Bricked my 480 cards with ATIFLASH... ERROR: 0FL01

mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
edited September 2016 in Mining
Hey all. Tried flashing my XFX 480 8GB reference card and Gigabyte 480 8GB reference card with boysie's low power rom from this thread: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9400/boysies-rx480-ref-bios-29mh-low-pwr-eth-or-dual-mining#latest

I backuped my roms with GPU-Z, then went into atiflash and ran:
atiflash.exe -f -p 1 low-pwr-29MH-Boysie
0 is a non-reference XFX 480 card, 1 and 2 are the reference cards.

I only flashed card #1 (which is the number 2 card on my motherboard, and it is the XFX 480 8GB card), rebooted, went and did atiflash -i and saw card #2 and #3 is bricked. I don't know how 2 cards managed to brick when I only ran the atiflash command on #1 card.

Tried unlocking the rom to flash my backup roms, no luck. Here's a screenshot:

I've tried flashing the bricked cards with my backup (xfx backup, but i still tried the gigabyte one but same results) and a bios that I got from techpowerup (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/184552/xfx-rx480-8192-160614-1)

Any help in saving my cards, is appreciated.

edit: Interestingly enough, Device Manager still detects my cards, and I can still mine with these 3 cards. So my case is different from all the other bricked users I found on Google. Very strange.

Comments

• remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
    Maybe thats only atiflash error on reading?
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    mjaaay said:

I backuped my roms with GPU-Z,

Correct backup must be done with AtiWinFlash.
  • mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
    Jukebox said:

mjaaay said:

Wouldn't it be fine if I found a backup rom from https://www.techpowerup.com ?

edited September 2016
    mjaaay said:

Jukebox said:

mjaaay said:

Bolaris bios editor 1.4 shows warning when trying to edit roms that backed with GPU-Z.
    And no warning when backed with AtiWinFlash 2.74.

GPU-Z saves only 256 kBytes of ROM, AtiWinFlash - 512 kBytes in case of RX 480/470 series cards.

I don't know exactly what it means, but I prefer to backup ROMs with AtiWinFlash.
    Jukebox said:

mjaaay said:

Jukebox said:

mjaaay said:

Bolaris bios editor 1.4 shows warning when trying to edit roms that backed with GPU-Z.
    And no warning when backed with AtiWinFlash 2.74.

GPU-Z saves only 256 kBytes of ROM, AtiWinFlash - 512 kBytes in case of RX 480/470 series cards.

I don't know exactly what it means, but I prefer to backup ROMs with AtiWinFlash.
    I see, but I don't think this is the case. I have my backup rig with healthy RX 480 XFX cards, and I just created a backup with
    atiflash -s 0 backup.bin

I then took that file onto my broken machine, tried -unlockrom and flash it with the 512 KB backup.bin file, and I'm getting the same results
    Just to be clear, all 3 of my cards functions fine... they are detected on Device Manager, they can be overclocked on Wattman via Crimson 16.9.1, and I can mine with them. But they just show up as bricked on atiflash, and can't flash anything on them...so this does feel like a unique case, since I cannot find anyone with my same situation on google.
  • AhmedAhmed Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2016
    Ahmed said:

im use this: atiwinflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom
    : atiwinflash.exe

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that and I believe appending the .exe at the end of a file name on dos does not make a difference
    edited September 2016
    So I have some updates. This is weird. I can flash my cards IF my miner (genoil) is mining. If ethminer is turned off, atiflash -i detects bricked cards, but if ethminer is turned on, it detects fine AND flashes fine.

Flashing back to the original backed up bios made with GPU-Z (or a healthy 512 KB from my other rigs via atiflash -s) does not solve this issue, it still bricks unless I run ethminer.

So the moment ethminer is not running, my PC will no longer detect the two cards. Here's a screenshot:

I first ran atiflash -i, and it showed two cards as fail. I then turn on my ethminer bat, did atiflash -i, and it detects them. I had already previously flashed them and rebooted my PC, but I reflashed them with boysie's rom, and it succeeds, but if I turn my ethminer.exe off, it goes back to fail.

