agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
edited May 2017 in Mining
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for info!
  • RedHouseRedHouse Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2016
    This may have started about 8 AM Eastern time. I have noticed a drop in share production since then on Nanopool.

Nanopool tweeted a DoS attack about noon.

Who would do this and why?
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    the angry hacker who lost all respect for ETH? i only guessing.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited September 2016
    Calivet said:

the angry hacker who lost all respect for ETH? i only guessing.

Script kiddies..

For the ones out there with problems, you have to extremely raise eth Gas price in order to make the chain work properly again.

Greetings.
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @Heliox you're no fun. We were speculating here. lol B)
  • LickMyNvidiaLickMyNvidia Member Posts: 36
    RedHouse said:

Who would do this and why?

Script Kiddies sitting in their parents basement, trying to occupy their time in-between circle jerks. I bet they are laughing so hard about causing an interruption they pissed them selves. I KNOW YOU PISSED YOUR SELVES!

On the bright side fixing issues like this today will probably be better than trying to deal with them tomorrow.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's just "script kiddies". I think there is a small group who believes in what Vitalik Buterin calls "bitcoin dominance maximalism" - which means they think BTC should be the only crypto coin and they want to destroy the "competition". Basically the more ETH succeeds the madder they get and they are looking for ways to disrupt and destroy it.

I know this sounds paranoid and like a conspiracy theory but honestly - if you read the way they talk about Ethereum on BTC related forums and websites - many people hate Ethereum. They are basically jealous and see it as an upstart. I've read some very biased reporting on these websites where all they report about Ethereum is negative things. I honestly think there are people who are deliberately trying to smash Ethereum down.

There is also the motivation that people can make huge money from doing stuff like this by manipulating the price. If you know that you can slow mining or make people very worried, you can effect the price and bet on the price dropping on an exchange.
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    newmz said:

I don't think it's just "script kiddies". I think there is a small group who believes in what Vitalik Buterin calls "bitcoin dominance maximalism" - which means they think BTC should be the only crypto coin and they want to destroy the "competition". Basically the more ETH succeeds the madder they get and they are looking for ways to disrupt and destroy it.

I know this sounds paranoid and like a conspiracy theory but honestly - if you read the way they talk about Ethereum on BTC related forums and websites - many people hate Ethereum. They are basically jealous and see it as an upstart. I've read some very biased reporting on these websites where all they report about Ethereum is negative things. I honestly think there are people who are deliberately trying to smash Ethereum down.

There is also the motivation that people can make huge money from doing stuff like this by manipulating the price. If you know that you can slow mining or make people very worried, you can effect the price and bet on the price dropping on an exchange.

I do agree with this point, this is a big concerted attack on ETH, almost sure by the ETC haters. And sure there are the sharks swimming around feeding on the tide changes.

Something is clear, we need to decentralize, everyone doing pools just doesn't help the cause. I think i will start my own pool and cap it with a max number of miners, then franchise it... there that is a business on its own, charge 0.75% and you got a huge market. it just needs to happen.
  • galileogalileo Member Posts: 9
    agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

--cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000

Ok, so where i put this code lines, where? Can someone be more clearly please?

galileo said:

agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

if you run geth. put the following in the terminal

geth --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000
    Rabasso said:

galileo said:

agent412 said:

I try it and did not work, I open the terminal pointing to the folder where geth.exe is, typed in terminal the code, and still not sync. The message the terminal say is 'timed out DAO fork-check, dropping'. I wait more than 10 minutes and no block have been downloaded.
    galileo said:

Rabasso said:

galileo said:

agent412 said:

I try it and did not work, I open the terminal pointing to the folder where geth.exe is, typed in terminal the code, and still not sync. The message the terminal say is 'timed out DAO fork-check, dropping'. I wait more than 10 minutes and no block have been downloaded.
    use parity, i was there 5 days ago and the only way i could make it work was installing parity in my Win machine then export the chain data into my mac reimported and wait out the blocks to pass now im all sync up, but it took me 5 days.
  • pantadorpantador Member Posts: 46
    Hi, I don't know if this is related. I've made 2 transactions recently, from myetherwallet.com eth addres to my exchange address. Both transactions showed up in etherscan.io, but both listed as pending transaction. This is the first time I'm having a pending transaction. Anything wrong? Is it on myetherwallet.com side? What should I do? It's been 23 minutes, at the moment. https://etherscan.io/address/0x44033bc9313c7c7bdcde45fc870521d70fe50975

Thanks.
  • tuppydogtuppydog Member Posts: 26
    pantador said:

Hi, I don't know if this is related. I've made 2 transactions recently, from myetherwallet.com eth addres to my exchange address. Both transactions showed up in etherscan.io, but both listed as pending transaction. This is the first time I'm having a pending transaction. Anything wrong? Is it on myetherwallet.com side? What should I do? It's been 23 minutes, at the moment. https://etherscan.io/address/0x44033bc9313c7c7bdcde45fc870521d70fe50975

Thanks.

I have the same problem, no currency shows up, but yet I have a pending transaction to myethwallet, and it shows up on the etherscan.io, but I noticed it says "0 mined", so it may just be a huge delay.
  • pantadorpantador Member Posts: 46
    Confirmed eventually. But it took more than an hour to reach 50 blocks confirmation on the receiving address.
  • rincerince Member Posts: 13
    Even with the latest geth version my geth instance fails keeping up with the blockchain when there are blocks including "attack transaction". :( The hardware isn't the most powerful but before those attacks there were no problems. I am running witch cache 1024 setting :/
  • tuppydogtuppydog Member Posts: 26
    pantador said:

Thanks.

I did receive the transaction, it just took a long time because of the delays.
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2016
    Still seems like somethings up with memory. My geth rig is older hardware and takes time to sync, etc, but nothing like now. Just installed an SSD along side the main HDD and am watching memory usage reach maximum and the HDD spool up to 100% presumably because of the page file.

:/

I'm sure they'll iron it out soon.
  • Swimmer63Swimmer63 Member Posts: 35
    I can't get GETH or Mist to update. Have not been able to for the past 48 hours.
    Finally my 0.8.1 wallet have sync. What I do was download this geth file https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/releases/tag/v1.4.13 (in my case windows file), change it for my geth file, and delete / rename the chaindata to re-sync again from the begining.
    Can you use parity with Mist on windows?
    edited September 2016
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100
    Who's need Geth ????
    Just use tool ( claymore,... ) and mine with pool. They'll pay for u.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭

Who's need Geth ????
    Just use tool ( claymore,... ) and mine with pool. They'll pay for u.

What do you think the pools use?
    we are being hammered again, even with the new geth.... can tell because my parity is going bananas with the peers, it comes and goes...and the blocks don't come in a timely matter... so some nodes will be stalling.
  • EthereumMinereuEthereumMinereu Member Posts: 42
    Pff im turning nuts, cannot get my linux node to synch up, always +- 1000 blocks behind so many " timed out DAO fork-check, dropping" errors..
  • joaogti36joaogti36 Member Posts: 33
    switch to parity
  • k3malb3yk3malb3y Member Posts: 5
    does anyone else having node sync problems ?? how long we have to wait been 2 days