Comments

• dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    yeah i'm quite pleased
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    dephcon said:

yeah i'm quite pleased

you GPU is 4GB?
    like I said, there's only the one reference design card on the market, sapphire 470 4gb oc
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    dephcon said:

@Zorg33 Thanks for all the breadcrumbs, got my 470 "ref" doing 27.9-28.5MH/s while dual mining. Going to start stepping down the voltage.

No idea how much power it's using, I bumped the power limit to 120W... need to retrieve my power meter from my off-site 480 rig.

Im happy that you succeeded:)
    GPU-Z shows ~75W for eth only, I did not try dual mode yet.
  • charles2kcharles2k Member Posts: 22
    dephcon said:

@nhando there's only one 470 with a reference cooler on the market. I just extracted the stock rom from the card and used a hodgepodge of all the setting posted. running 1200mhz/925mv core and 2100mhz/940mem using the timings from the 1500mhz strap. i also boosted to power limit to 120.

i'm using -drci 20 for sia difficulty and my sia hashrate is exactly my ETH hashrate with an extra zero... so 28.12MH ETH = 281.2MH SIA. if i use drci 22 my eth drops by about 0.6MH and i gain ~8% sia

It looks good.
    Could you post here all changed settings? Power consumption from the wall?
  • lukeonlukeon Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2016
    Can someone summup best settings for RX 470 4GB Nitro+ OC ( 11256-01-20G)?
    What I can see it's:
    1. Driver: 16.8.2
    2. 1500 strap timings to 1625, 1750 and 2000 in Polaris

and then these options:

1. 1200mhz/925mv core and 2100mhz/940mem (in Wattmann ? ) > ~ 28 MH/s at ~75 W?
    2. Core : 1000Mhz/818mv (half my cards are stable 1000/800 but stick to 818 to be safe)
    Mem : 1850Mhz/850mv (some may do better but this speed is generally safe) > 26 Mh/s @ 70W (GPU-Z reported)

To reproduce:

1. Bios backup AtiWinFlash
    2. Edit in polaris
    3. Flash bios AtiWinFlash
    4. Reboot in safe mode

and then

5. PATCH drivers - how to do this in win7/win8.1/win10?

Can someone write what to do exactly after flashing and rebooting (in this thread they write that I need to override driver https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9090/rx480-reference-custom-rom-31-mh/p11)?
    Post edited by lukeon on
  • c2n14c2n14 Member Posts: 22
    dephcon said:

... running 1200mhz/925mv core and 2100mhz/940mem using the timings from the 1500mhz strap.

1. What's the the ASIC of your card?
    2. You have lowered the Vcore below the mem voltage - so is it possible to do this in BIOS?
    Because, normally, when you're using Wattman in reality you cannot have lower Vcore than the mem voltage - in GPU-z you will see the Vcore being the same as the mem volts...

• zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    Can somebody give me the stock bios of RX 470 Nitro 4GB?

Thanks!
    edited August 2016
    zorvalth said:

Can somebody give me the stock bios of RX 470 Nitro 4GB?

This is saphire rx 470 Nitro + OC 4GB rom exported from GPU-Z
    https://mega.nz/#!8s0S0IiS!eRqwk_JVXwAUqJHbebuCMgey2u2a8cT-UCxMYqey-hU

• zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    c2n14 said:

dephcon said:

... running 1200mhz/925mv core and 2100mhz/940mem using the timings from the 1500mhz strap.

1. What's the the ASIC of your card?
    2. You have lowered the Vcore below the mem voltage - so is it possible to do this in BIOS?
    Because, normally, when you're using Wattman in reality you cannot have lower Vcore than the mem voltage - in GPU-z you will see the Vcore being the same as the mem volts...

76%, it's the worst of the 4 cards I have. i can't really verify if the voltage setting are working, i'm using linux and have no idea how to see the live temp/watt/clock info
  • c2n14c2n14 Member Posts: 22
    @dephcon

Thanks! 76% ASIC is nice from what I know :)
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    I stuck on point with loading drivers in device manager on win 7 64. I always get ! with code 43 error, seem unbraekable, to get properly working driver with mod bios :{
  • h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    ftoz said:

I stuck on point with loading drivers in device manager on win 7 64. I always get ! with code 43 error, seem unbraekable, to get properly working driver with mod bios :{

This is because of driver signing. If you change your BIOS, you card will show this error code. You will have a display, but you won't be able to test mining and such. There's a fix for that though, someone else should be able to point your to it. I haven't applied it myself yet.
    h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

This is because of driver signing. If you change your BIOS, you card will show this error code. You will have a display, but you won't be able to test mining and such. There's a fix for that though, someone else should be able to point your to it. I haven't applied it myself yet.
    Can anyone write what steps do after flashing bios and rebooting? How to override driver properly in win7, win8.1, win10?
    @RavinderDhillon, @dephcon, @Marvell9, @zorg33?

• h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2016
    Zorg33 said:

As far as I got searching after adjusting MVDDC, we are unable to set it, because it most likely controlled by a separate IC, no? Only hardmod....

