[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• duurrrrduurrrr Member Posts: 27
    SIRacer09 said:

Success on Windows 7 Pro... for the most part.. :)

Here is the rough, and I mean rough process I went through to get the BIOS flashed and atikmdag.sys file taken care of. I downloaded the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider that I found on one of the Graphics forums... I do not know ANYTHING about this software, whether it is good or bad, and I'm not telling anyone to use it because for all I know it could do harm, but it's the only way I could get the atikmdag.sys file to work. Supposedly it signs the atikmdag.sys file so the signature check passes without turning it off. Below is the link to the software. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. (If someone else has insight into the software, or knows if it is good or bad, let us know!)

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

I took steps from @Heliox and @boysie and mashed them together to get it to work. Once again, this is what worked for me. Below are the steps I took from start to finish

1. Start off in Windows with Stock BIOS, Stock Settings, no undervolt/overclock.
    2. Reboot to safe mode and run DDU to safely remove all video drivers.
    3. Reboot into Windows and download the latest drivers from AMD (Someone said the latest version of drivers cause higher wattage usage, I think this might be the case since I'm at 1050 watts for an 8GB RX480 rig, but I will have to do more testing to figure it out)
    4. Install drivers and reboot.
    5. Once Windows comes back up you should have all your cards seen in Device Manager and all should be good. If you have more than 4 cards you might have to run the 6GPU fix to get the other working. Don't move on to the next step until you've got all working in Device Manager.
    6. Download the latest version of Atiflash

NOTE: Sometimes it's a good idea to flash 1 card at a time. If you want to do this, shutdown your rig, unplug all RX 480s except 1 and boot back up, repeating the below process to flash eash GPU.

7. Open a command line, as administrator, and browse to the Atiflash folder. Type atiflash -i to list the GPU or GPUs you have connected. Once the first one will be "0", then 1,2 and so on if you have more than 1 connected.
    8. If you are comfortable with the GPUs that are connected, you can now flash the BIOS by typing "atiflash -f -p 0 BIOS.rom" without the quotes, where "0" is the number of the GPU you want to flash and "BIOS.rom" is the name of the ROM you want to flash to the card. It will give you some info on what it is doing and then take a minute or 2 to flash. When it is done, it will prompt you to reboot to make the changes take effect. You can proceed with flashing the other cards before rebooting, or at least that worked for me.
    9. Once all your cards have been flashed with the new BIOS and are seen by Windows with no errors, you can move on to step 10
    10. Download the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software (http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo) Again, do at your own risk. This is the only way I got it to work in Windows 7 though.
    11. Download a copy of the atikmdag.sys file from the link provided in this thread. Save it to your desktop or folder you can remember.
    12. Open the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software and it will ask you what you want to do. Click "Enable Test Mode" and click Next. It will prompt you to reboot, so go ahead and reboot.
    13. Once you are back in Windows run the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software again and choose the "Sign a System File" and click Next. Now it will ask you what file to sign. Enter the file name that you want to sign, which is the atikmdag.sys file (It is requesting the whole file path, i.e. C:\Users\SIRacer09\Desktop\atikmdag.sys)
    14. Enter the file path and hit next, then reboot.
    15. Move the atikmdag.sys file to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder, overriding the one in place and reboot.

When your computer comes back up, you should (hopefully) be good to go with the new atikmdag.sys file and flashed GPUs. Again, this is a rough outline of what I did. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully I can help! :)

You are a lifesaver!!! Thank you for taking the time to write this. It worked the first time. The step I was missing before was using the signature enforce software to batch the sys file. Thanks again!
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    @SIRacer09 I followed your steps and it worked flawlessly. Everything stick even after rebooting - I'm glad I didn't upgrade to 10. Thanks for your step by step guide!

