The difficulty growth in the last 5 days was just nuts....

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
A few days ago the combined difficulty was around 73T and now its 79T.

Nuts....

Comments

• ceddycakesceddycakes Member Posts: 70
    Can I ask what you're looking at? Etherscan shows 67...
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    etherscan shows with 24h delay.look at ethstats for more accurate atm results.Indeed difficulty jumped a lot and im asking myself the same question whats goin on
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    you have normal growth + even more people coming on with the RX cards plus ETC price was sinking, so no surprise.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-network-hashrate-chart
    http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-classic-network-hashrate-chart

ETC chart hasn't updated in a bit it looks like, but it has been relatively flat (around 650GH/s right now).

Recent climb in Eth chart just looks like RX 4series cards coming online.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    work said:

http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-network-hashrate-chart
    http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-classic-network-hashrate-chart

ETC chart hasn't updated in a bit it looks like, but it has been relatively flat (around 650GH/s right now).

Recent climb in Eth chart just looks like RX 4series cards coming online.

well summer is over too so the older gpus which were too hot to run in summer heat can come back online as well as the new more efficent models
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @Marvell9 true that. In some places, pretty soon it'll be worthwhile to mine just for the heat =).
  • OakheartOakheart Member Posts: 10
    I hope the price of eth starts going up. If the mining difficulty doubles to 150T at the current price, miners that pay .18c+/kwh will barely break even or lose money on electricity.
  • glenn_txglenn_tx Member Posts: 67
    Just spiked up another big jump...

• SWDude26SWDude26 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Ugh just got into mining last week. breaking my balls people. lol

Good thing I'm moving the rig to work for free electricity!
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    its climing down now . dunno whats going on lol 67.17 atm and still going lower
    cviper said:

its climing down now . dunno whats going on lol 67.17 atm and still going lower

probably another coin getting hot, check nicehash, either way its only temorpary
    I dropped becase 7950 and lower cards are now crap for mining eth with the latest Epoch
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    With 7950, you need to undervolt to like 0.9V and underclock to like 900MHz and dual mine. And the effective hashrate will be close to 20mh/s again if you sell your SIA and buy ETH

Same power as before.
    @adaseb I don't know something with the latest DAG all my 7900 series cards are hashing at half previous speed, double check you cards
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

@adaseb I don't know something with the latest DAG all my 7900 series cards are hashing at half previous speed, double check you cards

Only 0.10MH/s slower
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Marvell9 Has to be something on your end config wise, my 7900/280s are all still in the 17.25mh to 18.5mh range depending on memory type & clocks.
    @Logicaluser hmm strange idk then I guess two cards both throttling to 50%
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @marvell what OS/driver version? claymore? RAM amount? ~50% sounds like it's a config issue rather than actual throttling
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Damn all those new RX cards! And I wish all those people you see in the forum asking "new to mining" questions would realize that IT'S TOO LATE TO GET INTO MINING NOW and by starting now they are just making it harder for the rest of us who have already been doing it for a while. I actually wish that ETC had lasted longer so it could divert hash power away from ETH!

Sorry about all the bitching and moaning....
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    I am new to mining. Been at it for 4 days. 2 of those setting up the roms and deciding ethos just wasn't cutting it for me. Went with windows 10 and since putting virtual memory to 16gb not had 1 problem. Dual mining sia and eth. Will make my money back on the rig easily and plan on holding eth for a while
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    I just switched from 7970's/7990's and 290X's to RX 480's because the old cards were not cutting it any more in terms of profitability. I am very happy with the switch, but I had to make serious effort to reduce power consumption by undervolting and underclocking the new cards. I would imagine that the difficulty growth would slow down once people realize it is not that easy to stay in the mining business with all these new Polaris and Pascal cards. We will see...

@marvell what OS/driver version? claymore? RAM amount? ~50% sounds like it's a config issue rather than actual throttling

Ok thanks for the tips @Logicaluser & @adaseb it was wattman, it was reseting the mem clocks and the core clocks after crashes

now I'm seeing 15mhs again with 20 dscri and 200 mhs sia
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    Difficulty and network size, I think, are going to determine the end of practical mining before PoS. A lot of folks seem to think PoS is four months off, but most of those timelines were put out before the DAO hack and subsequent fallout, and even then they were optimistic.

