Ethereum for beginners!

rodolforodolfo Chicago,ILMember Posts: 10
I read the white papers. I'm still in the pit and light hasn't breakthrough yet!
I'm coming from a non-technical background. I'm learning Python, C++...My understanding is that Ethereum is on its beta stage. Developers and non-developers are not speaking the same language. if we are not speaking the same language then how are we supposed to bring this amazing technology+application to the mainstream world? Where do we start, what guidance is out there to truly understand the inner-workings of Ethereum. Is it having a working knowledge of Finance, is it a working knowledge+ understanding of digital currencies, or technology?

Comments

• mimarobmimarob Member Posts: 33
    Been studying bitcoin for a number of years I have a fairly good understanding on the theoretical level, but I still lack some practicalities. I got the alethzero client up on the testnet but I don't seem to get myself up to actually using it.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @rodolfo‌ - if you are non-technical, then you have plenty of options. You could start a meetup in your local area, or suggest a project in http://forum.ethereum.org/categories/projects for example.

'Learning' ethereum has a very low barrier of entry. HTML and some python will do just fine. That said, the problem you are facing is that there aren't much documentation yet (something we are planning to develop over time). Post questions on this forum, join the IRC channel on Freenode #ethereum-dev, etc... plenty of help around.
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    (another go at ELI5)Its web pages with consensus.

Indicate the importance of consensus; The functioning of banking works on the principle that when you send money it is substracted from one account and added to another. I.e. the entire operation of our civilization depends on it.

Bitcoin succeeded to do that decentralizedly with no trust. Ethereum can do consensus much more generally. For instance, Facebook also creates a sort of consensus about who likes/knows who/what, of the domains names like ethereum.org are aswel. Corporations with stocks require consensus on what the divident and again 'amounts consensus'.