@boysie thanks for posting the xfx from - with ethi 16 and dcri 40 I'm getting 28.835 eth and 576.669 sia. Seems stable so far, and the whole rig uses about 25 watts less at the wall (4 gpu total, 1 card flashed).
  • ExtrastarkaExtrastarka Member Posts: 44
    Can someone put the links to the modded roms? Then we got everything in one place :) Think I found what I was looking for but I had to go thru the entire thread found a 480LowEnergyOK.zip file. SOmeone tried it?
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    P.S I

@SIRacer09 I followed your steps and it worked flawlessly. Everything stick even after rebooting - I'm glad I didn't upgrade to 10. Thanks for your step by step guide!

@boysie thanks for posting the xfx from - with ethi 16 and dcri 40 I'm getting 28.835 eth and 576.669 sia. Seems stable so far, and the whole rig uses about 25 watts less at the wall (4 gpu total, 1 card flashed).

Did you change anything via Wattman? I tried using the same ROM for my XFX but am having issues. Please let me know if there was anything else you modified?
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @Extrastarka yes i've been using that rom for days now. Works great!
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @K0lebas your memory is clocked too high for your core. Drop your memory down to 2125 @ 930mv. Put your core up to 1160 @ 975mv (these are solid values) - Put your fan down to something like 3500... maybe 4000 if you live somewhere warm. It should be stable.. and giving less heat.

Card will throttle you when you reach 75c so set target GPU temp to 65c as well or edit ROM and increase temp to 80. Also increase minimum fan speed from 1200 to 2200.

Modify as required to keep temp low and card won't throttle.
  • yoghurtakyoghurtak Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    Hi,

Can i use same process for flash 8gb rx 480 to heliox rom? -
    And where i can download @Heliox rom for windows10?
    It works for GIGABYTE Radeon RX 480, 8GB GDDR5?///Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB?

thx
    Post edited by yoghurtak on
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @SIRacer09

If you are able to sign the .sys file in windows 7 then you are able to sign the win10 .sys file while in win7 and export your local cert in win7 and import it to windows10 as a trusted and use the win10 driver signed by your now trusted windows7 cert.

The only thing I can think that would prevent this is the singing process might be different for a win10 driver and there for not work but I don't know how that works in the first place...but would be fairly easy to try?

There is a good reason why you would want to only do this with your own cert though as you would risk installing a publicly available cert and trusting that would be bad.

Boysie

EDIT: It looks like from your steps the same patched file can be used on win7 and win10 and there for the same self sig driver can be used on win10 if you export your cert from win7 and import it as a trusted cert.
    Post edited by boysie on
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45

is the low energy ROM Flash with all 480 8gb cards possible?

MSI Radeon RX 480, 8GB GDDR5, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort (V803-862R)?
  • koorpakoorpa Member Posts: 73
    I just can't get this to work with win7, get error 41 or 43 in device manager. Anyone else?
    @koorpa - I had error 43 after I flashed, but all was well after steps 13-15.

@nhando - I reset wattman and didn't use it after - I use claymore to run my fans at 75%. Nothing else modified.
  • K0lebasK0lebas Member Posts: 4
    @Yogi. Thank you for your answer, you really helped
    I used boysie's sapphire rom and copied the values to the backup of a rom from one of my powercolor 8gb 480's and flashed - I'm at 28 eth and 570 sia for all three of the PC cards. The fourth card has his xfx rom - I'm pulling 950 watts from the wall for the whole rig.
    Billcryptokid was able to get 30+ ETH and 400 Sia using boysie ROM with some wattman tweak. That's what I want to achieve! =) This current wattage I think I should be able to do 7 x RX480 using my MSI Gaming 5 MB powered by just 1 EVGA 1300 but I need to get a stable setting first. Testing another XFX card now with the Boysie ROM, will also test PowerColor using Bitcointalk Heavy Rom which is what Boysie's ROM is modified from and a Sapphire card.
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    @nhando
    I am using the XFX (8GB) ROM @boysie kindly uploaded and running a stable 30MHs @78w

WattMan is set to some settings I spotted on this topic earlier...

edited August 2016
    Will update more once testing is complete as I have many brand to test. I'm making good progress and I think I figure out what the issue may be now.

