Do I need to buy the MSI Gaming X or the Gigabyte G1 (GTX1080)

PursePurse Member Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Mining
Im Going to buy new computer this week and i dont know what to choose to gain the most MH (Hash Rate i think) in Ethereum
The MSI Gaming X or the Gigabyte G1 ?
im new on that web and i dont know a lot information about Ethereum so plz help me.
thx

Comments

• BlazinBlazin Member Posts: 24
    Unless you're going to run Linux instead of Windows, the GTX 1080 is not a good choice for Ethereum mining. It's great for gaming on Windows, but that's about it.

The big question is whether your focus is gaming or mining. There are better graphics cards for mining. Most of them are not as good for gaming as the GTX 1080, but they mine much faster on Windows.

With that said, the Gigabyte version is faster than the MSI version. The Gigabyte model also has 3 fans, which will help it run cooler.
  • PursePurse Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2016
    Blazin said:

Unless you're going to run Linux instead of Windows, the GTX 1080 is not a good choice for Ethereum mining. It's great for gaming on Windows, but that's about it.

The big question is whether your focus is gaming or mining. There are better graphics cards for mining. Most of them are not as good for gaming as the GTX 1080, but they mine much faster on Windows.

With that said, the Gigabyte version is faster than the MSI version. The Gigabyte model also has 3 fans, which will help it run cooler.

thx for the response man. how much mh the G1 would do in the mining ?
    its is so sad that nvidia doesnt do anything about that.
    i have one more question. does the mining can do bad things to my 1080 if i would play and also do the mining?
    thanks again!!
    edited August 2016
    If you're lucky, the G1 might manage 5MH/s. A friend of mine has a similar version of the GTX 1080, and he can barely get 3MH/s. Mining is not a priority to graphics card manufacturers, so don't expect nVidia to fix it.

If you both mined and played games at the same time, nothing bad would happen. Your games would just run slowly. Just close the miner whenever you want to play games.

By the way, what resolution is the monitor you're going to use? If the resolution is low enough (i.e. 1080p or 1440p), a GTX 1080 might be complete overkill. I can think of a few cards that could save you money and mine faster. :)

Edit: If your monitor is something like 2560x1600 or even 4k, then you should probably stick with the G1.
    edited August 2016
    Blazin said:

If you're lucky, the G1 might manage 5MH/s. A friend of mine has a similar version of the GTX 1080, and he can barely get 3MH/s. Mining is not a priority to graphics card manufacturers, so don't expect nVidia to fix it.

If you both mined and played games at the same time, nothing bad would happen. Your games would just run slowly. Just close the miner whenever you want to play games.

By the way, what resolution is the monitor you're going to use? If the resolution is low enough (i.e. 1080p or 1440p), a GTX 1080 might be complete overkill. I can think of a few cards that could save you money and mine faster. :)

Edit: If your monitor is something like 2560x1600 or even 4k, then you should probably stick with the G1.

its so sad that my friend has rx 480 and he is more than 25 mh and GTX1080 would do only 5 MH. i thought that my 1080 would do 24~ but 5 MH?!! ugh :'( .
    Now I have 2 options. wait for the rx490, or buy the 1080 and maybe even forget from the mining,
    Currently now im using 1440p, but im going to work next year and buy a new monitor.
    In some case i saw that in CRYPTO MINING BLOG he now supports all the 10xx of nvidia here
    Do u have some good news to give me or maybe some tips ?
    thx again :(
    edit - what is that https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7521/gtx-1070-1080-mining
    how did he got 10 mh? and the big update in July ? i didnt understand.
    whoa i found that https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/2227/cuda-miner/p64
    how did kps did it ? can i do it too ? some good news ?
    Post edited by Purse on
    edited August 2016
    So, I have good news and bad news.

The RX 490 would probably mine faster than the 1080. You might have a long wait before it comes out. Plus, Ethereum's mining stage will probably be over if the card doesn't come out until next year.

You are right about Claymore's miner supporting all the 10xx cards now. There is also a modified driver available for Windows 7 that will probably help those cards to mine faster. Kps managed to do something similar, but it only works on Windows versions 7 to maybe 8.1. It's too bad they haven't done anything like that for Windows 10. (I'm assuming that you run Windows 10)

The guy who was pulling 10MH was actually using two 1080s pulling 5MH each. Someone in the same thread mentioned a big update, but there wasn't really an update that could help your situation.

I do have some good news for you though! The GTX 1080 is absolutely terrible at Ethereum mining (on Windows at least), but it is actually very good at mining with the Lyra2rev2 algorithm. Your GTX 1080 could pull about 45MH on it. NiceHash is currently paying the equivalent of almost $80 a month for that kind of speed on Lyra2rev2. NiceHash's miner pays in Bitcoins, but you can easily exchange that for Ethereum afterwards. It's a bit of a compromise, but it might just work in your case. :)
    Blazin said:

So, I have good news and bad news.

The RX 490 would probably mine faster than the 1080. You might have a long wait before it comes out. Plus, Ethereum's mining stage will probably be over if the card doesn't come out until next year.

You are right about Claymore's miner supporting all the 10xx cards now. There is also a modified driver available for Windows 7 that will probably help those cards to mine faster. Kps managed to do something similar, but it only works on Windows versions 7 to maybe 8.1. It's too bad they haven't done anything like that for Windows 10. (I'm assuming that you run Windows 10)

The guy who was pulling 10MH was actually using two 1080s pulling 5MH each. Someone in the same thread mentioned a big update, but there wasn't really an update that could help your situation.

I do have some good news for you though! The GTX 1080 is absolutely terrible at Ethereum mining (on Windows at least), but it is actually very good at mining with the Lyra2rev2 algorithm. Your GTX 1080 could pull about 45MH on it. NiceHash is currently paying the equivalent of almost $80 a month for that kind of speed on Lyra2rev2. NiceHash's miner pays in Bitcoins, but you can easily exchange that for Ethereum afterwards. It's a bit of a compromise, but it might just work in your case. :)

thanks for your great help, you are awesome!!
    I talked with my dad about that and I would buy the RX490 instead the GTX1080 becuase of his hbm2 :)
    amd has very nice support support.
    have a very nice day, thx!!
    :smile::blush::wink:
    No problem! I'm glad I was able to help! :)