Does anyone have any clues? This is annoying because it causes crimson wattman to reset my settings on startup (doing 890 volt on mem) because the two cards remains bricked until I start ethminer.exe, and it's just generally unstable and giving me random bad hashrates
    It's necessary to stop any software that uses/controls/monitors (miners, GPU-z, Watttool, Sapphire Strixx, MSI AB, etc) your cards when you trying to flash them. Otherwise you have big chance to brick or burn your card.
    Jukebox said:

It's necessary to stop any software that uses/controls/monitors (miners, GPU-z, Watttool, Sapphire Strixx, MSI AB, etc) your cards when you trying to flash them. Otherwise you have big chance to brick or burn your card.

I see. The more you know. I guess my cards are fugged now?
    Have you tried atiflash under DOS?
    remek4x4 said:

Have you tried atiflash under DOS?

I have been doing the entire process on DOS... as you can see in my screenshots
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited September 2016
    @mjaaay

It's probably best to just reset the card by following @CALIGVLA 's instructions which you can find
    here.

Also, completely remove your drivers with DDU and reinstall them after that.

That'll fix all of your problems.

Ps. Use the most recent version of atiflash.
    When you flash do it from a folder created directly on your C drive. Ex. C:/atiflash.
    Use atiflash command line as administrator.

greetings!
    Heliox said:

@mjaaay

It's probably best to just reset the card by following @CALIGVLA 's instructions which you can find
    here.

Also, completely remove your drivers with DDU and reinstall them after that.

That'll fix all of your problems.

Ps. Use the most recent version of atiflash.
    When you flash do it from a folder created directly on your C drive. Ex. C:/atiflash.
    Use atiflash command line as administrator.

greetings!

That's a very nice guide, thanks @Heliox and @CALIGVLA . I'll try it out tomorrow!
    That's Windows bro. DOS is when you boot from the pendrive into DOS, you can make it so with Rufus software. I'm suggesting that becouse some software on windows may interfere with atflash.
    remek4x4 said:

That's Windows bro. DOS is when you boot from the pendrive into DOS, you can make it so with Rufus software. I'm suggesting that becouse some software on windows may interfere with atflash.

Oh....damn that's embarrassing. I'll give that a try before resorting to CALLIGVLA's option, since that one looks pretty intimidating. Thanks man
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @remek4x4 @mjaaay last I heard the newest version of atiflash does not work via DOS / USB stick boot
    Everyone seems to be using the command line atiflash from windows.
  • goengoen Member Posts: 8
    hi, i have a problem here. i have just flash a bios. its working but i cant change the bios. i cant evern detect it under atiflash. its detected by windows device manager and gpuz thou.
    it says no adapter found.

is there any way to restore/change to another bios rom (place jumper in bios chip pin1-8?)
    the card is covered with plate that i cant remove it without detach the heat sink first.
    its power color red devil card.
    thanks.

https://s12.postimg.org/a8wdf27vh/no_adapter.png
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    goen said:

hi, i have a problem here. i have just flash a bios. its working but i cant change the bios. i cant evern detect it under atiflash. its detected by windows device manager and gpuz thou.
    it says no adapter found.

is there any way to restore/change to another bios rom (place jumper in bios chip pin1-8?)
    the card is covered with plate that i cant remove it without detach the heat sink first.
    its power color red devil card.
    thanks.

https://s12.postimg.org/a8wdf27vh/no_adapter.png

check properties in device manager on those cards and the code will determine the problem
    prolly a 43 which means the driver isnt starting the card if u havent upgrade to 16.9.1
    thanks guys..
    tried in win10 seem dead end.
    now install win7 pro and there is hope.
    atiflash recognized the card.
    will flash later.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    There is a trick for unbricking that i heard.
    You have to plug in the riser after the POST screen iirc.
    thats too risky for me.
    maybe my win10 is somehow corrupt.
    its all good in win7 fresh install + latest amd driver

thanks,
    edited September 2016
    Alright I got news. I decided to fix this issue once and for all. After a TON of hours troubleshooting, I realized the culprit was... Crossfire.

AMD Crimson enables crossfire by default. Even if you disable it on a 2-GPU card setup, it will re-enable itself if you seat a 3rd GPU in.

I have pretty much set AMD Crimson to never start anymore since I use WattTool fulltime now... so after I disabled Crossfire, all my cards were detected fine on Atiflash and there weren't any issues.

So in the end, it didn't have anything to do with GPU-Z being on, or having my miner running when I flashed, it was because of bloody Crossfire that auto enables if you have a motherboard that supports it (My 3 cards on my gaming rig are all seated on the mobo, not using any risers).

