[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @nhando I only used heliox low power one. It is easy to do the xfx change.

I assume that you have already downloaded ati flash with winflash? I also assume that you have the latest polaris bios editor (version 1.4)? If so here is what I did.

Before you flash your xfx card you need to make a copy of the original.

Right click on winflash, run as admin. Select your gpu (xfx) click on save. It will prompt you with a window to save your file. Please name it something along the lines of OgXFX or some name that you will be able to id it later. Also save it somewhere you will be able to find it. Save the rom.

Open up polaris bios editor. Open up the Mod rom(which ever one you decide to download) you want to flash.

Open up a new polaris bios editor with the OgXFX rom.

At this point you should have two polaris bios editor open. One is the modded bios. The other is your original. You need both open to be able to compare them.

Ok so here is what you need to do. Look at the mod rom. You should be looking at the square under "ROM". You will need to change the fields under that. Sub ID, Subsystem ID and such.

Compare the mod bios with your original xfx bios. Change the fields in the modded bios under the square name ROM to be just like the one in your original bios. I only had to change those two since they were the only ones that were different. The firmware signature should be the same.

Now depending if your card is an 4gb or 8gb you can also change that in the "VRAM" square under size.

Once you have done all of the changing. Select save. Enter a name that you will be able to identify later such as xfxmod.

Open up Winflash and flash your gpu with the new rom (xfxmod). It should flash with no issues. (remember to click no on the restart and power down everything wait a min then boot up again)

As for the high power rom. It should be listed in the link that Heliox provided. If its not on here it might be at bitcointalk.org. As for dual mining. If you read above, one person has tried boysie dual mining rom and has got it to work for them. You can try it and then ask for help if needed.

Hope that helps.

• nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2016
    Where can I get the modified driver file? Found the Polaris Editor and I'm editing now. I just need the mod Driver file. Got the heavy rom from Bitcointalk and the ATIFlash
  • oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    what is the max consumption/hashrate you guys can do with rx 480 (non-ref) cards now? (wall measure)
    google polaris bios editor. I downloaded from reddit. (make sure its version 1.4) The modified driver file is at the beginning (page 2 of this thread) where heliox mention it. (win raid or something like that ) go to page 20 or so and look for the atikmdag.rar. You would have to download winrar to unzip it. No it will not cause any other issues. It will tell you that the subsystem ID does not match and it will not flash.
    Thanks, yeah I saw some mentioning of Virus for the reddit site so I went to another site to get it. Appreciate the page. Will go download the mod driver file now.
    thats why I have my antivirus on. It scans all my downloads.
    edited August 2016
    I have the HEAVY ROM installed which is supposed to do 31-32MH and does.  However it will crash my system after just running for 1minute every time.  This is for both solo and Dual mining both with risers and direct on the MB.  The power draw at the wall is around 160-220 watts for the RX480 depending on solo or dual mining.  Don't just look at GPU-Z as its not reporting the PCI-E draw from the riser or MB.

The powersaving ROM at 29MH seems more stable. Using Killawatt at the wall it's pull 185-190. Deduct 55 watts for my system to get the RX480 card use. 130 watts for 29MH is pretty impressive.

P.S That's using 16.7.3 driver. For some reason 16.8.2 driver uses about 15-20 more watts on the same ROM with the same performance.

Will Test Boysie ROM next.
    Post edited by nhando on
    Do I have to make any other changes via Wattman other than FAN control? Seems like Boysie ROM would also delivery the numbers as advertise but will just crash after running for 30 seconds.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    ETGoHome said:

Ok, after some more tweaking, for those that want the best watt to hash ratio, i think this is my final version. Energy is the most important factor to me, so I had to tweak it and lower it a bit and got a sweet spot.
    This is about 27-28 Mh/s at 0.85v with a GPU-Z of about 65w.

Here are my wattman settings:

Rom file is below:

I really don't like this superlowpower ROM sorry. In my view it has the potential to make life problematic. If it works for you, that's great :) But I want people to be aware this is cutting it very close indeed!!

For instance, on my rx480's that memory power (860mv) is just too low. at least 2 of my 6 cards require [email protected] and [email protected] This would just crash my system over and over again each time I tried to boot and restore of defaults would do nothing.

