My next step in mining.

bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Mining
Hi everyone,

As you have probably noticed some of the advanced users left the forum (myself included). Too much noobs, noise and trolls.

In the meantime I was researching a potential alternative to Ethereum and how can I keep my cards busy.

I ended up joining the community of SHIFT. It's an Ethereum fork (first one).

Pros:
- It's waaay behind Ethereum in terms of blocks which means overclock R7 370 2GB will give you 19.5mhs, (small DAG file)
- direct communication with the dev team via slack,
- low price for dagger-hashimoto based coin = high risk/high reward,
- ability to adapt or copy any ethereum based DAPP
Cons:
- Anonymous dev team, (might aswell disappear tomorrow)
- not much volume and mainly traded via Bittrex,
- learning curve to the network,
- one wallet on bittrex holds 700k shift coins (he will be able to affect the price with big sell)

So what it exacly is except for a copy of ethereum?
Dev team built this thing called Phantom (currently alpha, decentralized internet, can be used as dapp frontends).
Once setup it will allow you to buy yourself a domain 'example.shift' and host your website(10mb). Website then will be copied across the network to all the hosts making it virtually impossible to take down.
Phantom network will be 'privacy secured' original method was Tor but lead developer wants to use another technology (I will leave up to him to disclose it)
(illegal use not encouraged, hosts and miners can have a takedown vote if a particular website will cause damage to the network)

Your contribution to the network is welcome one of the users built a search engine for the network,
another user made something like this:

This can be a perfect place for file sharing, news sharing, private email. Think torrents or wikileaks.

I probably missed some points I wanted to make but anyway, that is my two cents.

-------------------------------------------------

I do hold a significant amount of shift coins. I did not get paid for this (unfortunately :( )
This is not a trading advice simply an effect of my research. I'd like shift to have some more exposure and let's see what happens.

(personally I doubt we will see any more improvements on the Ethereum network due to fact the tech itself was most likely sold to the big companies already, DAO made extra money, ETC made extra money and there is not much motivation left for the dev team if you ask me)

bbcoin out ;) (if you join their slack you will see me there on a daily basis)

Their website:
http://www.shiftnrg.org/

**One more thing
dev team plans to launch a promotional game via Twitter (should start tomorrow) price is impossible to predict (especially in crypto) but once this goes around twitter it might be difficult to get shift at current level.
Post edited by bbcoin on

Comments

• SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hm interesting. Alright got a wallet and mining away at 120 Mh/s. I'll flip between this and ETH and see what happens.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    Thx to everyone who decided to support the network. 30% increase in hash rate is noticeable and makes it a safer network to operate :)
  • TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I think you single handedly caused that increase in hashrate!
    It's an interesting project for sure, so I jumped on board, after SAFE Coin, SIA, Storj, and others starting decentralized storage, decentralized web hosting seems to be a logical next step. Plus there's just something fun about mining 100+ coins per day, instead of 1/2 an ETH.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    this certainly does look interesting, my concern is the price though, are you doing this because you believe the price will rise at some point? Or because your supporting the actual project? Profitability wise its less then half of what ethereum is.
    <24 hours I almost have 200 coins.

Think I'll mine a day or two out of the week on Shift while going to back to dual mining Eth/Sia
    edited August 2016
    bctopics said:

this certainly does look interesting, my concern is the price though, are you doing this because you believe the price will rise at some point? Or because your supporting the actual project? Profitability wise its less then half of what ethereum is.

Both.

For example nothing really works on ethereum if you think about it. Dao is dead, slockit is dead. community moved on. Phantom/shift might be the first useful ethereum based project.

I do like the idea of decentralised hosting and as you guys can see I'm doing my bit to make it a reality. Also it's in alpha so talking about price before the actual release of the product is pointless.

Making money is one thing and it's great but boring. I mean making money for the sake of making money. Supporting a project to see it grow is better. And you can make money in the mean time :wink:
    bbcoin said:

bctopics said:

Both.

For example nothing really works on ethereum if you think about it. Dao is dead, slockit is dead. community moved on. Phantom/shift might be the first useful ethereum based project.

I do like the idea of decentralised hosting and as you guys can see I'm doing my bit to make it a reality. Also it's in alpha so talking about price before the actual release of the product is pointless.

