Best cards to buy right now?

bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
I'm looking to expand a bit more, Before today I always bought 390's new for $220 but now apparently my retail connections aren't getting any more. I'm at a loss of what card to buy now, Could anyone suggest a card thats stable and will run at 29-31 mh/s like the 390's did. I was thinking of the 480's been then seeing all these horror stories of stuff melting and too much power through the risers is giving me a bad taste.

Would I be better of just buying more 390's for like $280?

Comments

• BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @bctopics
    390-what a great card, especially MSI. Solid as a rock!
    There are quite a few of them on ebay-$240 and above, shipped.
    I sold quite a few there. Selling only because I run out of power and 470 use a bit less. The last MSi 390 is not paid for yet-I will know in a couple of days if the guy won't pay, then you can have that one for $240, shipped to US.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Biodom said:

@bctopics
    390-what a great card, especially MSI. Solid as a rock!
    There are quite a few of them on ebay-$240 and above, shipped.
    I sold quite a few there. Selling only because I run out of power and 470 use a bit less. The last MSi 390 is not paid for yet-I will know in a couple of days if the guy won't pay, then you can have that one for $240, shipped to US.

Please do let me know! I'd be interested for sure!
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    The 390s are fine but only if you dont care about consumption ;)
  • dolemitedolemite Member Posts: 19
    Do not buy 390s if you care about power costs. The best card, by far, is the rx480.
    As far as the risers go, if you do things properly you have nothing at all to worry about.
  • AtrocityAtrocity Member Posts: 46
    dolemite said:

As far as the risers go, if you do things properly you have nothing at all to worry about.

By "do things properly" do you mean not using the molex to sata adapters and just using 1 molex string per 480? Because that's the proper way I've been hearing about but I have yet to find a psu with enough molex strings.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Atrocity said:

dolemite said:

By "do things properly" do you mean not using the molex to sata adapters and just using 1 molex string per 480? Because that's the proper way I've been hearing about but I have yet to find a psu with enough molex strings.
    I'd also like to know this, I don't know of any PSU with enough molex strings.
    @Atrocity yes it is 6 amps on the 12v line. You have to distribute that power appropriately.
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    RX480 for the low power usage
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    If you are OK with buying used cards (and it's a good idea given that you don't have much time left to ROI for new cards) then I would buy used 390s or even 380s - 380s can be clocked at core 800 and mem 1500 and still hash at 20-21 for very low power and used ones must be really cheap now but hopefully relatively new compared to, say, a used 290. I have bought many used 290s and I have only had problems with one. It had a failing fan which I replaced for about $30.
    If you must have new cards, then yes obviously the RX 480 is the king but I don't trust the power delivery AMD "engineered" into it, especially for a card you want to run 24/7.
    @newmz again, if you distribute the power properly there is no problems. I have run 250+ 480s since the day they came out. Running 24 hours a day for almost 3 months now. There is no power problem as long as you don't try overloading any one connector. They also run much cooler than any other card.
  • SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    dolemite said:

@newmz again, if you distribute the power properly there is no problems. I have run 250+ 480s since the day they came out. Running 24 hours a day for almost 3 months now. There is no power problem as long as you don't try overloading any one connector. They also run much cooler than any other card.

*insert black guy with white powder around nose*

"You got any more of those 480s?"
  • TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    SWDude26 said:

dolemite said:

*insert black guy with white powder around nose*

"You got any more of those 480s?"

• MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2016
    dolemite said:

Which PSU are you using and how do you connect your powered risers? Do you use molex to sata adapters for risers?
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    dolemite said:

Sure, that's great - you were VERY lucky to be able to source that many 480s three months ago. Would you buy 250+ new GPUs now though? I mean given the upward surge in difficulty and the looming spectre of POS? I think the only thing in favour of buying a brand new RX card now is that when POS stops ETH mining they will have better resale value than an older card. My argument in favor of used cards isn't because any of them are better suited to mining than an RX480, it's just that with only a couple of months left, I personally would go for something with the highest hashrate for the least money, which would probably be a used 290 or 390. I already have some used 290s and 390s and with a moderate overclock - meaning I didn't have to flash any ROMs or do anything difficult - they are still hashing at 30-31 each.