I would rather aim a bit higher on the rom, then tweak down in Wattman and be able to recover, than go right to the line.. and have issues being able to recover the cards.

Just my view.

edited August 2016
    oAPMo said:

what is the max consumption/hashrate you guys can do with rx 480 (non-ref) cards now? (wall measure)

I've seen 32.2 / 170w
    Wouldn't like to run REF 480's @ this setting though. Not maintainable long term in my view, especially given the previous discussions on overdraw through the PCI-E slot.

Especially when you can get a solid 31-31.5 using 135-150w without going over TDP.
  • ETGoHomeETGoHome Member Posts: 36
    @Yogi I see your point, I think I just hit the lotto with my cards, which is probably the reason I am able to go so aggressive. Didn't think about compatibility for others. I was just trying to see what works best for me first without realizing others might not have so lucky cards.
  • jupiterjupiter Member Posts: 9
    Great to see all the rom updates working so good for everyone. I think the rx480 cards will change a lot in ether mining topic.

I have one noobish question: is there a way to provide a rom update which doesnt need wattman settings to be done manually all the time? Or am i just doing something wrong?

Because i have a lot of rigs and its a lot of wasted time to make the wattmann settings all the time one rig shuts down
    edited August 2016
    ETGoHome said:

@Yogi I see your point, I think I just hit the lotto with my cards, which is probably the reason I am able to go so aggressive. Didn't think about compatibility for others. I was just trying to see what works best for me first without realizing others might not have so lucky cards.

I think it's good you're trying to help people, and ultimatly it is up to them to understand the risks for themselves. But there will always be people who just run stuff without thinking. It would seem you do have some really high performing cards though! Lucky you :)

Now the point is made.. I think you should leave it out there as possible valid ROM. People just need to understand the risks :)
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Is everyone using windows to do the flashing of the bios?
    I plan on using Linux but if I can't flash it then I will go with windows.
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    my current settings using @boysie which seems to be the best for me personally. Ran for two days strait at 2285 mem, which is higher than picture.

edited August 2016
    jupiter said:

Great to see all the rom updates working so good for everyone. I think the rx480 cards will change a lot in ether mining topic.

I have one noobish question: is there a way to provide a rom update which doesnt need wattman settings to be done manually all the time? Or am i just doing something wrong?

Because i have a lot of rigs and its a lot of wasted time to make the wattmann settings all the time one rig shuts down

Technically you can do this.. the challenge here is balancing performance and stability across many cards. Every card will be different and the ROM needs to work on your worst card as well as your best.

Like I was just discussing with @ETGoHome - My personal preference is to go a bit more generic on the rom, then finetune with Wattman.
    One thing we forgot to mention is the asic quality of your cards. Lower asic cards will need more voltage. Higher asic cards will need less. Not all ref cards are made with the same asic quality. Luck of the draw. All mine are over 70. Therefore I can use the low energy rom with no issues. @oAPMo Im running four Rx 480 hashing at 29.2 mh/s drawing 640 ish from the wall. Basic set up h97 mobo. Two 120 mm fans. 8gb ram. Cheap intel celeron processor. @jupiter with my rigs, after I flash the low energy rom, all i have to do is set the fan speed in CDM with the -tt option. (my miner is set at -tt 85, you can set it however it fits with your rig.) nothing else needs to be adjusted in wattman. Now if I could only find a way to disable driver sig check everytime it boots up. @nhando you gotta adjust your fans. If you cards reach the designated temperature it will do one of two things, 1. lower your hash rate. 2. cause your system to crash. So adjusting your fans in watmann or enter the command line in CDM and see if that helps with your system stability. (also don't forget to enable at least 16gb of virtual memory)
  • Masked_ImmortalMasked_Immortal Member Posts: 11
    ِDoes anyone has used this app for driver signature check on windows 7?
    http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

also my orginal rom has 220kb size while modded rom has 512! i used GPU-z for saving bios,
    does this differeces matter?
  • VuQuocHai1VuQuocHai1 Member Posts: 49
    ETGoHome said:

Would also like to post that it works 100% on windows 7 using the latest drivers, it didn't work when i was using 16.7.1 drivers.