Oh and it's true that the GPU-Z backup roms are bad. My non-ref XFX 480 was 128kb when I backed it up on GPU-Z, and it totally destroyed my card. Thankfully I have a bios-switch button on the non-ref card, and managed to uninstall my bricked card on Device manager, shutdown, switch the Bios button back to the bricked card, then reflashed a CLEAN 480 non-ref rom that had been backedup by Atiflash (256kb). That worked and I made a custom rom out of the 256kb and copied the 29MH settings from @boysie via polaris editor and pasted them onto the non-ref card, flashed, and that worked totally fine.

So thanks @Jukebox for advising to backup my bios via Atiflash. And thanks for the community for its advice. Also, atiflash on usb bootup totally does not work, you get "you cannot run this program in DOS mode" with 2.74, and if you do tried the older versions or even atiwinflash, you get "no adapters detected" since DOS mode doesn't load up any drivers. How people managed to do this in the old days, bewilders me since I had tried several guides from 2009 and 2010 to the T, using freedos and hpusbdisk with the correct old atiflash/atiwinflash versions (along with a lot of other variations).

What a long day.
  • TylerDourdenTylerDourden Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Hi guys. I have very similar problem as mjaaay.

I have xfx rx 480, asus rog strix rx 570 and saphire rx 570. I managed to install all of them, using mixed drivers 16.9.2 and 17.4.3. Everything worked fine until I flashed bios for ASUS ROG. Suddenly, device menager recognized all my cards as RX 570 and i started to get windiws error: THREAD STUCK INN DEVICE DRIVER

I disconnected my ROG STRIX RX 570 and now I am mining with XFX and Saphire and that error isn't appearing any more. My cards are visible in device menager, i managed to install drivers again but when i try to flash i get NO ADAPTER FOUND. What makes my case different then mjaaay's is when i type atiflash -i, i also get NO ADAPTER found. I tried to flash them from DOS using Rufus software but same thing happened.

Do you guys have any idea what is happening? I am new to this and it drives me nuts. Any kind of help is verymuch appriciated. Thanks.
  • vilgusvilgus Member Posts: 2
    The reason you cant flash your GPU BIOS (failed to read ROM error) can be in the following. If you have more than one GPU card installed the ones not used at the moment may go into a power save state. This is called ULPS - ultra low power state and can be disabled in the Windows registry (probably some utilities can do it as well). Just check Google for disabling ULPS. Once you make appropriate changes in the Windows registry - reboot your PC and try to flash GPU BIOS again.
  • Gab81Gab81 Member Posts: 10
    I've tryed this solution, windows run fine but when i launch the command atiflash -i the adapter is not found. I've one MSI RX470 GamingX.
    The bios chip is one Winbond w25x40cl
  • pjaspenpjaspen Member Posts: 15
    glad you got it working. I almost bricked a card too, one of the first, luckily, it had a bios switch and I also did the trick to bios switch with the pc on to restore both bios.

now, I always flash my cards with windows atiflash, no dos, never had any issues... also, for anyone reading this, a last resort solution is to blind flash the cards via a dos boot, you can find this solution on google. blind flash.
  • LippyCKLippyCK Member Posts: 24
    If your having problems flashing your cards in windows use Rufus v1.1.7f to make MS-DOS bootable USB and use atiflash2.74, that combo should recognize and flash your bricked cards.

As for drivers, while installing crimson beta blockchain drivers go to custom install and unselect all except amd drivers(first option). For overclocking use msi afterburner or sapphire trixx.
    As far as i noticed amd drivers are very stable but what is making a lot of problems are wattman and other crap added to driver package.

I cant say that with 100% certainty for all RX cards cos i have only one rx 560 and i tested it on friends rx 480 which had crashes and driver fails while overclocked and whole driver package was installed(same if OC in wattman or in msi afterburner).
    The minute i DUU drivers and install only AMD Display Drivers without AMD Problem Report Wizard and AMD Radeon Settings, overclocked with msi afterburner everything was working perfect without any crashes or driver fails.
    Same goes for all my old R9 and R7 cards(both blockchain and gaming drivers) they were all crashing or had driver failed on OC while whole driver package was installed but they work perfectly while only AMD Display Drivers are installed.
    Im not using HDMI sound on any card so i dont install those drivers but if you need HDMI sound i think those drivers shouldnt be a problem but report wizard and amd radeon settings seam to cause crashes.