOS would be the most efficient operating system to run it on correct?

I just picked up 2x Nitro+ 470 8GB via amazon and got them 30 Mh/s easy peasy.

EthOS would probably be the best but in terms of maintaining your rig, though I can't say personally. Never used it. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro Ann. Update.

Idk where you live, but it's going to add heat to whatever room you put in them. Account for HVAC costs if you like your place cool, or put the rig in a sealed off room, garage, or w/e that's safe from moisture/weather.

With added electricity costs, it will be hard to break even if POS comes earlier than later. You'll want to undervolt your 470s to save on power and heat.

Once you gather some ether, I'd hold at minimum 50% (if you're not looking to sell immediately to recoup costs) and invest in some promising ICOs that you could probably catch on the ride and get a good pump before selling them off.

Ether, most likely, is going to blow up here in 2017.

Once POS hits, just research, or ask on here, what's everyone's next crypto to mine with?

Play the long game. Too many people here scare off new people talking about the short game... and I sense they either do it on purpose or don't have a clue what the long game means. lol

Also, take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm no investment expert. Still learning.