GPU's keeps blowing up PSU's

JoopJoop Member Posts: 8
I have a little problem with my power supply's.

Here is the details.

1 x ASRock H97 Anniversary
6 x R9 290's
2 x Thermaltake - Toughpower GOLD 1000W
CPU, Memory, HD Drive.

My problem is i keep blowing up the GPU port in the power supply's.

I overclock a little

Core Voltage (mV) +0
Power Limit (%) +0
Core Clock (MHz) 1080
Memory Clock (MHz) 1250
Fan Speed (%) 85

I have killed two PSU now, I was thinking 2 x 1000W would be ok.
I don't know nothing about the Core Voltage and Power Limit stuff
so i didn't want to play around with then.

Surly 2 x1000W PSU's are fine for 6 x GPU's ?
3 GPU's on each power supply.

Am i missing something ?

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    What exactly is GPU port?

How are the PSUs joined together?

What type of risers are you using?
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Your problem might be the way you are distributing power with the 2 PSUs.

You should have the 1st (primary) psu powering all the motherboard stuff - motherboard, CPU, hard-drive (ssd would be better), ALL the riser's power - I mean the molex or sata power to all 6 risers and the 6/8 pin power to the first 3 GPUs, including the one in the x16 PCIE slot.

The second PSU should be used for JUST the 6/8 pin power to the second 3 GPUs. Definitely don't power risers or anything else with the second PSU - just the GPU 6/8 power outputs.

The second PSU can be made to run by shorting the green wired pin in the ATX plug to a black wired pin, then turning it on before you start the rig with the primary PSU.

If you use the second PSU for riser power and GPU power for the second 3 GPUs the riser connections are causing the two PSUs to fight each other over 12v regulation, so risers MUST ALL be powered by the 1st PSU.
  • JoopJoop Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2016
    adaseb said:

What exactly is GPU port?

How are the PSUs joined together?

What type of risers are you using?

With the ports i mean

The red ports are only for the GPU's
    When i have taken the PSU back to the shop they said
    that the red ports are faulty.

The risers that I'm using is

And I'm using

To connect the PSU's together.

edited September 2016
    newmz said:

You should have the 1st (primary) psu powering all the motherboard stuff - motherboard, CPU, hard-drive (ssd would be better), ALL the riser's power - I mean the molex or sata power to all 6 risers and the 6/8 pin power to the first 3 GPUs, including the one in the x16 PCIE slot.

The second PSU should be used for JUST the 6/8 pin power to the second 3 GPUs. Definitely don't power risers or anything else with the second PSU - just the GPU 6/8 power outputs.

The second PSU can be made to run by shorting the green wired pin in the ATX plug to a black wired pin, then turning it on before you start the rig with the primary PSU.

If you use the second PSU for riser power and GPU power for the second 3 GPUs the riser connections are causing the two PSUs to fight each other over 12v regulation, so risers MUST ALL be powered by the 1st PSU.

How i connected

1. PSU to the Motherboard stuff (CPU, HDD,)
    And to 3 x risers (Including the x16)
    3 x 6/8 pin power

2.PSU was connected to 3 x risers
    3 x 6/8 pin power

Is x 2 Toughpower GOLD 1000W PSU's good enough for
    six R9 290's ?

I starting to think it's not.

There has to be more R9 290 rigs guys around
    It would be good to know how much PSU they have
    and what setting if i needed to change.
    Post edited by Joop on
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Joop said:

newmz said:

How i connected

3 x 6/8 pin power

3 x 6/8 pin power

six R9 290's ?

Did you read my comment? You just stated that your second PSU was used for 3 GPUs and for 3 risers.

You MUST NOT use the 2nd GPU for the 3 risers! Use the 1st GPU for ALL 6 risers and the 2nd GPU for ONLY the 3x6/8 pin power.

I am running 1 rig 4 x 290s with 2 x 750w PSUs and another rig with 4 x 290s plus 1 x 380 on a 1000w & a 850W PSU. 2 x 1000W is enough. You fried the PSU because you had the risers connected to the 2nd PSU.
    edited September 2016
    newmz said:

Joop said:

newmz said:

How i connected

3 x 6/8 pin power

3 x 6/8 pin power

six R9 290's ?

Did you read my comment? You just stated that your second PSU was used for 3 GPUs and for 3 risers.

You MUST NOT use the 2nd GPU for the 3 risers! Use the 1st GPU for ALL 6 risers and the 2nd GPU for ONLY the 3x6/8 pin power.

I am running 1 rig 4 x 290s with 2 x 750w PSUs and another rig with 4 x 290s plus 1 x 380 on a 1000w & a 850W PSU. 2 x 1000W is enough. You fried the PSU because you had the risers connected to the 2nd PSU.
    YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!!

It doesn't matter which PSU powers which riser. The Riser +12V and the PCIe +12V don't ever mix. I've been doing this since the Litecoin days.

This would only be an issue if he was using those old uncut powered ribbon risers.

His issue is that those R9 290 at stock voltage and overclocked probably used around 350Watts per GPU. Running 350X3=1050Watt should be fine per PSU but the connector probably couldn't handle it.

He probably has a similar cable as this. And he connected probably over 300Watts thru that one connector, so 100Watts per wire and that's why it melted.

I had this happen with my Antminer S3's

• MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, if there would be a problem with the risers, he would have blown up the motherboard and all components. So its not that.

