Boyise's RX480 (REF) BIOS V2 - DUAL Mining

Comments

• mikeminermikeminer Member Posts: 38
    EfterlysT said:

Just started to flash my cards, all reference 8Gb
    I have one card in a rig now flashed with the 31.25 bios.

I have followed:
    1) this is my personal step...remove all cards but 1
    2) boot into windows
    3) reset card in wattman and reboot
    4) flash card with desired rom, load up atiwinflash with admin
    5) click save, and backup your current ROM
    6) close the pop up once done
    7) Click load and select new BIOS
    8) click program
    9) wait...screen will hang for about 30-40 secs dont panic.
    10) on confirmation box close
    11) close app
    12) in device manager right click g-card and uninstall. don't tick.
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    16) hit 4 on option screen
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

But i end up like this:
    http://i63.tinypic.com/30ker8n.jpg

I was running the 16.7.2 driver before starting the guide.
    I am running Win 10.
    Anyone know what i am doing wrong ?

You disable the cards and Boot into safe mode and sign the atikmdag.sys file again. After signed, check again at device manager and make sure it stay disable.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    bro please show the steps on windows from scratch
    can this work at win7 64 with 16.8.1 drivers ?
    this is the 8th hour trying to raise the MH but noway
    max i reached 24 MH/s with sapphire Rx 480 8GB :(
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

I have followed:
    2) boot into windows
    8) click program
    11) close app
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

But i end up like this:

I am running Win 10.

You disable the cards and Boot into safe mode and sign the atikmdag.sys file again. After signed, check again at device manager and make sure it stay disable.
    With sign the sys file you mean replacing it with the modified one ?
    edited August 2016
    I have been messing around with this for hours now.
    I start thinking that i am using the wrong driver ? I am running 16.7.2

Is this driver forcing the signature check ?
    If so, what driver should i use ?
    EfterlysT said:

I have been messing around with this for hours now.
    I start thinking that i am using the wrong driver ? I am running 16.7.2

Is this driver forcing the signature check ?
    If so, what driver should i use ?

You should try 16.8.2. I got into problem when I was on 16.7.2 also
    EfterlysT said:

mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

I have followed:
    2) boot into windows
    8) click program
    11) close app
    13) reboot
    19) select option 7

But i end up like this:

I am running Win 10.

You should replace the modified one and use dseo13b.exe to sign it. Had to signed it everytime you flash a card or add new card to your system
    mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

I have followed:
    2) boot into windows
    8) click program
    11) close app
    13) reboot
    19) select option 7

But i end up like this:

I am running Win 10.

You should replace the modified one and use dseo13b.exe to sign it. Had to signed it everytime you flash a card or add new card to your system
    Ok, just downloaded the signing software.
    Giving up on 16.7.2 now because i cant get it to work.

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

I have followed:
    2) boot into windows
    8) click program
    11) close app
    13) reboot
    19) select option 7

But i end up like this:

I am running Win 10.

there is no need for safe mode. once you have the cards disabled you can replace the file, just re-enabled them again...no need to even reboot.

Boysie
    mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

mikeminer said:

EfterlysT said:

I have followed:
    2) boot into windows
    8) click program
    11) close app
    13) reboot
    19) select option 7

But i end up like this:

I am running Win 10.

no need to re sign it, just replace it again in drivers folder. obviously keep a copy of it after you sign it an djsut replace when needed. like you say when you add a new card or even flash a card from sapphire to xfx...it sees it as a new card.

Boysie
    btw I'm using 16.8.2 with out any issues. you should prob just upgrade to that and the mod file...works fine for me.
    I have been swearing the whole day now, my wife was worried there for a while.. lol
    But finally got it to work.

With the 16.8.2 driver the heaven opened and shit started to work right away.

I flashed the cards, rebooted in safe mode to put the modded sys file in place. Rebooted again with signature checks disabled and boom done.. No disabling or nothing.
    @EfterlysT well done...lets hope you now can settle back and mine some with little effort.
    boysie said:

@EfterlysT well done...lets hope you now can settle back and mine some with little effort.

Thanks man.
    And thanks for sharing your bios :)
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Anyone safetly flashed this ROM into XFX RX470 4gb version??
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I just flashed a 480 for the first time. I used the 31.5 rom and im only getting 27.5mhs w/ dci at 22. Any idea?
    edited August 2016

I just flashed a 480 for the first time. I used the 31.5 rom and im only getting 27.5mhs w/ dci at 22. Any idea?

also getting 230-235w at the wall with just 1 card

do i have to reinstall the video driver after flashing?
    edited August 2016

If you reinstall the video driver it will make you replace the file again as it will put back the official one.

after you flash and have rebooted go into wattman and hit reset.

then set the mem power to the optional value, default is always 1000...pain I know. Change to manual and set value.

look for what I used on mine and set that if it fails, it will reboot with 1000 again ..try that and adjust down until you have some thing that works...1000 tends to use to much power and cause extra heat.

Boysie
    boysie said:

If you reinstall the video driver it will make you replace the file again as it will put back the official one.

after you flash and have rebooted go into wattman and hit reset.

then set the mem power to the optional value, default is always 1000...pain I know. Change to manual and set value.

look for what I used on mine and set that if it fails, it will reboot with 1000 again ..try that and adjust down until you have some thing that works...1000 tends to use to much power and cause extra heat.

