No iOS devices?

EastSideEastSide Member Posts: 9
I bought 2000 Ether a week or so ago using my MacBook Pro. NOW I see a WARNING message regarding NOT using iOS devices to buy Ether.
Should I be worried? I have my wallet saved on a usb and I have my passphrase (pswd) saved in a safe place.

Thanks,

EastSide

Answers

• AbscondsAbsconds Member Posts: 3
    I bought 10,000 on the same day the sale opened...and just learned about this limitation today. Should we be worried?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    No, if the purchase went through, meaning that:

1) you are in control of the wallet file
    2) you have your password
    3) your balance checks out on https://www.ethereum.org

Then there is nothing to be concerned about. You're one of the lucky ones that were able to purchase with an IOS device, others sometimes had issues (IOS does funny things to files sometimes, making it difficult for users to locate the wallets on their device).

Futures users should continue observing the warning and use desktop browsers instead.
    Thank you for the response, Stephan. I'll follow up with another question. Related to number 1: the 'wallet' that downloaded contains some kind of script. There is a file, but how do I know that this file actually will work? It's not executable....sorry for my ignorance; I feel like a caveman talking about rocket science.
    Stephan, please disregard my follow up question...I dug around in the forum and learned more about the .json file. I'm all set.
  • EastSideEastSide Member Posts: 9
    Stephan could you give me a quick tutorial on 1) How exactly to check the balance at ethereum.org and 2) How to execute that .json file when the time comes.
    Thanks much!
    JB
    @EastSide‌:

1) To check your balance, go to https://www.ethereum.org, and scroll down until the message that says "If you have already purchased ether, you can check your account balance by entering your address here:". Type in / paste your ether address (not your email address) and then press 'check balance'. A pop up will appear with your balance displayed.

2) You will download the official ethereum client/wallet (very likely in the form of something called the 'etherbrowser') and it will have a button that says 'load wallet'. You'll click the button, point to your wallet file and voila, your live wallet balance will reflect what you purchased during the sale.
    Ok I'm saving this answer - thanks Stephan. One final question: WHAT is my Ether address? I know that may sound naive, but I'm not sure where to find this. Thanks again,

John B.
    @EastSide‌ , it's located in your wallet file, as "ethaddr". Should look like this: 0cdfdefj93918d126b130303fjf69e102def33f77. You can open the file with textedit or notepad.
    Perfect!!! Thanks Stephan!!!
    Hi Stephen:
    The wallet files I have (2 of them) contain .json files that I cannot open on my OFFLINE mac. Therefore I do not understand how I can see or Access my "ethaddr". Please advise.
    Thanks again.
    Eastside
  • vaXvaX Austin, TXMember Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    EastSide said:

see or Access my "ethaddr".
    Eastside

@Eastside try this:

1. Open the 'TextEdit' app on your OFFLINE mac
    2. Click 'File' in top navigation bar of TextEdit app
    3. Select 'Open'
    4. Locate the .json file that you downloaded
    5. Open it
    6. When the file opens, press 'command + F' to search the content of the file
    7. in the 'find' field, type 'ethaddr' (it will be highlighted)
    8. the number in quotations to the right of the highlight, following ":" is your ether address.
    vaX you are a god. This took me about 30 minutes to accomplish and I felt like I was on a treasure hunt as James Bond. Be thankful that you are not as tech challenged as I am. Since 2011 I have navigated these Bitcoin/altcoin now Ethereum seas and managed to stay afloat because of great help forums like this one and great helpers like Stephan and you. For other guys out there, please remember that the non tech guys can accomplish a lot, IF they are given detailed directions. I first heard about Bitcoin in 2010 but could not to save my life figure out how to 1) mine them and 2) buy them. I was cussed at and lambasted and called a troll many dozens of times for being a "nooby" and asking basic, honest questions. Very sad times back then. Times have changed and there are a lot of people who are very willing and very capable of helping "noobs" (what a derogatory term by the way). Had it not been for so many of those impatient and rude assholes back "in the day", I would be a Bitcoin millionaire today. Ha! Ha! C'est la vie non? Still smiling over here : )