Post edited by nhando on
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for asking the noob questions.
    I have 6x xfx rx480 4gb (first ones), 6 xfx rx480 8GB, 8 sapphire rx480 8GB and 3 powercolor rx480 8GB.

All ref cards.

Can i flash an all the same low energy rom?
    Mining on Ubuntu 16.04.
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119

Sorry for asking the noob questions.
    I have 6x xfx rx480 4gb (first ones), 6 xfx rx480 8GB, 8 sapphire rx480 8GB and 3 powercolor rx480 8GB.

All ref cards.

Can i flash an all the same low energy rom?
    Mining on Ubuntu 16.04.

I flashed all of mine and they are XFX, Powercolor, gigabyte, and sapphire..all worked I am running on windows though
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Dr_House86 my question to you would be, "how in the.... did you get all them 480's?" :p
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Calivet said:

@Dr_House86 my question to you would be, "how in the.... did you get all them 480's?" :p

I grabbed a ton from my local micro center I have around 30 rx 480s myself
    boysie said:

thanks for sharing i am a bit confused about this, i saved a copy of my bios card and tried to compare that with optimized rom

at the top is optimized rom and at the bottom is my asus 8 gb rom
    there are some differences here as you can see
    1.vendor ID
    2.DevicevID
    3.SubID
    4.SubvendorID
    and for memory
    5.Size
    and
    6.Density

so do i need to correct optimized rom with these values, or it can be flashed directly?

and this signature checking problem, is it for win 10 only ( i am on win 7)?

I would just change the vendor stuff and leave the stuff on the right alone.

or do what I did and edit your own BIOS and put in all the changes Heliox and I did (mostly heliox) that way you have your bios with the required changes and it will def work..

Boysie
    ok this is my question, what were the changes ? I need to apply these changes to the six different 470s I have lol. From the pics above it seems the timings were not changed but the guy who modified a 470 nitros to get 27mhs sai something about changing timings and if you look at his images the timings are different.

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8845/rx-470-mining/p5

@Calivet

I bought them instant when they where available in my area ;)

I sold my 390s and bought more ref 480s xD

Risky but yeah, it's just an expensive Hobby^^
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    Anyone running a full rx480 8gb rig with low power mod bios, able to give me a KillaWatt reading?

Preferbly dualmining with Claymore if possible, thanks!
    edited August 2016

btw I figured out the why I was getting such a low hash rate dual mining, this ROM is so efficient you have to set a powerlimit of +10 or +20 in claymore or via wattman to force the cards to pull more juice
    I was using around 3.5 (17 amps at meter then when mining 19amps sometimes 20 is how I got this number) amps for six cards to mine.

You have to be careful though I saw a few crashes due to Kernel power errors I think its because I am using 1000 watt PSU's and when you add 4 amps + the cpu OS that's 5 amps which is over spec for the PSU

hope this helps anyone

***Edit**
    Added GPU z as requested , I forgot to mention that I am on 240V meters so my power usage at 4.5 amps give or take for six cards is 1080 watts minus the 80 for the cpu and mb
    Post edited by Marvell9 on
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    @Heliox i can take your settings from your roms and put same settings in red devils rom with the bios editor, or are they too different??
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2016
    Marvell9 said:

btw I figured out the why I was getting such a low hash rate dual mining, this ROM is so efficient you have to set a powerlimit of +10 or +20 in claymore or via wattman to force the cards to pull more juice
    I was using around 3.5 (17 amps at meter then when mining 19amps sometimes 20 is how I got this number) amps for six cards to mine.

You have to be careful though I saw a few crashes due to Kernel power errors I think its because I am using 1000 watt PSU's and when you add 4 amps + the cpu OS that's 5 amps which is over spec for the PSU

hope this helps anyone

@Marvell9
    Ahh nice, I am using a 1050W PSU as well. So I presume you are using the low power mod bios yea?

Let me summarise what you did.
    1. You flashed all cards with Low Power Mod bios.
    2. Set Wattman or Claymore for Power Limit +10. ( low one just in case.)
    3. Run Claymore and drool at the increased Hashrate and Power efficiency.