Boysie
    Hey thanks. I first tried your 31.5 rom (which has 2275 as the minimum ram) and was only getting 27-28mhs ( i didn't try eth only though). Actually that was at dcri 30 and when i brought it down to 22 it lowered the mhs too!? It was consuming tons of watts too, the lowest mem voltage i could do was 1000 (or 975 may have been stable i can't remember). However it seemed the core voltage couldn't go any lower than this high mem voltage.

I'm trying Heliox's original 480 modded bios and having more luck. I'm able to put the mem at 2125 and keep the mem voltage at 900 and core voltage at 900 (haven't tried lower yet. Getting 28mhs dual mining dcri 30. 420+ sia and much lower watts at the wall than the first modded bios.

I might try your low power one next but i don't know if I need to.. what is different about your mods and @Heliox ? Also I have always used power limit at 0%, is it worth using more or less?
    Also, what is the point of having dcri at 22 instead of 30 or 40-46?
  • duurrrrduurrrr Member Posts: 27

I had the same problem with my cards. I ended up going with the 30.8 bios that boysia posted. I think he removed it now. That bios has been running for a week or so for me with no problems. I get around 30.5 with all of my cards with it. There are like 1 or 2 that I am only getting around 29.5.

@
    duurrrr said:

I had the same problem with my cards. I ended up going with the 30.8 bios that boysia posted. I think he removed it now. That bios has been running for a week or so for me with no problems. I get around 30.5 with all of my cards with it. There are like 1 or 2 that I am only getting around 29.5.

not removed any thing...

Also, what is the point of having dcri at 22 instead of 30 or 40-46?

I read some where about a week ago someone had said the diff between dcri 30 to 22 was 16% more shares...and that worked out to be the better option...each to their own.
    I have some problems after getting it to run.
    My two identical rigs with 4x480 8Gb with the 31.25 bioses start up good @ 31.5Mhs on each gpu. But after a few minutes one or two gpus goes to 0 and then the graphics driver crashes making the rig reboot. Same symptom on both rigs. So tired now so i shut them down during the night.

I tried several versions of the claymore miner with ni luck. Also added more ram and tried to increase/decrease voltage for the gpus. Nothing seem to help, I seem stuck..

Anyone else have had similar problems ? Right now it seem like i have to reflash my gpus tomorrow again
  • BlazinBlazin Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2016
    @boysie, are all of the usual BIOS modifications for RX 480 cards possible through the Polaris BIOS editor? If so, do you think I would be able to modify the BIOS from my non-ref XFX card? Aside from higher clocks, everything is pretty much the same as the reference BIOS.
    Post edited by Blazin on
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited August 2016

Hey thanks. I first tried your 31.5 rom (which has 2275 as the minimum ram) and was only getting 27-28mhs ( i didn't try eth only though). Actually that was at dcri 30 and when i brought it down to 22 it lowered the mhs too!? It was consuming tons of watts too, the lowest mem voltage i could do was 1000 (or 975 may have been stable i can't remember). However it seemed the core voltage couldn't go any lower than this high mem voltage.

I'm trying Heliox's original 480 modded bios and having more luck. I'm able to put the mem at 2125 and keep the mem voltage at 900 and core voltage at 900 (haven't tried lower yet. Getting 28mhs dual mining dcri 30. 420+ sia and much lower watts at the wall than the first modded bios.

I might try your low power one next but i don't know if I need to.. what is different about your mods and @Heliox ? Also I have always used power limit at 0%, is it worth using more or less?

The difference.

I do it like this:

And almost eveyrone else does it like this

It's like @Wolf0 always says "We do it by "paw"" :tongue:
    Post edited by Heliox on
    EfterlysT said:

I have some problems after getting it to run.
    My two identical rigs with 4x480 8Gb with the 31.25 bioses start up good @ 31.5Mhs on each gpu. But after a few minutes one or two gpus goes to 0 and then the graphics driver crashes making the rig reboot. Same symptom on both rigs. So tired now so i shut them down during the night.

I tried several versions of the claymore miner with ni luck. Also added more ram and tried to increase/decrease voltage for the gpus. Nothing seem to help, I seem stuck..

Anyone else have had similar problems ? Right now it seem like i have to reflash my gpus tomorrow again

that's mem power too low...up it 5 or 10
  • winiuwiniu Member Posts: 1
    RX480 - XFX - Refer
    After upload bios:
    WIN-RX480-31.5-Boysie-v2.rom
    or:
    WIN-RX480-31.25-Boysie-v2.rom

speed is
    ~31.5 - Solo ETH
    ~31.05 / ~465 - ETH / SIA

and thats best results on this cards wchich i have :)

BUT...
    After windows start Clay wok ok with this results (tested max 3h) but when i close Claymore (software)
    i have DRIVERS STOP ANSWER or crash on screen or blue screen, evry time.
    Only after reset its works ok.

On other BIOS org or moded i and on the same cards i dont have this prroblem.

I try drivers: 16.7.3 and 16.8.2 and the same...

Any idea ?
    I think some one said on another thread blue screen is core, black screen or driver crash is mem.

Remember to use reset in wattman.

Boysie
  • idanfeiidanfei Member Posts: 3
    boysie - can you create the rom also for the Sapphire 480 RX Nitro 8GB Nitro ? Or just explain what tools should i play with ?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    idanfei said:

boysie - can you create the rom also for the Sapphire 480 RX Nitro 8GB Nitro ? Or just explain what tools should i play with ?

It's just copy and paste in Polaris BIOS Editor.