Network hash rate, on the other hand, has grown sharply over the past few weeks, approximatly 20%+. That could be due in part to large miners jumping off ETC, but maybe it's a rush of new retail miners looking to get while the gettings good. Personally I feel its the former as there hasn't been a particular uptick of newbie questions on the forum relative to weeks past. Either way, if the network continues to grow at a similar rate and Eth remains in its trading range profitability for those with an electric bill will go to zero and into the negative sooner rather than later. Which may actually yeild a leveling off of network size in the months to come.

At this point, 8/28/16, the only people who can/should get into mining are: those who don't have a power bill, those who got all or part of their hardware for free, and/or those who believe in Eth and feel it will go somewhere beyond (or far beyond) its current trading range. Even if someone falls into that narrow band of qualifications I wouldn't remortgage the home; the time to set up a farm or throw thousands at rigs was a year ago, or even six months ago. At this point the risk/reward scale is decidedly tipped in the risk direction; anyone getting into this now needs to prepare themselves for a 100% loss on investment and adjust their expectations accordingly.

Even a month or two ago it might have been practical to fire up a few cheap rigs and hit ROI in this environment with a power bill....moving forward I'd say anyone interested in Eth should take the money they'd throw at rigs and drop it directly into an eth wallet.
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    just my humble opinion...up for debate (be gentle with me here!)

even when PoS comes... if it comes... you need the network of people "miners and nodes" to keep the network from collapsing otherwise will become a centralize (private) network and the value will leave and the whole thing will collapse (probably the financial brick and stone will highjack it), and then someone else will replace this with something like it (but better).

If you don't put your money in rigs you will put it on eth so you can be a node and have a play on the PoS (which i still dont see the value of from the miners perpective, put your own money to secure the transaction costs? dono can't see it)... yes you have to put way more money into being a node in PoS but the beauty and value of this is being decentralize, so things will change but not in an extreme way. this currency is way to volatile, for this currency to be able to be used in microtransactions needs to be cheap, very cheap, and rock solid stable, and that is a long ways because that same money now is paying the ethereum development if it goes low they will not be able to fund dev and things will tank.

question: how can the miners produce 1 block a second? or 1 block every 1/2 a second or 1/4 of a second? how can you compress 1 million transactions per block?

lots has to happen for any of this to really become a reality.
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    Difficulty is actually going down right now. Hope this trend continues.
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    @Rabasso It may be naive to assume the network will remain decentralized in the way it is now. Large interests will push the retail miner out for all practical purposes, as we've seen in the past. The hardware of the network will become more concentrated as participation increases. However, physical control and consolodation of the backbone of the network may not corrupt the spirit and essence of the overarching project. At the least, network consolodation and the ethereum project aren't mutually exclusive by necessity, only by context and execution.
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    @SpydrMstrmnd agree! Point taken!

The centralization has already begun by the community itself, the fact that pools are being adopted more and more proves that point. that is also corroborated by the fact that when the DAO vote happened just 5% of the total miners voted (does this means the network/tech is controlled by a small group?). The creation of pools is working against us as a community, and i think losing control of the backbone will give control as you say to large interest, that are already using ethereum as the base tech (4 big international banks are using it, as a clearing house, kind of $100,000 bills for intrabanks resolutions harnessing the speed and security of the network)

what will happen if the chain forks over and over, and industry/vertical/society could take solo control of a forked chain and use it for its own benefit... could this happened? what will be the repercussion of that happening?

The solution to fight centralization is to solomine so we get away from the chocking points that can take the network down and make the chain more prone to attacks. Most nodes exist in a few countries and those can be easily manipulated.

Exciting times! this is the real tech revolution of our age and it will give back control to society/people, we are witnessing the birth of society 2.0!
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    now the difficulty is sinking as seen at etherscan...
  • SashSash Member Posts: 56
    GPU miners moving to other coins that are more profitable ie Monero
    https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_xmr