28MH-470OC.Nitro-4GB Boysie ROM - DUAL Mining

Comments

• sukleesuklee Member Posts: 34
    Tried moving two of these flashed Nitro's into an existing rig of 4x RX480s. The Nitro's won't detect, I've tried signing atikmdag.sys already.

Is it possible to mix 4x reference 480s & 2x (flashed) 470s?

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    What memory does this Nitro 4GB have? Is it Hynix like the MSI 4GB or the better Samsung memory.

• MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    Its hynix yeah. Mine aren't stable @ 28mhs for more than one day.
  • CoreolCoreol Member Posts: 30
    suklee said:

MARETH2 said:

Dont plug more than 1 riser on one sata cable

I didn't - I have 4 SATA power cables, each powers a single RX470 with their own SATA -> Molex power. I'm not exactly sure what's safe but the black SATA connector was noticeably hot to the touch... between 40-50C.

scared to run this rig overnight at the mo, until I get some Molex-only power cables
    Yea, running 470/480s on risers that are using sata to draw power = Bad idea. I don't think that SATA was ever meant to be used with these amounts of power.
  • io8126io8126 Member Posts: 13
    My result:

-dcri 22

only eth ~27
    1.png 403.4K
    After first card, flash another 2, but with bad results.

card is the same, but when start mining gpu clock dropping down to 600 - 900 mhz.
    2.png 309.6K
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    rise your power limit
    Coreol said:

suklee said:

MARETH2 said:

Dont plug more than 1 riser on one sata cable

I didn't - I have 4 SATA power cables, each powers a single RX470 with their own SATA -> Molex power. I'm not exactly sure what's safe but the black SATA connector was noticeably hot to the touch... between 40-50C.

scared to run this rig overnight at the mo, until I get some Molex-only power cables
    Yea, running 470/480s on risers that are using sata to draw power = Bad idea. I don't think that SATA was ever meant to be used with these amounts of power.
    IR gun said one of the wires near the SATA connector was nearing 60C :o
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    io8126 said:

After first card, flash another 2, but with bad results.

card is the same, but when start mining gpu clock dropping down to 600 - 900 mhz.

Look at that core speed throttling
    solved with another modular cable from psu
    Unless gpu-z shows less then 75W i dont see a reason for screenshots... 117W! this is 170 on the wall, thats nuts!
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2016
    I loaded bios to RX 470 OC successfully . I have installed 18.9.1 drivers and with this one you dont need to sign atikmdag.sys . But as soon as mining process starts I get black screen ?

Can you share your settings for claymore miner ?

I checked my settings its 1130 core / 1945 mhz memory.

What can be wrong ?

With stock rom RX 470 OC mine fine with 22 mhash in dual mode. But with this BIOS I get black screen as soon as mining claymore starts.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    cveks said:

I loaded bios to RX 470 OC successfully . I have installed 18.9.1 drivers and with this one you dont need to sign atikmdag.sys . But as soon as mining process starts I get black screen ?

Can you share your settings for claymore miner ?

I checked my settings its 1130 core / 1945 mhz memory.

What can be wrong ?

With stock rom RX 470 OC mine fine with 22 mhash in dual mode. But with this BIOS I get black screen as soon as mining claymore starts.

be sure u resetted your old settings in WattMan. and use WattmOn for new settings.
    edited September 2016
    I use latest Sapphire Trixxx now. And I found reason why PC crashes when I start claymore. I have crappy memory.

It works on memory speed of 1870 . Everything above 1900 mhz - PC crashes. I have Hynix memory on my Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 470 OC

Model SKU# 11256-01-20G

With 1130 clock / 1870 Mhz memory I get 26.5 mhash/s

I now have 27.6 to 28 mhash/s in dual mode with 1880 mhz memory and dcri 22.

I will try now flash another card and see what is going on.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    zorvalth said:

Unless gpu-z shows less then 75W i dont see a reason for screenshots... 117W! this is 170 on the wall, thats nuts!

is it a multiplier or just a straight addition to figure this?
    edited September 2016
    other card can run on 1945 mhz memory and pulls out 28 mhash/s in dual mining mode.. So it looks that first one is simply with crappy memory chip.

zorvalth said:

is it a multiplier or just a straight addition to figure this?
    There is nothing impressive to have a result more then 80-85W on gpu-z. 117 is nuts! everything over 110-120W on the wall its way too much for 470.
    Cobra98 said:

zorvalth said:

Is there something else I'm missing? All I've done is just flash the bios with boysie's.
    Did you try lowering the memory voltage, default is 1000 - try 900
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    cveks said:

I use latest Sapphire Trixxx now. And I found reason why PC crashes when I start claymore. I have crappy memory.

It works on memory speed of 1870 . Everything above 1900 mhz - PC crashes. I have Hynix memory on my Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 470 OC

Model SKU# 11256-01-20G

If this is a 4gb nitro I don't see the issue. The card is performing fine looking at the benchmarks. It could be improved through just using basic settings of core / memory and power

The BIOS really just allows you to mod the settings based on the upgraded timings. So it's down to you to find the perfect balance on each card!

The Hynix memory performs really well actually in my view. It performs well even taking the strap timings from 1500mhz.

What is the ASIC value of the card ?

Also your core speed is too high for memory clock.