Have yet to try out the Mod for my 480Ref Rig, running on 27Mh / 330sia per card , 980W at the wall.
    On stock Bios with @boysie 's old Power saving Wattman settings.
    @ShawnY youre correct although not quite in that order after i moddded the bios i did a clean install then used that windows 7 driver sgining tool after i copied down the modified driver.

ive had too much trouble with wattaman which is why this modded bios is a god send for me so i used claymore to set the power lim to +20

the only thing i miss with wattamn is the ablity to further undervolt memory and core clocks but im sure Evilop witll have an even more effecient bios at some point
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2016
    I get this error after I use @SIRacer09 methode for win7
    http://imgur.com/a/nYHNM
    and I didnt have a backup for bios and atikmdag.sys
    anyone can help to restore the gpu at least ?
    edited August 2016
    @ShawnY
    Can you share the link of this ROM you're referencing that gets 27MH / 330 SIA. How much does it get ETH only. That will probably help me identify the ROM.

My Test so far
    Test 1 - XFX Card only - Card can not handle any of the ROM that needs over 2200 Mem clock speed so only the LowPowROM and the 30.5Eth ROM will work

Test 2 - 2nd XFX card only - No issues handling any of the ROMs including the Heavy ROM 31.8ETH only Romsie ROM that can also do 30.3MH plus 440 Sia. This is the ROM I WANT to get working BADLY!. After this success and it ran stable overnight, I then started flashing and testing over 15 more cards. I made sure they all can run stable at least for 2-3 mins before moving to the next card as my first test with the XFX shows that if it's going to fail, it will normally fail within the first min via overheating or other issues. I flash a total of 19 cards. Found 1 card that can't handle the heavy ROM (First card tested). Found another card that end up with a dead fan (Sapphire). So please proceed understanding there are higher risk involved with the higher OC ROM vs the low power one. You should also check to make sure the SATA connectors are not overheating. I had 2 burn out due to cheap cables that may have gotten loose and crossed causing a small fire but it didn't damage the PSU or GPU. Replacing the Molex power cable fix the issue but it did a temporary nervousness. From this test I noticed that some brand prefer certain temp level before performance start dropping and it could range from 80-84 so I set my Claymore to -tt 79 which comes at the cost of noise. Again you will not have this issue with the low power ROM but I want maximum performance as my power is cheaper so I want 390 performance.

Test 3
    Rig 1 - MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard which can handle 7 GPU - All PowerColor cards. I get constant reboots after 4-30 mins. I don't know why. Sometimes it will crash saying Ethermine.exe failed, other times it just reboots itself which you can't set to autostart due to the signature thing.

Rig 2 - ASROCK H81 BTC Pro - 6 GPU - All XFX - I can run between 1-60 mins. Fail with similar issue as above

Rig 3 - ASROCK H81 BTC Pro - 5 Sapphire card but 1 die with the FAN issue so it went down to 4. Fail with similar issues above.

Lesson learned - It's best to test stability for at least 2-3 days before doing large scale deployment. I still want to dual mine, I'm pretty certain if I just do the Low Power Rom, it will be more stable but I want the maximum hashing rate before diff skyrocket again

I'm open to suggestion but I've tried many things like increasing power limit to +10 and setting temp max to 76 forcing Claymore to run fan at 100% to avoid overheating etc. I want this to work. It's very addictive when you see the # reported for 7 GPU at this high rate which is comparable to my 390 Rigs. Will add screen capture of hashing results soon.

Going back to the 30.5MH ETH Only ROM for now to see how stable that is for multi GPU.

Post edited by nhando on
    Iam not really happy with the roms, i tried a lot but nothing is near my expections.
    The low power ones are crap for dual mining and the high power ones are to hungry.

I need a rom with ≤1000w for a whole 6card rig with 160-170mh/s eth and 2000mh/s sia

On windows i run with 160mh/s eth, 2000mh/s sia with 1050w @ wall.