[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    @nhando have you tried the xfx rom that boysie created? He created one for xfx and one for sapphire.
    edited August 2016
    ETGoHome said:

@Heliox thanks again for all your hard work, it's like adding a free video card on a 6-rig with your bios.

Attached is my modified bios with aggressive undervolting as mentioned earlier. It might not work for everyone, but I tested it on 18 video cards with 100% success rate, so I say it's pretty good odds.

test on dual mining @ETGoHome ? Also, this is based on the 4gb rom still.
    Post edited by billcryptokid on
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    @billcryptokid, yes the ROM I tested is the Boysie XFX ROM from your share drive. I only test with the XFX ROM not the sapphire 1. The other ROM I test with is from bitcointalk which is link in this thread. There is a power saving 1 that gets 29MH which is stable for me and there is a Heavy 1 that is supposed to be similar to Boysie at 31-32MH but it would just crash for me after 30-60 secs of mining.
  • geekdarkgeekdark Lima, PeruMember Posts: 25

which driver version you are using
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    Others are using the latest drivers. I am on 16.7.3. Try and see which one works for you @geekdark
  • geekdarkgeekdark Lima, PeruMember Posts: 25
    @Calivet
    Thank you, I am next to acquire these days 2GPUS 8GB Gigabyte RX480 unfortunately in my country Peru , do not reach the XFX or Saphire , only MSI and Gigabyte and are around 320-340USD .

I see the possibility to import them , but leave as expensive , not much difference .

You that you suggest , the Gigabyte would yield the same? It lei, would function with the latest drivers .
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I have not used the gigabyte but if they are ref card, it should work. Maybe someone who has a gigabyte could give you better advice. I do have an MSI ref rx 480 and it works fine.
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Can someone show me how to lower my core on my rx480s? Maybe a screenshot? I think thats why my 6 gpu rig is running at 1200watts!!

EDIT: which level do I change?
    EDIT2: Found out...

I've finally got Win7 to work with the LowEnergy ROM from @Heliox but I must be doing something wrong. I tested with a kill-a-watt and the system without any cards is pulling 95-106 watts at idle. With all 6 of my 8GB RX480s (3 XFX, 2 MSI, 1 Gigabyte) running its's pulling 1,045-1,053 watts at the wall! Thats about 150 watts per card. Anyone seeing the same on Windows 7? I'm using a EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU. Thanks!
    Post edited by SIRacer09 on
    edited August 2016
    I found the latest driver 16.8.2 uses about 15-20 watts more for my XFX testing on some ROM compare to 16.7.3 so I reverted back. You must be running on a more power hungry CPU. The intel celeron 1820 combo would only use about 55-65W or so. I was measuring about 186-198 watts via Killawatt so the RX480 was about 131-140+ watts using the Bitcointalk ROM via this link. It's the only ROM that seems stable on my XFX. Hesistant to test on the other RX480 brands until I find out what's causing this.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1584617.100

Where he mentioned this
    "Try this one Marvell, 29Mh otb, low power usage "

My System is running Win10 Pro on ASROCK H81 BTC Pro /Celeron1820 /G2 1300W PSU or a cheap EVGA 600W PSU for my ROM testing station.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    ASROCK H81 BTC Pro /Celeron1820 with 2 sticks of ram and an SSD while mining only uses 40 - 45w

you lot do seem to over do it a little on your est.

Its easy to see with a 6 card rig and dual identical PSU the diff between the 2 is the System...and on mine that's about 40w

I power on my 2nd PSU the last 3 cards and their risers only.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Guys any advice on force resetting wattman ?
    I've over done it on my settings and although I can login to windows, as soon as I do anything the rig just hangs with a black screen (because of memory voltage).

Wattman used to just reset if you go a bit to far.. this time its not.
    Would save me faffing about with a lot of drivers / flashing if anyone has a quick fix to reset it.

Fixed - Re-flashed to stock / clean driver install / re-flashed using my custom rom version. Working O.K again now.
    Post edited by Yogi on
  • BatmanBatman Member Posts: 8
    SIRacer09 said:

Can someone show me how to lower my core on my rx480s? Maybe a screenshot? I think thats why my 6 gpu rig is running at 1200watts!!

EDIT: which level do I change?
    EDIT2: Found out...

I've finally got Win7 to work with the LowEnergy ROM from @Heliox but I must be doing something wrong. I tested with a kill-a-watt and the system without any cards is pulling 95-106 watts at idle. With all 6 of my 8GB RX480s (3 XFX, 2 MSI, 1 Gigabyte) running its's pulling 1,045-1,053 watts at the wall! Thats about 150 watts per card. Anyone seeing the same on Windows 7? I'm using a EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU. Thanks!

