RX 480 Non-Reference Custom Rom Nitro, Gaming, Red Devil, etc...

SunyataSunyata Member Posts: 35
Hello all,

I've been digging through this forum quite a bit. The work on the reference custom rom is great, good job guys!

I've found some mention to non-reference RX 480 custom bios, but it's scattered throughout the reference thread so I figured I'd make a post.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance mess with the Nitro, Red Devil, MSI Gaming X, etc... If so how has it turned out/how is it going?

Comments

• MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    I'm also interested in costum bios for RX480 Sapphire Nitro 4gb card.

I'm getting few of those in the next week and I would like to know how far can it go in MH/s.

• pkanpkan Member Posts: 22
    I'm also interested in a custom rom or even just decent settings for the rx480 sapphire nitro 8gb.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I need a custom rom for the PowerColor RX480 8GB Red Devil - I made another thread a few days ago about this, but didn't get much feedback. I'm sure many people here will be using this card due to its superior cooling and 8 pin power plug
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    i will be compiling a list of rom soon
  • BlazinBlazin Member Posts: 24
    @cscheat, glad to hear you're putting a list together! I hope a modified bios for non-reference XFX cards shows up on there. Is that a possibility?
    Is nobody here on the forums using a non-reference PowerColor 480 Red Devil??
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    @hasher still trying to make a decent rom.. dont the time to work on it every day, but i'll get there
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    @hasher I don't think we will see a custom BIOS for non-reference cards unless @boysie or someone new to the scene creates one....or someone pays the big players for it...

With all the free ROMs flying around of late, I'm sure those who would normally release the same ROMs as paid or farm owners who would pay for exclusive access are losing money and I have a feeling the free roms will start to dry up soon...I hope I'm wrong, but it has been quiet of late regarding any BIOS updates for cards other than reference cards.

I guess we shall see how the rx 470 25mhs rom is released, which will most likely set the tone for future BIOS updates...again I hope I'm wrong
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    hasher said:

I'm working on a ROM for mine. Will share once it's a bit more stable.
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    bctopics said:

hasher said:

I'm working on a ROM for mine. Will share once it's a bit more stable.
    thank you
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @thesmokingman thing is... with Polaris BIOS Editor it's rather straightforward to do the edits.
    There's certainly room for a published tweaked ROM, but it's not like with past gen cards where timing mods required directly editing the Hex and were too intimidating for most.

timing tweaks from other cards with the same size/brand VRAM are easily adapted, no more than a 5-10min task for someone with experience.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭

@thesmokingman thing is... with Polaris BIOS Editor it's rather straightforward to do the edits.
    There's certainly room for a published tweaked ROM, but it's not like with past gen cards where timing mods required directly editing the Hex and were too intimidating for most.

timing tweaks from other cards with the same size/brand VRAM are easily adapted, no more than a 5-10min task for someone with experience.

@Logicaluser - thanks for the information. I think the key point of your post is "someone with experience.". If those who have been doing this will no longer do it, and no one else with experience steps in, then the tools might as well be useless except for the few who know how to use them. I'm not for hand holding, especially when I spend a considerable amount of time learning a technology, but lighting a candle in the dark is always appreciated and still allows one to not give away trade secrets.
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @thesmokingman Frankly, the most difficult part for Polaris cards is bypassing the AMD signature check/getting windows to load the modded driver file properly.
    some of the tweaked bioses being posted literally just involve copy & pasting say... the 1500 timings into the 1625, 1750 and 2000 mhz boxes, (Hynix 4GB cards) using the GUI editor I mentioned. https://github.com/caa82437/PolarisBiosEditor

I intend to post BIOSes for the cards I have, I've just been somewhat busy with other rigs.
    I have the experience needed to do timing mods via the hex as well, if nobody else steps up to post one for these non-ref cards I can produce one, I just cannot test it.

I spent yesterday hex editing & testing BIOSes for Tonga cards, pushed my 380s up to +23mh each.

My ASUS 4GB 470 rig seems stable, 26.3mh each at 1060/1870 at 950mV for both core & memory controller. Power draw is 530w at the wall, BIOS made using the 1500 timings as described above.
    @bctopics thank you very much!
    @bctopics thank you very much!
  • ceddycakesceddycakes Member Posts: 70
    Looking for custom bios for MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming X. Would love to hash more and use less power. They're so quite and cool.
  • GelbinGelbin Member Posts: 17
    So what is the top card from this list for max hash rate after somme changes ? What you guys thinking about?
  • kilidkilid Member Posts: 13
    @Sunyata what hashrate you are getting with red devil rx 480 ?

is it better that normal rx 480 specially the red devil which is over clocked 1330 MH

thanks