New rig... 470 or 480?

josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
Hi guys im making a new rig and dont want to mod any bios , just put the rig working from the start without problems (maybe underclock it), the 470/480 cards with 4 gb seems to be at the same price point, which one do you recommend?

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 470 4GB/asus 480 4b /msi 4 gb or asus/msi/gigabyte 470 4 gb

Comments

• vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
    Depends on the price, but go with the 470 4GB if you can find them. In Canada they're about $100 cheaper than the 480 8GB.

From what I've seen from others, the 470s are the better deal in terms of dollars per MH. I have 6 MSI 480 Gaming X's on stock settings. Running EthOS linux, they get about 23.5 MH/s each. I can't confirm, but I've seen people report the 470s getting anywhere from 20 MH/s to 28 MH/s.

Also, if you're not going to mod the bios then go with the MSI gaming. The cooling is phenomenal, my cards don't even hit 45 degrees Celsius when mining 24/7.

Hope that helps!
    A word of caution though. I started about a month ago, and with difficulty rising the way it is, I probably won't break even with my 6 480s. I started mining almost 1 ETH per day and now I'm down to about 0.72 ETH per day. It would have made more sense just to buy ETH, you'll end up with more ETH that way than you would buying a rig and mining.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    4x 390s here getting like ~.6 Eth a day. As long as POS doesn't hit till mid 2017 I'll make money on this rig. Planning on adding 2x 390s

And if things keep happening like they are, price going up and staying that way, that .6 ETH a day just got worth a lot more than it previously was.

Plus once POS does hit, you can mine something else. You can be profitable with a GPU mining rig. Don't let others talk you out of it. Way the pros/cons out yourself and decide if it is worth the risk. Plus if all else fails, you'll have hardware to sell. You cant sell an worthless coin. (Though that won't happen to Ether :D )
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    vgm said:

A word of caution though. I started about a month ago, and with difficulty rising the way it is, I probably won't break even with my 6 480s. I started mining almost 1 ETH per day and now I'm down to about 0.72 ETH per day. It would have made more sense just to buy ETH, you'll end up with more ETH that way than you would buying a rig and mining.

Thanks for the suggestion man
    @SWDude26 Definitely, I agree with you, you will make money. If ETH continues to go up then we'll all make money mining.

My advice is that if your goal is to accumulate as much ETH as possible, then it is more cost efficient to simply buy ETH than building a rig to mine it. If I make 200ETH out of my rig before PoS, I'll be happy. Meanwhile I could have bought more than 200 ETH if I had simply spent what I have on my rig buying ETH. If your goal is to get into PoS mining/staking, then buying ETH is probably your best bet.

If you enjoy building rigs and don't mind mining something else in a year, then by all means build a rig. I had a blast building mine. As for reselling hardware, I wouldn't count on it. Picture a year from now when PoS hits, there will literally be thousands of Ethereum rigs being dismantled and all those GPUs will come flooding into the market. Add to the fact that the RX490 is due in Q1 2017. The price you will get for your used GPUs will be much much lower than you expect.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Agreed. Which is why it's smart to have a hand in the water to get a good feel of what's going down so you can hopefully be ahead of the curve. Sell out a month or 2 before POS hits to minimize your hardware loss.

Though, for me personally, I will have already hit ROI + profit by then. If I decided to sell out, I'd see whatever I got for my hardware as a bonus at that point.

I'm more likely to sell my 390s and get either RX 4XXs or 1070s depending on what the future holds for GPU mining.
    i can get some asus 480 oc at 230$ and some asus/msi 470 stock at 200-210$ which one do you suggest?
    Thanks guys, well i must say my power bill isnt an issue, electricity is almost "free" here, so all my earning would be to hit poi + profit
    guys need some advice, im making a 2nd rig, and im new to this bios modding stuff, so im looking for a card with dual bios, according to what i had read here the 470 nitro and 480 nitro are both good options right?

I can find the 470 4 gb nitro for 217$ and the 480 4 gb nitro for 229$ which should i choose?