I don't know how to start in Windows 7

Can you share how to flashing in Windows 7?
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Yogi said:

Guys any advice on force resetting wattman ?
    I've over done it on my settings and although I can login to windows, as soon as I do anything the rig just hangs with a black screen (because of memory voltage).

Wattman used to just reset if you go a bit to far.. this time its not.
    Would save me faffing about with a lot of drivers / flashing if anyone has a quick fix to reset it.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
    It should only boot up the Windows stuff and not load WattMan.
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    So new issue for me, got everything working finally lol been solid for this weekend, then last night a rig went down, tried to reboot and i get a black screen after windows loads, so i ran DDU, reflashed all gpus and same issue, was going to reinstall windows later tonight, but anyone have any ideas?
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    Does anyone have instructions for Windows 7?

This is what I did

1. Deinstalled drivers via DDU
    2. Flashed low energy ROM using Atiwinflash.exe from cmd mode with administrator ownership using command atiwinflash.exe -f -p 0
    3. disabled driver signing check on Windows 7 x64 using these commands from command prompt with Administrator privileges:
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

4. Installed latest 16.8.2 drivers

But now windows starts but it says that Windows stopped card because of a problem.

How to fix this issue?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    vlcmstne said:

So new issue for me, got everything working finally lol been solid for this weekend, then last night a rig went down, tried to reboot and i get a black screen after windows loads, so i ran DDU, reflashed all gpus and same issue, was going to reinstall windows later tonight, but anyone have any ideas?

Try the gpus in another rig? maybe at least one of the cards died
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2016
    have you copied patched amd***.sys in safe mode?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    cveks said:

Does anyone have instructions for Windows 7?

This is what I did

1. Deinstalled drivers via DDU
    2. Flashed low energy ROM using Atiwinflash.exe from cmd mode with administrator ownership using command atiwinflash.exe -f -p 0
    3. disabled driver signing check on Windows 7 x64 using these commands from command prompt with Administrator privileges:
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

4. Installed latest 16.8.2 drivers

But now windows starts but it says that Windows stopped card because of a problem.

How to fix this issue?

Please let me know if you get it working because i'm considering installing win7 on my 480 rig for the modded bioses (need reboots to go right into mining and not have to press the 7 key for win10)

vlcmstne said:

Try the gpus in another rig? maybe at least one of the cards died
    If a card "died" you think it would still be recognized by windows, maybe ill try flash them to stock and see if it works again...thanks
  • duurrrrduurrrr Member Posts: 27
    *****HELP******

I have tried to get this flashing method to work. I have tried the instructions by both boysia and heliox. I am able to flash the card and copy the driver, and I have used test mode in Windows 7 and tried Windows 10 booting with driver signature disabled. I have tried the latest driver and 16.7.2. The problem I am running into is that the driver fails to start. It is giving a Code 43: driver could not start error. I have tried uninstalling the video card in device manager and letting it reinstall many times. Is there something else I can try? Anything I am missing? I followed the instructions just like they said.
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    duurrrr said:

*****HELP******

I have tried to get this flashing method to work. I have tried the instructions by both boysia and heliox. I am able to flash the card and copy the driver, and I have used test mode in Windows 7 and tried Windows 10 booting with driver signature disabled. I have tried the latest driver and 16.7.2. The problem I am running into is that the driver fails to start. It is giving a Code 43: driver could not start error. I have tried uninstalling the video card in device manager and letting it reinstall many times. Is there something else I can try? Anything I am missing? I followed the instructions just like they said.

Use 16.8.2 drivers.
    also when you boot up, for me at least, I had to do the "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on in cmd on every boot
    boysie said:

ASROCK H81 BTC Pro /Celeron1820 with 2 sticks of ram and an SSD while mining only uses 40 - 45w

you lot do seem to over do it a little on your est.

Its easy to see with a 6 card rig and dual identical PSU the diff between the 2 is the System...and on mine that's about 40w

I power on my 2nd PSU the last 3 cards and their risers only.

Everything is in rough estimates as it can go up and down but if you're saying the Celeron 1820 combo is only using 40W then that means the Lowpowerrom uses 150-168w for the RX480 since my Killawatt shows 186-198 which doesn't match what everyone is reporting. Intel reports the Celeron 1820 uses about 53W by itself and off course the numbers will varies depending on the efficiency of our PSU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/78955/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1820-2M-Cache-2_70-GHz

I also tested via Dual PSU previous and that's where I got my 55-65W range depending on OS load. Perhaps you have Platinum rated PSU so you got better efficiency?