Marvell9 said:

Calivet said:

@ETGoHome your rom is for a 4gb only, correct?

does it really matter even? it seems that the 4gb cards can be flashed to 8gb since the mem chips are simply disabled

the bigger question is how much power savings with your bios vs the new Heliox rom thats at 2125 mem vs 2225
    My rom is just a tweaked version of Heliox rom, so if it was the 4gb, then mine is the 4gb. But a 4gb bios can be flashed on a 8gb card and visa versa. This only applies to the reference cards though during launch.
    @ETGoHome I can see the sweet Win 7 7601 version at your screen .
    Can you please give us steps for Win 7 ?! Which Crimson version you installed ?
    I tried Dseo version 1.3b for that mod file but GPU still as yellow maskor Win 7 hung while loading .
    Great thanks man .
    B.r
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2016
    Deleted

Post edited by Streetlight on
  • ETGoHomeETGoHome Member Posts: 36
    @VuQuocHai1 I had to do a fresh driver install of Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix
    edited August 2016
    @Streetlight if it is still being detected there is still hope. Are you on windows 7,8,10? Are you flashing via bootable usb with dos? More info would help.
    @Masked_Immortal , confirmed I used it on windows 10. doesn't seem to work. As for the rom size. I don't believe it matters. I have 8gb flashed back and forth from 4gb to 8gb.
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2016
    Have sorted the card out... got to reflash once I DDU the drivers....

All sorted....

Want to say thanks to the people who made the rom and helped out here.
  • wemaymorewemaymore Member Posts: 56

my current settings using @boysie which seems to be the best for me personally. Ran for two days strait at 2285 mem, which is higher than picture.

What card is it? Manufacturer and size of ram pls :)
    Good hashrate for this card
    Calivet said:

One thing we forgot to mention is the asic quality of your cards. Lower asic cards will need more voltage. Higher asic cards will need less. Not all ref cards are made with the same asic quality. Luck of the draw. All mine are over 70. Therefore I can use the low energy rom with no issues. @oAPMo Im running four Rx 480 hashing at 29.2 mh/s drawing 640 ish from the wall. Basic set up h97 mobo. Two 120 mm fans. 8gb ram. Cheap intel celeron processor. @jupiter with my rigs, after I flash the low energy rom, all i have to do is set the fan speed in CDM with the -tt option. (my miner is set at -tt 85, you can set it however it fits with your rig.) nothing else needs to be adjusted in wattman. Now if I could only find a way to disable driver sig check everytime it boots up. @nhando you gotta adjust your fans. If you cards reach the designated temperature it will do one of two things, 1. lower your hash rate. 2. cause your system to crash. So adjusting your fans in watmann or enter the command line in CDM and see if that helps with your system stability. (also don't forget to enable at least 16gb of virtual memory)

I believe they discussed this in the bitcointalkforum
    wemaymore said:

What card is it? Manufacturer and size of ram pls :)
    Good hashrate for this card
    MSI 8gb. My system is running the h97 board with 8gb ram and a dual core processor.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My current concern with trying these roms is if im mining at a remote location, the power turns off and back on (storm or something) and the comp reboots, I'd have to go over to the remote location to manually boot it in the right mode, with win10. This is correct?

Win7 doesn't have this issue? or is EthOS recommended over win7? (i've used win7 and win10 but not any version of linux yet for mining)
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭

ِDoes anyone has used this app for driver signature check on windows 7?
    http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

also my orginal rom has 220kb size while modded rom has 512! i used GPU-z for saving bios,
    does this differeces matter?

@Masked_Immortal That program is what I used. After trying MANY different methods, that program is the only thing I could get to work.
    edited August 2016
    Calivet said:

I'm testing it with single GPU setup so 16GB memory is not an issue yet but it have been configued for 16GB virtual memory. My FAN is setup for 70 and 75. What voltage do you recommend I set the configuration to? I change my Wattman to be identical to billcryptokid who have a working config but his card is the MSI one. Mine is the XFX one which is the only unique reference card as it comes with the Side plate and also have a OC version. Really like the performance # from billcryptokid and Boysie's report. I want to get this working. Right now I can only get the PowerSaving ROM working but via Eth Only stable.
    Post edited by nhando on