United States - Denver, CO

KentKent Denver, COMember Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Meetups
Hi all. http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Denver/

Boulder has a group as well, however that one a.) is in Boulder, and b.) covers crypto-mining in general.

This Meetup is based in Denver, and focuses specifically on Ethereum - as well as related "Bitcoin 2.0" protocols and tools.

Our first meeting will be announced shortly. Any questions or ideas? Lemme know!
Post edited by Kent on

Comments

• KentKent Denver, COMember Posts: 13
    Our inaugural Meetup has been scheduled for May 13th. Sign up/RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Denver/events/180250902/

EtherScripter - Intro and Live Demo:

We're fortunate to have EtherScripter's creator - Tihan, a.k.a. mode80 - as part of our Meetup Group. If you've been hanging around the Ethereum forums, subreddit, and YouTube channels, you may have come across his project; it's an innovative GUI that gives you the power to build Ethereum contracts visually, in blocks, rather than coding in LLL or CLL.

Tihan will be demoing EtherScripter, explaining his thought process, and answering your questions about the platform. You can play around with EtherScripter here.

Hanging out:

What are you working on in the Ethereum space? What questions do you have? What would you like to learn? We've built plenty of time and flexibility into the schedule to share, network, chat, and chill.

About the venue:
    We'll be meeting at the Sidewinder Tavern - a kickass venue that's centrally located in Denver at I-25/I-70 and also convenient for anyone making their way down from Boulder. They offer your typical range of libations and pub grub. In the event you have an urge to play Asteroids, there is also an Atari.

Schedule for the night:

7:00-7:30: Welcome + Order Up Food and Drink

7:30-8:00: Intro to EtherScripter: Live Demo

8:15-8:30: Group Intros

8:30-whenever: Network/Hang Out

Any questions? Don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Cheers,

Kent

Our inaugural meetup went off swimmingly. Thanks to everyone who attended! You can find a recap of the proceedings here: http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Denver/messages/boards/thread/44184682
    Our second meetup is on Wednesday, June 11th. Sign up/RSVP here:
    http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Denver/events/186338702/

Thanks to everyone who came out for the first meetup - and welcome to our new members! Here's what's in store for our second gathering:

WTF: Decentralization, DAO'S, DAC's, and Dapps

The concept of a decentralized organization, corporation, and app has the potential to change the world - AND it's a natural fit with Ethereum. It's also a concept that's evolving every week, rife with buzzwords, and is lacking in clear, universal definitions. We'll strip away the hype and get to the meat and potatoes of what DAO's, etc., are all about, and how they'll be powered in the Ethereum ecosystem.

EtherScripter: Hands-on workshop

Several members mentioned that you'd like to have a hands-on workshop with EtherScripter - the GUI contract-building interface that was featured at our first meetup. Wish granted. Mode80, the platform's creator, will be leading us through contract construction using his intuitive GUI. Let's build some shit!

Hanging out:

What are you working on in the Ethereum space? What questions do you have? What would you like to learn? We've built plenty of time and flexibility into the schedule to share, network, chat, and chill.

Moving forward:

Our July meetup, during the second week of the month, will have a finance and trading theme.

About the venue:

Our home for Ethereum Denver is the Sidewinder Tavern - a kickass venue that's centrally located in Denver at I-25/I-70 and also convenient for anyone making their way down from Boulder. They offer your typical range of libations and pub grub.

Schedule for the night:

7:30-7:45: Group Intros

7:45-8:15: Decentralization, DAC's, DAO's, and Dapps

8:15-9:00: Hands-on workshop with EtherScripter

9:00-Whenever: hang out

Any questions? Don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Cheers,

Kent
    Hello Ethernauts -

We've pushed back our July meetup a few weeks due to scheduling issues, but are good to go for Tuesday the 22nd. Here's what's in store.

Goxxed: never again

Most of us are familiar with the concept of crypto exchanges. But as we all saw with Mt. Gox, the awesome and wonderful aspects of a decentralized blockchain can fly out the window when you have to trust your funds with a third party.

Ethereum offers an elegant way around this issue; thanks to its decentralized smart contracts, a third party isn't necessary to hold your funds.

Enter EtherEx

EtherEx is the first decentralized exchange built around Ethereum. The project will provide a platform and interface for trading assets, but without the user having to trust the exchange.

Phil from EtherEx will be talking about this innovative project and answering your questions. Whether you're into finance or development or anything in between, it should be quite interesting!

Hanging out:

About the venue:

Our home for Ethereum Denver is the Sidewinder Tavern - a kickass venue that's centrally located in Denver at I-25/I-70 and also convenient for anyone making their way down from Boulder. They offer your typical range of libations and pub grub.

Schedule for the night:

7:30-8:00: EtherEx

8:00-Whenever: hang out, summon cthulu, etc.
  • jamescarljamescarl Member Posts: 6
    Hey would you be willing to live stream this event on the 22nd I'd love to watch and maybe pipe in questions via twitter if possible I would use this kind of exchange heavily, and please let me know if there is anything I can do remotely to help you guys out. Peace & Love.
    Hey James - that's an awesome idea. A livestream might be hard to setup for this particular event, but I'll see what I can do. Alternatively, if you send in your questions I'd be happy to ask them for you at the event.
    Our August 26th meetup is ready to rock. RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Denver/events/201799252/

Much as been made about how blockchain tech has - and will - revolutionize the financial world. But in various corners of the crypto world, developers and thinkers are also contemplating how this technology will change the simple act of voting.

Ethereum, with its open-source smart contracts, is particularly well-suited for decentralized voting. Concerns over lack of transparency and vote-rigging evaporate when there's an easy way to verify that everything is legitimate and above-the-board.

Enter DOUG and Eris

A group called Project Douglas is spearheading decentralized voting in Ethereum. DOUG is a framework for building Decentralized Organizations (DO) and Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAO), while Eris is their "...serverless consensus building and community governance platform."

We'll take a closer look at these projects, dig into the evolving-before-our-very-eyes concept of a DAO, and also delve into some of the deeper political and social implications of decentralized voting.

Hanging out:

What are you working on in the Ethereum space? What questions do you have? What would you like to learn? We've built in plenty of time after the featured discussion to share, network, chat, and chill.

About the venue:

Our home for Ethereum Denver is the Sidewinder Tavern - a kickass venue that's centrally located in Denver at I-25/I-70 and also convenient for anyone making their way down from Boulder.

Schedule for the night:

7:30-8:15: DOUG, Eris, and DAO's

8:15-Whenever: hang out, summon cthulu, etc.

Any questions? Want to share or present something at the meetup? Drop me a line!

Kent