Parasiting on other contracts

Is it possible to create a contract that relies on other contracts? Or (to paraphrase in a less general way) is it possible to extend functionality of a custom coin built on top of Ethereum by adding few bells and whistles?

PS: It would be cool to have such ability coz this would open a lot of new ways to cooperate via blockchain technology.

Best Answers

Answers

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    Contracts can communicate with other contracts via transactions.
    I might be pedantic, but i like clear terminology. They communicate with messages, the signed messages with nonce are called transactions.

And yes, what @robmyers said. For instance a contract might give a particular address full control. However, that address could be another contract that acts based on votes, so you can extend it that way. (I might call this 'a position' in to the contract)

Another is the 'asset', for instance i have a early basic unfinished half-assed publishing DAO(no derivatives finding stuff like here) code, and it uses contracts that return the article magnet links. The assets can be advertisements or articles, the contract is written such that the asset-contract decides when the magnet link can be removed. I.e. advertisments are forced to stay for a period by the contract. (the assets can cause anything from no rights to complete control when the ad may be removed)

DOUG sort-of names contracts in a cluster of contracts, and the contracts effectively call each other by contract. This allows all of the parts outside the DOUG to be changable, simply by changing what is in the name. The process that changes those parts can also be arbitrary.(i.e. votes, whatever)
  • vaXvaX Austin, TXMember Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Jasper said:

I might be pedantic

@jasper I for one, appreciate the per·snick·et·y programmer's emphatic regard for detail.
  • CfBCfB Member Posts: 29
    Can contract A use contract B if the latter doesn't want it (ignores any messages)? This is why I titled the question "Parasiting on other contracts".

An example:

Contract B is a simple trading bot that always places orders in such a manner that its bids and asks are executed in the first place. Contract A could place its own orders after contract B at "better" price for earlier execution.