Low Hashrate - MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming X on EthOS

vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
I have a new rig with 6 MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming X's on stock settings. After about a week of steady mining with EthOS and ethermine.org as my pool, my rig is averaging about 140 MH/s or about 23.3 MH/s per card.

I've seen people report similar hashrates with the 480 on stock settings, but this still seems very low. Other people have suggested EthOS is ignoring the factory overclock settings, is this the case? I was expecting somewhere closer to 28 MH/s per card.

Is there anyone out there who is using the MSI RX 480 Gaming X with EthOS who has managed to get a better hashrate?

Is there anyone who has successfully managed to overclock this card in EthOS?

And is there anyone working on a modified BIOS for this specific card? I know the reference cards are getting 31 MH/s+ with a modified BIOS. Surely the MSI gaming is capable of this and beyond.

Thanks and Happy Mining!

Comments

• SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2016
    Hey there. I posted in a thread a few days ago regarding my MSI Gaming X on ethos, and another gent responded with identical (mediocre) results. I've quoted my post below; suffice it to say it seems like support for the RX 480 in ethos--in particular overclocking and the like--is in early stages of development. For the time being I'm running my RX 480 cards at pwr 3 for efficiency and getting 23.5gh/s. I would expect in the coming weeks an update to rectify this.

Full link to the quoted thread: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9137/ethos-1-1-0-with-rx-400-series-support/p1

I've been playing around with a new RX 480 build for hours now. I've got it so the OC will "stick" after five minutes, reporting correctly in stats, but the miner still shows 24 mh/s. I've played around with it ad nauseum and the miner will show 24 mh/s after five minutes regardless of what I do...stock settings in config, OC settings in config, doesn't matter.

Interestingly I just took a look at the pool and the rig is hashing at ~26.70mh/s, but it hasn't been running long enough to verify, and of course the pool hash rate fluctuates. Is it possible there's some bug whereby the OS will cap reporting at ~24 mh/s? Either that or is stats reporting an OC but it's not actually there?

This has me really stumped. Hopefully an update down the line will streamline this a bit, but at the end of the day we're only talking a few mh/s.

For anyone interested this is an MSI Gaming X on 1.1.1

Edit: I've since removed the OC as it appears to do nothing, and set the power level to 3 to keep things on the low end of the spectrum until things get sorted. Miner is still showing the exact same results, 20.87 mh/s and 26.08 mh/s back to back in an endless loop. It's reporting to the pool and submitting good shares so there's nothing fundamentally wrong, however it seems there're a kink somewhere that need ironing out.
  • vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
    Thanks SpydrMstrmnd.
    Has anyone tried the MSI RX 480 Gaming X on Windows? I'm thinking Windows would have much better support for overclocking as of right now. Might test this soon if EthOS doesn't fix support for overclocking 480s.
  • hankzetankhankzetank Sweden Member Posts: 53
    I'm running 2 gaming x 8GB on windows 8.1 stock bios claymore dualming, intensity 23. Core 1075/990 mem 2200/990 .
    Get 27.2mhash and 300 sia on each. Eth only 1055core and mem same.
    Thanks Hank, good to know!
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    New ethos 1.1.2 version will be released soon with lots of fixes for rx 480, i am waiting for that too. Right now i am running 6x sapphire rx 480 8gb at stock settings.. can't wait for the update.
  • MRGMRG Member Posts: 13
    @ciprianpt Do you have updated numbers with these GPU's with the new 1.1.3 EthOS?
    MRG said:

@ciprianpt Do you have updated numbers with these GPU's with the new 1.1.3 EthOS?

Yes, i have updated to 1.1.3 and everything runs ok, the most stable mem is 2225 with stock core settings. Also tested it with zcash and i got 220 h/s.
  • MRGMRG Member Posts: 13
    @ciprianpt Great, thank you. You might want to try it with the new 1.1.4 update, there is a significant improvement on hashing power with ZEC.
  • AlnemerAlnemer Member Posts: 5
    ciprianpt said:

MRG said:

Yes, i have updated to 1.1.3 and everything runs ok, the most stable mem is 2225 with stock core settings. Also tested it with zcash and i got 220 h/s.
    how many cards you used?
    Alnemer said:

ciprianpt said:

MRG said:

how many cards you used?
    6 cards, but that was at stock settings with no overclock cor/mem, sorry!!
    edited November 2016
    I just updated to 1.1.4, this is crazy, my rig of R7 370 4gb went from 92h/s to 152.8 hash, 25.5 hash per miner.. is this real life?

I will test on 480 rig soon!