Mining with an azure server NC24r with 4 - K80s

jrmonagasjrmonagas Member Posts: 4
Hello,
I have huge discounts on microsoft azure services. What do you guys think of mining with a NC24r VPS? It has 4 K80s on it.

Comments

• RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    If it's 70% or more discount, then you're profitable.

Azure K80s have 4992 CUDA cores, x 4 = 19968, div by 1920 (cores in GTX1070) = roughly 10.4 time the processing power of a GTX 1070, purely based on the number of CUDA cores, i.e. not taking into consideration the faster memory bandwidth of the K80s compared to the GTX series.

GTX1070 can put out 30MHs according to various posts, so your NC24r will do approximately 312MHs, and based on various calculators, that would generate around $1 per hour.

Some sites state the list price for an NC24r instance to be is $2.99, so your discount would need to be north of 70% to make sense.

You can research these numbers and redo the math to fine-tune your profitability analysis.

If you do decide to go the NC24r route, I would suggest dual mining your GPUs, mining more stuff using the CPUs (24 cores) and also renting out your storage space for Siacoin.

Other more experienced folks will certainly have more advice, but let us know what you end up doing.
  • jrmonagasjrmonagas Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the advice Rider.
    My problem is that I have prepaid about 2500$/month for the next 18 months for microsoft azure services.
    So anything I could do to get back some of that money would be worth.
    I will start setting up the machine tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • jrmonagasjrmonagas Member Posts: 4
    Just being curious.
    What would you say would be the most profitable usability for microsoft azure services?
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    jrmonagas said:

Just being curious.
    What would you say would be the most profitable usability for microsoft azure services?

Developing a Software as a Service application and then selling it to customers is the most profitable use I can think of. There are probably much smarter people than me who can do all kinds crazy data analytics things and make a squillion though :)
  • rnkhousernkhouse Member Posts: 3
    @jrmonagas : Can you see N-Series in your azure manage portal? I can't see it in mine.
  • ileydileyd Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    One must sign up for the N-series preview first at http://gpu.azure.com

Also consider, that when Azure says four K80s, I believe they actually mean two physical cards; see https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-n-series-preview-availability/ for details. As well, consider using the NC24 over the NC24r as the RDMA variant costs considerably more and will not improve mining performance.
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    K80 are pretty bad at ethash. Don't waste your time and money on them.
  • Jhonc66Jhonc66 Member Posts: 1
    Hi @jrmonagas ,

I have been wondering how a tesla k80 would perform in Azure using a software like Minergate where you can mine Ethereum among othe cryptocurrencies. how much Hs would you generate. Maybe you can try that and see how it performs. let me know how you did
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    Genoil said:

K80 are pretty bad at ethash. Don't waste your time and money on them.

what it can mine to cover its rental fees ?
    did u test it on ETH ? how much it gave u ?