@op, Try to undervolt your cards, its pretty simple.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Yes adaseb is right.
    A 290 can consume even 370W in dual mining if configured incorrectly. So 3 of them can blow up a 1000W psu.
    Zorg33 said:

Yes adaseb is right.
    A 290 can consume even 370W in dual mining if configured incorrectly. So 3 of them can blow up a 1000W psu.

configured incorrectly ?

What should i try ?

It's running at

Core Voltage (mV) +0
    Power Limit (%) +0
    Core Clock (MHz) 1080
    Memory Clock (MHz) 1250
    Fan Speed (%) 85

And is there any way of knowing how much each PSU is using.

I found this program TechPowerUp GPU-Z.

I will post the results soon.

I'm hoping this will help.
    adaseb said:

newmz said:

Joop said:

newmz said:

How i connected

3 x 6/8 pin power

3 x 6/8 pin power

six R9 290's ?

YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!!

It doesn't matter which PSU powers which riser. The Riser +12V and the PCIe +12V don't ever mix. I've been doing this since the Litecoin days.

This would only be an issue if he was using those old uncut powered ribbon risers.

His issue is that those R9 290 at stock voltage and overclocked probably used around 350Watts per GPU. Running 350X3=1050Watt should be fine per PSU but the connector probably couldn't handle it.

He probably has a similar cable as this. And he connected probably over 300Watts thru that one connector, so 100Watts per wire and that's why it melted.

I had this happen with my Antminer S3's

Is their thicker GPU cables ?
    What are they called ?
    Buy a Kill-o-watt or use a current clamp and measure your AC current . You need to find out how much power your GPUs are using exactly.

Its not your Power Supply, its the red connector. It happens even on expensive Platinum type of power supplies, the connection is just not good.

Flash with Stilt Bios, and it will run at 29MH/s and use much much less power.

• mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    adaseb said:

newmz said:

Joop said:

newmz said:

How i connected

3 x 6/8 pin power

3 x 6/8 pin power

six R9 290's ?

YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!!

It is always safer to power the risers using the motherboard's PSU, so @newmz's suggestion is valid.

I think its safer NOT powering all the risers with the motherboards PSUs because you will overload the cables. How can one PSU power all 6 risers?

Only way is to use the SATA connectors and that leads to melting wires.

adaseb said:

I think its safer NOT powering all the risers with the motherboards PSUs because you will overload the cables. How can one PSU power all 6 risers?

A Corsair AX1200 power supply comes with plenty of 4-pin Molex connectors.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Running in circles... :D
  • MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2016
    adaseb said:

I disagree. I have 6x Sapphire Nitro and only 1 PSU.
    Powred risers are pluged on 3x molex and 3x sata (every riser on its own cable ofc).
    And the cables+conectors are not hot at all. Not even warm actualy.

That problem with the melting cables was with the first amd drivers for RX series. They fixed that somehow.

• YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    mmx said:

adaseb said:

newmz said:

Joop said:

newmz said:

How i connected

3 x 6/8 pin power

3 x 6/8 pin power

six R9 290's ?

YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!!

It is always safer to power the risers using the motherboard's PSU, so @newmz's suggestion is valid.
    This is the correct way in my view.
    MARETH2 said:

adaseb said:

Powred risers are pluged on 3x molex and 3x sata (every riser on its own cable ofc).

That problem with the melting cables was with the first amd drivers for RX series. They fixed that somehow.

That's because sapphire nitro's power phases come from the 8pin so the current is low. The won't be an issue with a single PSU and Nitro's unless you are a total idiot :)
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    newmz said:

Wow ok let me get this straight, I was thinking of going dual PSU for my next rig so I could have more molex strings for the risers, but you are saying I NEED to have all risers powered by 1 psu.. this goes against what the other topics/posts said i think though..

If this is the case, it's basically pointeless to go dual psu when I could get a 1000w gold rated psu for cheap, correct?

Edit: read through the thread and it seems theres some debate.. not sure how i want to go about a PSU for my next rx rig..
    Post edited by Truthchanter on

newmz said:

Wow ok let me get this straight, I was thinking of going dual PSU for my next rig so I could have more molex strings for the risers, but you are saying I NEED to have all risers powered by 1 psu.. this goes against what the other topics/posts said i think though..

If this is the case, it's basically pointeless to go dual psu when I could get a 1000w gold rated psu for cheap, correct?

Edit: read through the thread and it seems theres some debate.. not sure how i want to go about a PSU for my next rx rig..
    What will you be building ?
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    MARETH2 said:

adaseb said:

@MARETH2

Interesting...so with newer driver, cards are probably NOT getting 55W from the risers (as was indicated before). Nitro's have 8-pin, so they might have distributed power so 8-pin gets at least 125W or up to actual draw (maybe even full 150W) and the rest (if necessary) comes from the slot (or riser). It would actually make sense.

Do you know which driver fixed this? 16.7.3 or later hot fixes?

Re PSU-why mess around with 2 PSU when you can get used or new other EVGA 1300 for $120-150. This PSU is great.

newmz said:

When it comes to mining, don't go cheap on a power supply.

Other topics or posts you've read are by individuals applying "broscience" and do not seem to understand how the ATX specification(s) dictates power supply delivery & connectivity. Majority of miners here are basically reading and citing outdated BitcoinTalk forum threads from other clueless individuals.

If you're still not sure who to believe, read the ATX specifications yourself. Here are my explanations on the matter as a starting point. Feel free to read the entire thread I've linked to, and keep in mind no one has refuted my explanations without citing a factual source or document. Everyone who keeps claiming they have been "doing this since the Litecoin days" are full of shit.