So what would be our goal with that powerplay offset? I dont get it exactly.
    To have automatically adjusted voltage but lowered with a negative offset?
    That would be good for gamers, but not for miners.
    We use the cards 24/7 on top DPM state with fixed clocks/voltages. It does not matter how efficient the card is under partial load.

So what is the point?

The point of hardcoding that offset is the following, I'm quoting Heliox from another thread:
    Heliox said:

Modifying voltages in a gui environment, or better yet, chaning the dpm values is totally not the same as adding offset to the rom.

If you add offset to the rom you can give the controller the command of starting to calculate every dpm by -100mV for example.

Again, i keep mentioning this everywhere.

There is no way to lower memory voltage. Not in a GUI(polarisbiodeditor) and not in the rom.

So by changing that in PolarisBiosEditor you change the voltage given to the controller "AUX/VDDCI" NOT MVDDC!
    So, it just has no effect on power usage, thus your power usage will not go down.

• RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

Can anyone write what steps do after flashing bios and rebooting? How to override driver properly in win7, win8.1, win10?

Step 1 : Download the modded AMD Driver file here
    Step 2 : Download the NGOHQ driver signing tool here
    Step 3 : Do the following to enable Windows Test Mode-
    WindowsKey + X -> Command prompt (Admin mode)
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    Step 4 : Use the NGOHQ tool and select test mode, then restart pc. Now run the tool again and sign the modded driver file that you downloaded above (this has to be done on the pc that you will be using it on).
    Step 5 : Hold Shift and click on power to restart in safe mode (look it up). In safe mode, replace the original in system32/drivers with the modded file
    Step 6 : Reboot into windows normally and now drivers will recognize any modded bios
    edited August 2016
    I would suggest that anyone looking to do custom BIOS just use ubuntu for their mining rigs. I use a win10/ubuntu dual boot machine to bios-mod/flash and test, then i move them over to my ubuntu rigs
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82

lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

Step 4 : Use the NGOHQ tool and select test mode, then restart pc. Now run the tool again and sign the modded driver file that you downloaded above (this has to be done on the pc that you will be using it on).
    Step 5 : Hold Shift and click on power to restart in safe mode (look it up). In safe mode, replace the original in system32/drivers with the modded file
    Step 6 : Reboot into windows normally and now drivers will recognize any modded bios
    This is only for Windows 7 right? Windows 10 we can't get pass the signature thing so every time we do a reboot we have to do the shift restart and choose option 7??
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Works in win10 for me without having to use the special option 7 startup
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    nhando said:

lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

This is only for Windows 7 right? Windows 10 we can't get pass the signature thing so every time we do a reboot we have to do the shift restart and choose option 7??
    Works on Windows 10 like a charm (atleast for me), ive done this on all 5 on my machines without a hiccup. Shoutout to @boysie for nudging me in this direction.
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    can someone share original lordkag atikmdag.sys? Web cant send me mail. thx
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

nhando said:

lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

Works on Windows 10 like a charm (atleast for me), ive done this on all 5 on my machines without a hiccup. Shoutout to @boysie for nudging me in this direction.
    its actually not working in win7 for me... worked in win10 but i dont know whats wrong or different in win7
    This is awesome news if it works. Going to test it out tonight. This will solve my biggest concern with the ROM! At ftoz, PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.
  • sakuleosakuleo Member Posts: 10
    Some one prove the 470 red devil 4gb?
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @Zorg33 @h311m4n Hit it on the head precisely. I have tried to do this on my 390's but if you have tried like me, you would know that Most of the 390's don't have values for the offset when you look for them in hex editor. (once you get the objectvoltage...from atomicbios, under data tables it should give you a combination of letters and numbers. Open Hex editor, under search tab, goto, and type those values there. It will take you to to where the values are if they exist. They don't exist in the 390. You can add them in but you will need to know what you are doing. Something about adding it all up and having the correct check sum. I have heard that the 470 and 480 are very similar to the Nanos which the values can easily be found and modded. I can't confirm nor deny it since I don't own any 470, I own a few 480's and I am content with their current settings, no need to hard mod. Great work everyone!
    So far who have the best setting for the following while still being stable. We should compare settings and results from different people n card brands

1) Highest Hash for Eth only
    2) Highest Hash for Dual mining
    3) Most efficient setting for 26+ Eth only settings.

• hellmouthhellmouth Member Posts: 4
    hi,
    Does anyone have the best setting for a sapphire rx 470 nitro oc ?
  • OakheartOakheart Member Posts: 10
    @dephcon Thanks for the 470 settings! My rig of 4 Reference Sapphire 470s is now dual mining Eth at 29MH/s and Sia at 219 MH/s with -dcri 15. The rig is pulling 840 watts at the wall using a Bronze PSU.

Now it is time to find something more power efficient.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Oakheart said:

@dephcon Thanks for the 470 settings! My rig of 4 Reference Sapphire 470s is now dual mining Eth at 29MH/s and Sia at 219 MH/s with -dcri 15. The rig is pulling 840 watts at the wall using a Bronze PSU.

Now it is time to find something more power efficient.

what cards do you have? reference or some other model? who's BIOS did you use?