PowerColor Red Devil Radeon™ RX 480 8GB

boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
I've ordered some of these.
Should be here tomorrow.
watch this space.

Comments

• duurrrrduurrrr Member Posts: 27
    O_O I am watching closely, because I am thinking of getting some too. Either these or the Nitro+. Please share a good ROM. Thanks!
  • vitapure02vitapure02 Member Posts: 37
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    watching also, i made a rom, but i guess boysie can do better..
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I'm in desperate need of a rom that actually works for this card. I'm excited to see that boysie is doing a rom on this model. His 470 Nitro 4GB rom is brilliant!

I have 6 480 Devils sitting here, and they're driving me nuts. Super unstable once you start undervolting and overclocking them. I hope you can create something magical @boysie! I'm almost at the point of selling these damn cards!!
  • HansHans Member Posts: 34
    @hasher you can try @sennevb rom, the v2 rom.

I am running 4 red devil GPU @29.3mh each.
    Stable running non stop 72 hours now.

Link https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9752/powercolour-red-devils-480-rom-v2
    @hans i've tried both of his roms already.. very very unstable on some of my cards, causing BSOD.
    tried on multiple cards, never had issues.. did you reset wattman settings??
  • MarlynNevesMarlynNeves Member Posts: 55
    edited September 2016
    Hello mans!

I have one Red Devil ... i get 30.7 mhs but the power comsumption is 103w ...
    How i can decrease this value?
    See the configuration on wattToll...

Please tell me what i can modify on the WattToll to decrease the power comsumption

*This was tested for 12 hours to see the average consumption.*
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @MarlynNeves

You know that the power draw on gpu-z isnt the real consumption?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at this card, what is appealing about it to other 480s/even 470s? something like 8pin?
  • trump104trump104 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    @Truthchanter its 8pin, great cooling and cheap at least thats why i bought it.
    @boysie i wonder how things are going with the rom..
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    sennevb said:

@boysie i wonder how things are going with the rom..

unfortunately I selected the wrong delivery type and my 3 wont turn up until Monday /facepalm
    edited September 2016
    @sennevb

so they have arrived and all plugged an running but the first issue is they are locked settings wise, I vagley remember there being talk of an unlocked bios to download, can you point me in the right direction please?
    odd the flash failed, seems to have left the card is an odd state. trying to work out what next.
    force flashed it so got it back, but strangely it says its still locked, after flashing it with the unlocked bios from techpower up is there any thing else that needs doing?

I haven't change the bios switch, no idea what position it need to be in.

• dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    @boysie The first thing I did before flashing was switch the bios (default is closest to the monitor connections, so flip the switch towards the power connector).
    so I either had previously knocked it or its just random which one its on by default, but it was aleady toward the power connector.

i'll check in the other position.
    ok so bit confused here, why even with the so called unlocked bios is it still locked.

I've even tried you BIOS @sennevb and it still locked, and by locked I mean you can not change a single setting it either wattool or watt man.

I'm either missing the point here or some thing else is wrong.
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Maybe drivers? I downloaded the unlocked bios from power color, then copied what you did in one of your roms (https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/57415#Comment_57415 posted here if you want to try it). I used watt tool to bring the memory down to 2245, and get a solid 31 mh/s eth and 343 sia.
    i didnt moved any switch, just flashed the rom.. dont even know where the switch is lol

Weird why yours are locked.. maybe driver issue??
    ok so found my problem

there was some thing weird going on with the pci-e slot it was plugged into ...moved to another slot and its all completely find now. really odd few hours there scratching my head with all sorts of weird stuff going on.

so back on track:

so stock its the normal 24MH

with my v2 rom settings basically put into the red devil rom and then flash its an easy 31.3MH right there. using the 1750 strap.

these cards are fab they behave exactly the same as the ref cards so in that respect they are perfect.

I checked for mem error and they kick in a lot of after 2220 so pooped it back down to that and settled on a solid 31MH, agai this is exactly the same as the ref cards

I've noticed the VDDC is a bit higher than my ref cad with same settings, need to look into why and if it means something like I can lower some thing down but not sue yet.

I'll run some long test and make sure it holds well and if all goes well i'll ping up this rom but feel free to make it you self with all the excat same settings (note check straps are the same but I expect so) but stick with straps from the devil rom and put the 1750 in the 2000 and all my other settings and you should be on to a winner, if you want to wait I will upload it once I'm happy in a few days with any tweaks I may play with or find.

Boysie

• stupizstupiz Member Posts: 8
    boysie said:

ok so found my problem

there was some thing weird going on with the pci-e slot it was plugged into ...moved to another slot and its all completely find now. really odd few hours there scratching my head with all sorts of weird stuff going on.

so back on track:

so stock its the normal 24MH

with my v2 rom settings basically put into the red devil rom and then flash its an easy 31.3MH right there. using the 1750 strap.

these cards are fab they behave exactly the same as the ref cards so in that respect they are perfect.

I checked for mem error and they kick in a lot of after 2220 so pooped it back down to that and settled on a solid 31MH, agai this is exactly the same as the ref cards

I've noticed the VDDC is a bit higher than my ref cad with same settings, need to look into why and if it means something like I can lower some thing down but not sue yet.

I'll run some long test and make sure it holds well and if all goes well i'll ping up this rom but feel free to make it you self with all the excat same settings (note check straps are the same but I expect so) but stick with straps from the devil rom and put the 1750 in the 2000 and all my other settings and you should be on to a winner, if you want to wait I will upload it once I'm happy in a few days with any tweaks I may play with or find.

Boysie

Hope to see your released rom, because some of my card can raise memory up only 2120 Mhz more than this it can do memory load only 30% in gpu-z but other do 2150 Mhz (rom V2 from @sennevb) with stable.

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @boysie
    How much is the power draw ~

Thanks ;)
    Eagerly awaiting your ROM boysie :)
    edited September 2016
    I did a quick power check on the rig I put 2 in , I replaced 2 390s with these 2

the rig was doing 1050w at the wall with 3x390s undervolted and overclocked
    it now has 1 390 and 2x 480s devils and pulling 750w while hashing at the same amt 31MH each card.
    the psu is a gold EVGA 1000 on 230v

so assuming the 390s were pulling 333w each that makes the 2 480s pulling 208w each. so still need to look at why the VDDC is higher than my ref 480s and what can be brought down.
  • mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
    Hey boysie, I use the XFX 480 8gb ref, and I'm able to lower the VDCC via WattTool by saving a value of -1, -2, or however much you want. The VDDC change is reflected on GPU-Z.

This doesn't work on XFX 470 4gb ref though. It jumps straight back to N/A.
    @mjaay
    so with both mem(controller) and core at 950 I expect to see VDDC at 0.9500 but its not its at 0.98 some thing so need to work out how and where to bring that down. I know I can apply an offset to the v on the card and that might be how I bring it down but not sure that's my only options as on previouse times using offset I get rubbish stability so I will have a fiddle and if I don't get time I will easel the rom as v1 with v2 being power savings or just a guide how to get better power using v1 ...will update when I know a little more abut these cards but very happy with them

TEMP
    basically put very good.
    I have a ref card side by side using the same settings and the ref card is running the fan at 80% to keep to 75c and the devil is running at 32% keeping at 75c
    so really pleased with this, mind you the cooler is huge and 3 fans but very quiet

Boysie.
    edited September 2016