Mining Calculation

minernewbieminernewbie Member Posts: 8
Hello,

Can someone please check my numbers to make sure I'm estimating correctly?

10 rigs
6 GPUs per rig
30 MHs per GPU (R9 390)
275w per GPU
0.16 per kWh (CA, I gotta move)
mining 24/7

Mining total
10 x 6 x 30 = 1800 MHs/hr

Power Consumption
10 x 6 x 275 = 16,500 watts / hr

I entered these numbers in the calculator below.

http://www.karldiab.com/EthereumMiningCalculator/

Based on today's market price (Sept 29, 2016), the monthly net is $1,643.62?

What I wasn't too sure about was the Power field. They're asking for hourly number and not monthly right?

Comments

• vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
    Looks like your numbers are right. $1900 per month in power costs though... Yikes! Is that for a new set of rigs you're building?
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    Your numbers look ok. You should net approximately $1700 at those rates.

If this is a new farm you're considering, you should look into the RX cards. The 470 can hash 28MHs (with custom BIOS) but consume half the power (by way of undervolting) of the 390. You'll be more profitable that way. Food for thought.
  • minernewbieminernewbie Member Posts: 8
    @vgm yes

@Rider Thanks for the yummy thought. From what you said, I would much rather get the RX 470 than the R9 390. Any brand of the RX 470? However, I am very unfamiliar with custom Bios. Is it difficult to do? Are there tutorials here that can show me step by step on how to do it? Last, you only do the custom Bios on the video card not the mother board right?
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    @minernewbie No problem. My advice, do a little (much) more research :smile:

Many people have had success with the RX 470 4G and 8G cards. A good bang for the buck card is the Sapphire RX 470 4GB (non Nitro model) with a single fan (resembling a 480 reference card). This is the cheapest Sapphire 470 card, and people have been able to get 28MH out of it, while keeping the power and heat low. Note that the fan can be noisier than the double fan design of the Nitro cards at higher RPMs. For BIOS editing, there are a number of threads throughout this forum, but essentially you'll need the PolarisBiosEditor and the latest AtiFlash. Lee from IMineBlocks has a good tutorial video on this topic. Simply put, save the BIOS from the card, edit it using the BIOS editor and save it, then flash it back onto the card. Some people play with voltage offsets, power limits, core and memory clock limits etc, but essentially you can simply copy the value from the memory 1500 straps to the higher clock straps, which would tighten the memory timings, making the memory work faster at the higher clock, which is what Ethereum mining is all about, i.e. fast memory means fast hashing.

Alternatively, some people prefer the Sapphire Nitro RX 470 cards, either in 4GB or 8GB configurations. They offer better cooling with two fans, and dual BIOS, which some people value as a safety net if you have a problem while flashing the BIOS. In such a case, you could simply power off your system, toggle the BIOS switch to the other BIOS and restart your system. Again, you should read up on this.

Some people have had luck with the PowerColor Red Devil RX 470 4BG cards, or the XFX/MSI cards. See what cards you can find cheap around you, and do more research on it to see what others have been able to achieve with it.

Good luck.
  • minernewbieminernewbie Member Posts: 8
    @Rider You've given me a good start. I really appreciate it! Thanks very much!