@Boysie - Is there anything different for your ROM vs the one listed as Heavy 31.8MH ROM on bitcointalk? Really like the performance # people are reporting for it but seems like Eliovp tested on Sapphire and another guy got it working on MSI. I'm not having much luck with your ROM that was designed for XFX on my XFX card.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    @nhando my only advice when changing mods is to make sure you remove the card from device manager, so the driver is forced to reload the vbios img it actually uses for the settings..else you have a very odd setup with a flashed card being asked by wattman to do some thing the BIOS is not setup for.

my bios is based on @Heliox rom just tweaked the power down a little and the core to the correct setup, heliox is trying to do som ehting odd with his core setup and this totally fucks up wattman so I removed that in mine...the core settings you can change if you find a better settings for your card, as always this is never going to work on all cards, its a setup I've found works well for my 4 xfx cards but you might need to alter it in wattman(you can with mine) to gain what you need from it.

I've been using 16.8.2 with the mod driver in win10
    with my version of Heliox mod I drop the mem power to 980 and leave the core as is, you can vary the powerlimit as required some work as low as -18% still

I had some success moving the core to 1200 (made temp drop 10c) but I was remote and silly me tried using claymore to setup the vddc and core and it properly knackers it up and a reboot happened as a result of a bsod...so no option 7 for me...when I'm back in a few days I will continue to tweak

Hope you find some thing that works for you.

Boysie

• cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    Calivet said:

google polaris bios editor. I downloaded from reddit. (make sure its version 1.4) The modified driver file is at the beginning (page 2 of this thread) where heliox mention it. (win raid or something like that ) go to page 20 or so and look for the atikmdag.rar. You would have to download winrar to unzip it. No it will not cause any other issues. It will tell you that the subsystem ID does not match and it will not flash.

Can you or anyone else post link to moded atikmdag.sys driver file ? I cant find it.
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

@nhando my only advice when changing mods is to make sure you remove the card from device manager, so the driver is forced to reload the vbios img it actually uses for the settings..else you have a very odd setup with a flashed card being asked by wattman to do some thing the BIOS is not setup for.

my bios is based on @Heliox rom just tweaked the power down a little and the core to the correct setup, heliox is trying to do som ehting odd with his core setup and this totally fucks up wattman so I removed that in mine...the core settings you can change if you find a better settings for your card, as always this is never going to work on all cards, its a setup I've found works well for my 4 xfx cards but you might need to alter it in wattman(you can with mine) to gain what you need from it.

I've been using 16.8.2 with the mod driver in win10
    with my version of Heliox mod I drop the mem power to 980 and leave the core as is, you can vary the powerlimit as required some work as low as -18% still

I had some success moving the core to 1200 (made temp drop 10c) but I was remote and silly me tried using claymore to setup the vddc and core and it properly knackers it up and a reboot happened as a result of a bsod...so no option 7 for me...when I'm back in a few days I will continue to tweak

Hope you find some thing that works for you.

Boysie

Yeah, I followed the exact same steps you outline but mine won't stay stable. Is it possible for you to share your Wattman picture so I can compare? I really like that Dual mining stats you're able to run. That's fantastic numbers and you're the only one that have it working on an XFX.

@cveks - Here is the link to the atikmdag.sys file. See post #289
    http://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-19.html#msg30028

@Heliox - Perhaps you can edit the first post to show where all the files is? This would help others as I had similar challenges to dig up the different ROMs, drivers, etc. Awesome work on here and Bitcointalk

• K0lebasK0lebas Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    Hi all.
    I have sapphire RX 480 ref 8G.
    I flashed @Heliox ROM, but GPU clock unstable, change interval 300-1000 MHz.
    Version driver: 16.8.2
    How to fix???????

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    cveks said:

Calivet said:

google polaris bios editor. I downloaded from reddit. (make sure its version 1.4) The modified driver file is at the beginning (page 2 of this thread) where heliox mention it. (win raid or something like that ) go to page 20 or so and look for the atikmdag.rar. You would have to download winrar to unzip it. No it will not cause any other issues. It will tell you that the subsystem ID does not match and it will not flash.

Can you or anyone else post link to moded atikmdag.sys driver file ? I cant find it.
    @cveks - https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/54220/#Comment_54220
    Is anyone pulling 30+/400+ staying under 100W on GPU-Z? I have seen some really solid numbers on ETH only, but not on DUAL.