Also, I wouldn't push the Hynix modules above 1900 anyway. That's approaching 10% OC as it is on top of using the aggressive timings from the modded BIOS. There is only so much it can take.

Bear in mind, these cards were comming in 21mh @ stock ETH only!!!
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    cveks said:

Model SKU# 11256-01-20G

When playing with RX 470's your two best friends are: Undervolting, and Underclocking. Its all about thermal and power efficiency. At higher power draws you run the risk of burning out your risers or connectors over longer periods.
    The Core and the Memory sort of work in tandem, and you have to find the optimal balance. At memory speeds around 1850 a core speed over 1000 is hardly beneficial while drawing more power. I would recommend that you underclock the core to 1000/870mv and the mem to 1875/870 for starters, and see if that's stable. Even the worst card that I have ( 64% ASIC level ) manages 1000/870 and 1870/900 and does that at - 26.5mh/s dual mining sia at dcri - 18 drawing 70W (GPUZ) and [email protected]% fan.
    Beyond that though is open fields, each card has a different overclocking peak, I have some that have hit 2000 on mem, and some that do not go beyond 1850 stable.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

boysie said:

Hi All

Been working on this one this weekend.

As per most people this is using the 1500 strap

power is on auto, and I'm manually setting mem to 980 after flashing and applying a reset, I did notice a few times a reset is not working, change something apply it, then reset to get the reset to apply correctly. then either use watttool or wattman to apply the power for mem, change the core power at your own risk, I saw a lot of issues with thread stuck in driver bsod by having the power to low on core, hence why its on auto.

stock dual mining is 22Mh and quite low power for the rig around 750w
    @28MH dual mining you are looking at around 1100w for a 6card rig. so make sure you have the power.

I'm using a 1200w evga P2 @ 230v

Some power savings can be applied to some cards but not all, so if you need better power apply 1 at a time and tweak the power. but I found it got unstable quickly

have fun and flash at your own risk.

Boysie

Nice work :) can you offer offer a short guide for flashing?
    they were all over this forum a few weeks ago. I posted a guide (or quoted one or two) in a previous comment of mine so you can search my profile a few weeks back.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    i hope that 480 Nitros can go over 32 MH/s
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Great work on the rom @boysie. I was having stability issues on some of my cards, so I moved the power limit up to +50. Everything is running rock solid now. Power consumption is still very reasonable. Good stuff!! :) I hope these cards will last long running overclocked like this! :persevere:
  • xLEEJOHNxxLEEJOHNx Member Posts: 2

cveks said:

Model SKU# 11256-01-20G

When playing with RX 470's your two best friends are: Undervolting, and Underclocking. Its all about thermal and power efficiency. At higher power draws you run the risk of burning out your risers or connectors over longer periods.
    The Core and the Memory sort of work in tandem, and you have to find the optimal balance. At memory speeds around 1850 a core speed over 1000 is hardly beneficial while drawing more power. I would recommend that you underclock the core to 1000/870mv and the mem to 1875/870 for starters, and see if that's stable. Even the worst card that I have ( 64% ASIC level ) manages 1000/870 and 1870/900 and does that at - 26.5mh/s dual mining sia at dcri - 18 drawing 70W (GPUZ) and [email protected]% fan.
    Beyond that though is open fields, each card has a different overclocking peak, I have some that have hit 2000 on mem, and some that do not go beyond 1850 stable.
    Can you share your rom please so I can have an idea of where you are at?
    I would like to see the timings and how you have the core/memory set up

• josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2016
    thanks for this, will try this mod when i receive my new cards! now im just searching on the forum the how to save/flash bios

Guys saving bios with gpuz isnt good right? had to be done with ati winflash ? Whats the command line for that? Thanks

Another question (Sorry 1st time flashing bios), according to a guide found somewhere, this card got 2 bioses, i should backup both? wich 1 should i replace? Thanks again
  • punkshoopunkshoo Member Posts: 22
    @boysie Been running this on my new rig since last weekend. My meter isn't here yet so I dont know the power consumption but she's running super stable pulling in around 112MH/s with 4 Nitro 480s. I'm curious if you ever put out a BIOS ROM for the 31.5MH/s, though. If so, did you find that the increased hashrate was worth the power consumption. We've all got our concerns about PoS and I wan't to bring down as much ETH as possible before the difficulty bomb. Right now with a box fan pulling the heat away from the rig its stable at around 52-55C and CPU-Z is stating around 95W. I really love this ROM but if I could pull down even 20 more Ether between now and PoS it might be worth the extra cost in power.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    @punkshoo

you put this 470 rom on a 480? you sure?

Boysie
  • tony_crunktony_crunk Member Posts: 10
    @Boysie,

how did you read the rom to 512kb? with gpu-z I get a 256kb file! which software you are using?

the bios of my video card was released August 4, 2016 and has the timing section is not consistent with other existing bios.

do you have any idea?
    P.S. sorry for my english ... I used google translator ... :-)

• mynickmynick Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2016
    Polaris bios editor 1.4 can not change your bios, not change timing and dont creat cheksum.
    We need new polaris bio editor :(

I have same problem
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    mynick said:

Polaris bios editor 1.4 can not change your bios, not change timing and dont creat cheksum.
    We need new polaris bio editor :(

I have same problem

eh?