Making money is one thing and it's great but boring. I mean making money for the sake of making money. Supporting a project to see it grow is better. And you can make money in the mean time :wink:
    Does this work with ethos/claymore? For some reason I keep getting json errors when trying to mine shift. Mine sharing what pool your mining on/stratum?
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    @sling00 is trying it on ethOS now , pool is http://shf.miners-zone.net/

Seems to work just fine.
    I would advise bitcause pool or 4miners.net
    They have 0% fee for a reason. We want to keep hash network spread out we don't want to see 51% pool on the network. Don't use shf.miners for now.
    edited August 2016
    Shiftchain.net you can check out all the pools here. It's unofficial explorer too.
    With claymore you need to use -allpools 1 -allcoins 1 option because miner will generate different dag for shift and ethereum.

I'm using dwarfs proxy and genoil 1.1.6
    bbcoin said:

I would advise bitcause pool or 4miners.net
    They have 0% fee for a reason. We want to keep hash network spread out we don't want to see 51% pool on the network. Don't use shf.miners for now.

I'll jump on 4miners.net once I get my rig running -__-
    kotarius said:

@sling00 is trying it on ethOS now , pool is http://shf.miners-zone.net/

Seems to work just fine.

Would this be considered something ok to talk about on your IRC channel? For some reason mine keeps getting json errors, then works fine with other normal eth pools.

• kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    @bctopics You can talk about any daggerhashimoto coin or eth-fork coin on our channel.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2016
    Can you use your eth address for this or do you need a separate one?
    oakey22 said:

Can you use your eth address for this or do you need a separate one?

seperate
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    I mined for a day on this in the hope that the twitter app was going to be something good. No offence but it was a disappointment. Back to Eth on the miners
  • armymanarmyman Member Posts: 23
    there is any GUI wallet for shift?
    oakey22 said:

I mined for a day on this in the hope that the twitter app was going to be something good. No offence but it was a disappointment. Back to Eth on the miners

yeah, I wasn't impressed either. Could have been done better.
  • nightdeploynightdeploy Member Posts: 14
    Any new info on this op ???
    They are getting attacked and are currently disabled on exchanges.

Not for you.
    SWDude26 said:

You could have saved it for yourself...
  • nightdeploynightdeploy Member Posts: 14
    bbcoin said:

Not for you.
    SWDude26 said:

Thanks for an answer anyway
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    what happened? I c nothing on this anywhere...and yes that game was lame.
  • Sequoia93Sequoia93 Member Posts: 130
    Yeah the bitcointalk forum isn't very informative. Sounds like a 51 attack?
    Looks like a potential HF or rollback situation....
    edited September 2016
    Sequoia93 said:

Yeah the bitcointalk forum isn't very informative. Sounds like a 51 attack?
    Looks like a potential HF or rollback situation....

boysie said:

what happened? I c nothing on this anywhere...and yes that game was lame.

That is right HF or Rollback. Dev team needs to make a decision on how to continue.

Also community would need around 6GHS to be safe because whoever is attacking has at his disposal farm the size of @kotarius .

BTW @kotarius please tell me it's not you man?

It really pisses me off. Because the attack was completly unnecesary it was the typical 'you can't pay me but I will break you just because I can' situation.

What's the point of hacking a community that can't give you any profit... Idiots.
  • Sequoia93Sequoia93 Member Posts: 130
    @bbcoin right though?

I hope it goes well. I'm putting a rig towards it right now.
    bbcoin said:

Not for you.
    SWDude26 said:

What do you mean save it for myself?

It's news that's going on with Shift, is it not?
    edited September 2016
    Maybe you should watch where you talk and how you talk about people:

On Shift Slack:

bbcoin [11:48 AM]
    someone registered a new account

[11:48]
    just to ask about news on shift

and then one of the noobs

went straight away

[11:49]
    'yeah they are getting attacked and disabled at exchanges;

omfg

people need more brains...

So much for good PR for Shift when you run your mouth.
    Then he immediately goes back to the Shift slack to post this:

edited September 2016
    Oh and now he doxxed me on the slack chat:

image removed

maverick69 removed the messages. Thanks.
  • TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    It sucks the SHIFT network is getting attacked, but the dev team is active and doing what they can. The network should be fine on the long run