WINDOWS SETTINGS

danny1danny1 Member Posts: 42
What windows settings should be turned off (or on) to optimize hashrate? For example, I have windows automatic updates turned off. What other settings should be changed?

Comments

• agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    danny1 said:

What windows settings should be turned off (or on) to optimize hashrate? For example, I have windows automatic updates turned off. What other settings should be changed?

make sure your computer doesn't go to sleep.
  • Sequoia93Sequoia93 Member Posts: 130
    what @agent412 said.
    Also make sure no antivirus (incl. windows defender) auto removes anything important, such as your miner...
  • JosevoraJosevora Lisbon, PortugalMember Posts: 93
    hehehehe here i come again!

the two above are the important ones...
    i'll just add some extra things:

you can turn on self Powering On, in your BIOS (not all BIOS have this)
    create a shortcut to a *.bat file with your config on it
    place the shortcut on your "Run at Startup" folder!
    (This way if you are not home and let's say your power goes off, when it comes back, your PC will Turn on and resume mining without anyone having to do so...)

this will help you with 50-66% of hardware related shutdowns as well...

for software related issues, use (my suggestion, there are more options) Google Chrome Remote Desktop to monitor your Rig(s) from, lets say, your Smartphone at any time, any place(with internet)!

(this if you want to have a life...... but if you want to sit and watch your rig work, its ok... just grab a nice pillow! :p )

Hope That Helps,
    Take Care!
  • ursul0ursul0 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2016
    0) as mentioned before, set up in the bios "Power ON on power loss" option
    1) Make it headless, get one of those per rig (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-dummy-plug-4K-DDC-EDID-emulator-fake-display-headless-digital-slim/161265341755)
    2) for remote control RealVNC works great for all platforms (disable session disconnect timeout and optionally JAVA - because I hate it:)
    3) Stop win services: Search, Superfetch (you may also use Sysinternals Autoruns to remove all the "autostart" shit in your system)
    4) modify windows update Group Policies, so it won't do shit without you saying so
    5) uncheck "indexing" for all your drives
    6) in advanced system settings choose "Best performance"
    7) put UAC on lowest (also while you're there disable all the notifications for FW, AV, and the rest)
    8) Do autologon (the easiest way - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/autologon.aspx)
    9) Create a scheduled task to start miner after logon (currently I use Claymore with config that sets the desired clocks/power levels)
    10) Disable RDP its fucked up anyways... the way it works with graphics - you won't be able to initialize the mining if it doesnt already run in the session - it just won't see the card/s
    Bonus - set up OpenVPN server (at the most convenient for you location), create access keys, put into each miner's OpenVPN\config\ folder along with cfg file, autostart OpenVPN service

I'm also running this on all my WinX setups, to make it less talkative: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

P.S. Ohh, I forgot Power Options, that also was mentioned earlier: make it never sleep
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2016
    RDP will not use actual GPU for mining, correct.
    Teamviewer with 2fa & high security can work for windows or ubuntu.
    My advice is do not store wallet information or any other sensitive information on any remote controllable rigs. Turn off file sharing as well.

I'm sure logmein, VNC and other remote desktop products like Google Chrome would work as well.