XFX 480 8Gb GTR stats and questions

shooter40swshooter40sw Member Posts: 47
Hi Im new in mining eth, I used to mine BTC with an ASIC miner until it blew... so, I got an XFX rx480 GTR 8GB
undervolted to 1.05
GPU core at 1288MHZ
GPU Memory 2000Mhz
GPU Temp at 57 C
fan Speed minimum 1800rpm
Power Draw at 78.4Wats
Memory usage 1932MB

Im using nicehash minng daggerhashimoto aka eth
So is this a good way? the miners like claymore wood give me better performance... I would mine directly to my coinbase address, I know nicehash will convert to BTC to my coinbase account too..
I got Windows 10.
Can I get some recommendations from you guys?,
I dont want to cook my GPU....
are there any advantage in the money part, because it looks like the profit is going to be the same with nice hash converting to btc, because with the MH speed says its going to be like 1.6$ a day
Thanks

Comments

• CoreolCoreol Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Hi, what hashrates did you manage to get on your card?
  • shooter40swshooter40sw Member Posts: 47
    Hi, Im getting stable 25.5MH, I overclocked the GPU memory to 2200GHz, and under volted the GPU Memory Clock from 1V to 950mV, I underclocked the GPU Core click to 1260Mhz, power draw and temps remain the same, I just ramped up the fan to 2000RPM, any help to get better hash rate? thanks
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I used nicehash for a few weeks last April. I don't remember exact numbers but multi algo + cpu was less profitable than using a different miner to mine eth only. Then I used nicehash to gpu mine, but the profit wasn't worth the power.

Now I use claymore and dual mine (eth + sia on two rigs and eth + lbc on another). I would definitely experiment with both and see what works best for you.
    edited September 2016
    but will it give you a bump in the hash rate? Im getting 25.5 at aprox 79 to 81 power draw, or it wasnt worth it because now you are mining 2 coins?
  • sandal7sandal7 Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2016
    What power is drawn from the wall. Can u submit your hardware configuration etc motherboard and how many devices are connected tho the rig - harddrive and other? I plan to setup few rigs with 6x XFX 480 rs, gtr, or black edition, but i dont know what PSU will be enough for this setup.
    Post edited by sandal7 on
    I dont have a way to test the power draw from the wall in this moments, maybe in a few weeks, this is not just a mining rig I use it for other stuff too but not always, so I just have this card in a standard pc, the psu is a evga bronze 600w
  • sandal7sandal7 Member Posts: 14
    Ok then post when you know that. Thanks
    sandal7 said:

Ok then post when you know that. Thanks

Sorry I wont be able, was going to test with a wemo, but its 110v and I have the PSU on a 220v, and where I live, I pay about 1 day of mining per month so its dirt cheap, I can calculate something between 220watts to 300w max I got a i5 core skylake that must top 65watts plus 2 hdd and 6 fans, thats it...and I can use My pc with no issues... any suggestions to ramp a bit the MH is welcome, and if this is close to the max that the card can give without burning it quick than I feel that the mission is accomplished for me at least, thanks...
  • xutrusxutrus Member Posts: 3
    I have a similar card, 6 pieces

At the moment I have 28 mh\s

All I've done is to copy the program PolarisBiosEditor values of line 1750 in 2000, and has kept flashed via Atiflash

I would be extremely grateful if @boysie helped firmware. Perhaps tell what values you can edit or copy of your firmware?

