Which Sapphire Nitro? 470 8GB or 480 4GB

RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
I have the choice between these two cards at roughly the same price.

I'm not considering messing around with the BIOS, but I do want to optimize hashrate / power draw / noise / temp etc as much as possible using WattMan.

Which one would you recommend and why?

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 470 8G DUAL DP OC
2048 Stream Processors
1121 MHz Core / 1260 MHz Boost
2000 MHz Memory
Power Consumption <175W

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 480 4GB DUAL DP OC
2304 Stream Processors
1208 MHz Core / 1306 MHz Boost
1750 MHz Memory
Power Consumption <225W

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Both great cards. I have a mix. 4GB cards run very low power which can be handy. I went with a 4:1 ratio of 8gb to 4gb. It really depends on your requirements.
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    muzzy124 said:

up to 30 MH/s

without modding the BIOS?
    Yogi said:

For my view the 470 8GB 100% winner here.

What would be your recommended setting for the 470 8GB? I'm looking for a good balance of hash rate, power draw, heat and noise.
    @Rider it really depends on the ASIC quality of the card each one is different.
    If you can tell me the ASIC quality of the card, I can give you some settings to test which work for me on similar asic quality cards.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Neither

Get the 470 4GB
    @Yogi I'll keep that in mind for after I get the card.
    @adaseb Nitro or non-Nitro? Would you mind elaborating why?
    Rider said:

Cheaper and almost same speeds.
    edited August 2016
    Nitro. Better cooling solution - 8 pin power adapter at the front of the card. Better re-sale value later on (i think).
    4gb version you will get around 24 - 25 mh low power 8gb you will get 29mh low/med power.

Both versions I run at about 46 degrees @ 2200 rpm just because of the cooling solution the nitro offers. They really are awesome cards.
    Yogi said:

Nitro. Better cooling solution - 8 pin power adapter at the front of the card. Better re-sale value later on (i think).
    4gb version you will get around 24 - 25 mh low power 8gb you will get 29mh low/med power.

Both versions I run at about 46 degrees @ 2200 rpm just because of the cooling solution the nitro offers. They really are awesome cards.

The 4GB can get 29MH/s and the 8GB can get like 32MH/s. You need to hack the bios.
    @adaseb well im in the south of france at the moment. When I get back I will look at doing more work on the memory strap timings.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @adaseb are you talking about the ref bioses by heliox and boysie? I bricked my Red Devil by using the ref bios, so i doubt you can use the same bios on these cards, unless there's a nitro custom bios floating around which I haven't seen yet..
    @hasher I modified the stock Nitro ROM about a week ago as did some others. I was getting 24-25 on the 4gig and 28-29 on the 8gig. I know boysie / heliox and a few others have been making ROM's as well. You're right, you should not use the reference ROM's on vendor specific versions of the card. I only went down as far as 1 strap timing, but i know guys have said they have gone as far as 2 - 3. In which case there is potential and I assumed this is what @adaseb was talking about, to improve the hashrate further for same / similar power draw.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @adaseb @yogi anyone care to explain the process in editing the strap timings? I might try it myself if its not too hard to do
    edited August 2016
    hasher said:

@adaseb @yogi anyone care to explain the process in editing the strap timings? I might try it myself if its not too hard to do

I just used Polaris bios editor. saved the stock ROM then copied the timing from the previous strap 1750 for instance to the 2000 strap timing. Some people have mentioned they have managed to get it working for timings from as low as 1500 mhz. It's the agressive timings on the final strap that allow for the additional gains in speed or reduced power/heat at the cost of some of the speed gained.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Yogi said:

hasher said:

I just used Polaris bios editor. saved the stock ROM then copied the timing from the previous strap 1750 for instance to the 2000 strap timing. Some people have mentioned they have managed to get it working for timings from as low as 1500 mhz. It's the agressive timings on the final strap that allow for the additional gains in speed or reduced power/heat at the cost of some of the speed gained.
    for my ref 470 4gb, the setting the 1500 strap to the higher ones was the way to go, 28mhs
    adaseb said:

Rider said:

Cheaper and almost same speeds.
    Ok. Good to know.

In my view, the non-Nitro cooler, which uses the same design as the reference 480, seems to produce more noise and seems less efficient in cooling the card than the Nitro cooler. Moreover, the Nitro cards come with dual BIOS, which makes it easier for noobs like me to play around with flashing one BIOS while having the safety net of the other BIOS in case the flashing process is messed up.
    Yogi said:

@Rider it really depends on the ASIC quality of the card each one is different.
    If you can tell me the ASIC quality of the card, I can give you some settings to test which work for me on similar asic quality cards.

@Yogi

So I got a Nitro+ 470 8G, with ASIC quality 80.4%. I'm running Win 7 64bit Ultimate, driver 16.8.3.

Using Claymore eth only in stock settings, here's what I get:

What settings would you recommend for this ASIC quality? Which tuner app should I use? WattTool? After Burner? I read WattMan is a pain to use...

Yogi said:

It's a decent card for mining.

Try memory 2125 @ 870 Core [email protected]

Increase or decrease memory / core / power as you need.

Memory seems maxed at 2100 in both WattMan 16.8.3 and AfterBurner 4.30 Beta 14. Any suggestions?
    Rider said:

Yogi said:

Memory seems maxed at 2100 in both WattMan 16.8.3 and AfterBurner 4.30 Beta 14. Any suggestions?
    WattTool for sure :)
  • Leonid100Leonid100 Member Posts: 9
    @Yogi I also have Sapphire Nitro+ 470 8Gb
    ASIC quality 90%
    Can you recomend me settings and Flash for this ASIC quality of the card.
  • ajthemacboyajthemacboy Member Posts: 22
    Everyone seems to have conflicting opinions about the 4GB and 8GB 470s. Adaseb said above the 4GB is better, Yogi said the 8GB is better. Obviously the 4GB will consume less power but is the additional MH/s on the 8GB worth it?
    edited September 2016
    @Leonid100 I would try something like memory 2125 @ 870 Core [email protected] and work from there.
    edited September 2016
    @ajthemacboy they are both good cards in my view. I have both cards. If you want low power and low heat 4GB is better. If you want speed 8GB is better. Totally depends on your requirements really. Then again if heat and power are no issue at all then the 480 is better.
  • ajthemacboyajthemacboy Member Posts: 22
    Yogi said:

@ajthemacboy they are both good cards in my view. I have both cards. If you want low power and low heat 4GB is better. If you want speed 8GB is better. Totally depends on your requirements really. Then again if heat and power are no issue at all then the 480 is better.

According to what adaseb said above only a 3 MH/s different, I think I'll go for the 4GB to save some money.
    Yogi said:

Rider said:

Yogi said:

WattTool for sure :)
    I tried WattTool, but the memory won't overclock beyond 2100... I put in 2125 and click Set but as soon as I hit Set it goes back to 2100. Same thing with Sapphire TRIXX. Any ideas?
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Yogi said:

470s are cheaper by far