Difficulty rising?

iamkonyiamkony Member Posts: 49
So what's driving this rise in difficulty? It's over 63 trillion right now and it was 48 trillion at the start of the month. My mining profit went from 140usd to 110usd a month and I'm wondering why? Especially since eth dropped in price....

Can anyone explain this please?
Thank you!

Comments

• oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    rx480 / 470 cards and for some gtx1070.
  • AtrocityAtrocity Member Posts: 46
    The diff was also really low early this month because of etc.
    yeah that too but people bought a shitload of rx 480 cards, it went out of stock in all shops across the planet.
  • iamkonyiamkony Member Posts: 49
    Damn it definitely took a chunk out of my profits. Over the last few days I lost quite a bit
    So did everyone else and you gonna lose more and more, difficulty won't decrease, just up up up :D
  • bluelogicbluelogic Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2016
    They are still in stock: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

It is only taking your profits if you are selling. If you hold and the price jumps up you made profit as long as you exceed your energy cost in the long run. I would consider not selling until PoS comes out since when mining stops ETH might skyrocket.

So a lot of miners like me dumped their 7950/7970s and bought RX 480s. Basically end of life upgrades. My desktop computer is now at 81 Mh/s. Here is a good calculator: http://karldiab.com/EthereumMiningCalculator/

Based on this. When the difficulty hits 100 trillon, adding another RX 480 only gives 3 ETH per month more. I rather just buy ETH them at that time than add another card. To give a little perspective a five card RX 480 rig at 100 trillion will only make 7 ETH per month more than my three RX 480s I currently have. So unless the difficulty stays flat. I'm technically done building. I would only advise upgrade your rig and dumping your old cards at this point.
    Yeah I'm currently running at 70 mhs and pulling in 110 usd a month

I'm dumping everything though without saving. Need money now
  • geekdarkgeekdark Lima, PeruMember Posts: 25
    Full RX 480 .. the mining death
    yes RX 480s should be in normal stock by the end of the month. They are still in stock at newegg. Let the dumping begin for previous generation cards.
  • ceddycakesceddycakes Member Posts: 70
    *cough* Amazon has MSI RX 480 8GB in stock and new. 10$ cheaper than Newegg. *cough* *coughy cough cough*
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    current total Hash rate : 5010.4 GH/s
    @ceddycakes MAN why did you do that! It is prime shipping as well. It clocks at 8100 so it has good memory and I heard the fan is great on it. It is the last card I'm buying once I offload my last two 7950s. So I now have a Red Devil, XFX and one MSI (Plan)
  • ceddycakesceddycakes Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2016
    @bluelogic Bro, I've been looking around for the MSI brand for a few weeks now. Literally last night I checked to see if Amazon had it, they didn't. I check this morning around 10am, BAM! I ordered 3 right then and there. Due to be here next week :)

I love it because now I have cards that are VR ready. When I wont be mining or there isn't another coin to mine, I have a VR machine. Crossfire the fuck out of them and we're good! MMMMMM.

edited August 2016
    Aww I'm jealous. I only have 2 slots on my mobo but I hit ROI so I'm happy
    I did! I have an old Asus board with one 16x slot and one 1x slot. I have a 290x and a 290 in there. They're both going at 33.1 mhs each
  • KREIONKREION Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2016
    iamkony said:

I did! I have an old Asus board with one 16x slot and one 1x slot. I have a 290x and a 290 in there. They're both going at 33.1 mhs each

Do you mind sharing your settings for that 33.1 mh/s?

edited August 2016
    I'm currently away but from memory my MSI AF settings are:

290x
    Core Voltage: -19mV
    Core Clock: 1170mhz
    Memory: 1125 mhz
    Fan: 100% (temp is at 77-78C)

290 (reference)
    Core Voltage: -19mV
    Core Clock: 1180/1185 mhz
    Memory: 1125 mhz
    Fan: 70% (temp is at 77-78C)
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    I just re-ran the numbers and yes right now its better to buy Eth unless you have a long ROI of up to a year and can wait it out
  • XereoXereo Member Posts: 55
    93 TH Difficulty now :/ not looking so great lol
  • XereoXereo Member Posts: 55
    At the current difficulty increase and hashing power coming from the chinese, ETH will not be profitable to anyone over $0.10 per KWH in a couple months
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting thread to me.... people one the one hand discussing how the RX cards have "ruined" mining prematurely, which I agree with, and on the other hand talking about buying them cheaply etc.

Personally I'm disappointed that the RX cards appeared when they did. This forum is a great example of what they did. It used to be a really diverse and technical ether mining discussion forum, now it's pretty much the "RX cards for new miners forum". I know I'm generalizing but that's what it looks like to me. I don't care about RX cards at all, so I especially don't care about ROM tweaking them in Windows.

• Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @newmz
    Unfortunately you can do nothing against eth mining going mainstream.
    Forums are spammed by noobs, profit goes to zero, unless eth price goes up. The POS will stop this, they will move to other coins, or flood the market with used cards. Time will tell.
    Pros needs to be always one step ahead of the trends. (Not that I had time for research, I'm still mining eth too.)
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    the saddest thing for me is when eth is not profitable for ppl paying electricity these rx 400s are not gonna be very good for mining anything else
    sure they are efficient still but in the end if no mem intensive algo happens other than eth ima be wishing i just bought 390s, def dont have enough of them and they are great
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that once ETH goes POS, the value will drop dramatically and many will jump ship. I feel like the only reason why ETH is still at its current price now is because of us miners.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    hasher said:

I have a feeling that once ETH goes POS, the value will drop dramatically and many will jump ship. I feel like the only reason why ETH is still at its current price now is because of us miners.

Considering how much ETH floods the market every month from miners.... The price could actually go up if it was more scarce.

The price is where its at from traders (people buying ETH), not at all from miners.

Also, depending on how the world of Ethereum looks when POS comes, the price could very well shoot up then as well. Too far out though to really make an educated guess.

The future is still bright for ETH and Ethereum!
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    inc 100 TH by tonight.Its like 1-2 TH rising per day wich is insane
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Whenever the hash rate doubles/triples suddenly me think ASIC
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Its not ASICs its people wanting free money.

I was in a Cab yesterday and even the Cabbie was mining ETHEREUM. I couldn't believe it.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    So lets just really hope that there is a publically available GPU miner for Zcash and every RX card noob goes over to mine on their chain in two weeks time. Unfortunately all the GPU miners have been privately bought for Zcash to run on cloud mining so far.