This site https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=1002-67DF-1682-9480 says that "RX 480 8192 MB GTR Triple X" is compatible with "RX 480 4096 MB Reference"

Original = RX 480 8192 MB GTR Triple X

GTR Triple X vs. Boysie's RX480 (REF) BIOS 29MH LOW PWR:

GTR Triple X vs XFX RX 480 4Gb Ref

GTR Triple X vs XFX RX 480 8Gb Ref

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    my approach

the bottom 3 to the right are the primary focus,

the timings I think you all know about

the core list has 3 sections, the base clock (top rom) you don't need to change
    the rest of the rows form your dpm 1-7
    65282 - 65288 = auto calc mv
    you can replace there with other values to give them a static mv you want in your rom
    the cores you can obviously replace also, step them up gradually and you will give the controller the room to adjust it self, I've seen all sort here but I liekl to stick with a nice stepping up approach, you can do as you need.

memory
    this is just what the min will be, it will also be what is set to. default. power is ignored at least for now, no idea why

powerplay
    ignor unless you want to raise the max mem speed

powertune
    the ref rom was a little tight on power , no idea about these cards
    hot spot to 100
    shutdown to 90
    max temp 85
    the others you can change to give the card more options I think its limits not actual output, I'm not clear what does what tbh

why so low? to save power...that was the idea of this rom.

Boysie
    Nothing I can do besides flash firmware, thing Im not ready to do yet to rise the hashrate?, I connected the hdmi to a monitor I dont use so the PC can use the intel integrated gpu, I managed to lower the gpu clock to 1100 with no issues, and it consumes about 60 to 70watts on the gpuz, I ramped gpu mem to 2250 but I it does not go higher than 25.5, and on the ethminer it maintains stable 25.5 but every 5 to 10 hashes it drops to 20mhs, I dont understand when people talk about 30% power on the watman... what else can be done? and if this behavior is normal.
    Thanks
    @xutrus very interesting. Did you manage to go higher than 28MH? Have you tried to under volt GPU voltage and under clock frequency? And maybe increase Mem clock?
  • xutrusxutrus Member Posts: 3
    8gb copy timing - 1750 to 2000
    4gb copy timing - 1500 to 1625, 1750 and 2000
    wattman setting:

1.JPG 126.7K
    2.JPG 128.5K
    Do I have to flash the card? sorry Im new, I keep getting 25.5 with this card, thanks, please point me to the right direction! thanks
    xutrus said:

wattman setting:

• ZiljZilj Member Posts: 61

Do I have to flash the card? sorry Im new, I keep getting 25.5 with this card, thanks, please point me to the right direction! thanks

xutrus said:

wattman setting:

The reason you are only getting 25.5 is due to the memory timing section, you need to copy the 1750 to the 2000 memory string, without doing this your cards mem controller will only run at 80-90% and not 100%

from there you can adjust your other values, to see what suits your cards, it will differ slightly where you can min-max too.

The new non ref cards can easily get 30+MH/s while mining Sia still for about 130 watts at the wall.
    Zilj said:

xutrus said:

wattman setting:

The reason you are only getting 25.5 is due to the memory timing section, you need to copy the 1750 to the 2000 memory string, without doing this your cards mem controller will only run at 80-90% and not 100%

from there you can adjust your other values, to see what suits your cards, it will differ slightly where you can min-max too.

The new non ref cards can easily get 30+MH/s while mining Sia still for about 130 watts at the wall.
    The only way to achieve this is by flashing the card ?
    edited October 2016
    @shooter40sw Yes you would have to flash your card, which isn't really the hard part if you "just" want to change timings.

A word of warning though: I set up a test rig with 4 of these cards, flashed them with a bios where the only change was to have the 1750 timings in the 2000s and afterwards did some manual tweaks using Watttool.
    The problem is that you have to literally fine tune every single card, since what works well with one doesn't work with another... It's quite a pain in the butt if you have to do this on more than one rig :smile:
    Or at least I didn't manage to find this sweet spot yet.

Also, don't rely on MH/s reported in your miner, as this might not be accurate. I modded a card once to 31.3MH/s as reported by the miner, but in reality the speed was more like 10MH/s. If you are mining in a pool, the calculated hashrate there will give you a more accurate approximation.

P.s.: one more warning - I managed to get some pretty good results with this cards (29.5-30MH) but always stress test it for 24 hours to be sure. I crashed after 4-5 hours.
    And also check for memory errors. Having those a lot is usually a good indicator that your card will crash sooner or later.