Best USD/MH GPU for mining currently?

MineRonnyMineRonny Member Posts: 14
Hi guys,

New to mining and trying to get started by figuring out which GPU is the best for ETH mining.

Also, Is R9 290 not manufacturing anymore? Because R9 390 is too expensive as compared to r9 290..

Comments

• un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    1.) whats your energy cost?
    2.) where do you come from?
    3.) what is your budget?
    4.) what is your cooling conditions?
  • MineRonnyMineRonny Member Posts: 14
    1 ) Energy cost : 0.01 / kWh
    2 ) SEA region
    3) Budget can be adjusted. Starting with 50,000 USD
    4) Temperature to be constantly warm here. We're intending to use exhaust fans for pulling, and big fans for pushing directly at the GPUs.

Thank you!
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Since your energy cost is pretty low, go for R9 290 cards, refurbished and used ones. You will barely find new ones since this is a pretty old card. R9 390 is a fail rebrand of the R9 290.

Other options: AMD RX 480 or RX 470 depending on availability in your region, will work out of the box with minor settings correction. There are even BIOS Roms for RX 480 making it run with 31 MH/s. Just search the forum.

NVIDIA GTX 1070 depending on your availability. Those are expensive and cost almost the double of RX 480 but produce less heat and use less energy
    Thanks for the valuable info.

Can i ask what is a BIOS Rom? Is it a software mod?

I read about AMD being more efficient in hashing.. is that so?

Does it matters if the GPU have 2gb ram or 4gb ram?
  • KREIONKREION Member Posts: 38
    You absolutely need at least 4gb ram.
    Bios is a modification to the gpus working parameters in order to make it more energy to mh/s efficient.
    With energy almost free don't bother!
    Thanks for the explanation!

I've seen BIOS mod that says it increases the MH for the GPUs. Is that so?

If that's the case, its making a whole lot difference as we're able to get more MH/s per GPU.

TIA
  • XereoXereo Member Posts: 55
    I run both R9 290's and R9 390's. I picked up second hand R9 290's for £120 each and purchaed new R9 390's for £199 which included warranty unlike the second hand cards.
    Xereo said:

I run both R9 290's and R9 390's. I picked up second hand R9 290's for £120 each and purchaed new R9 390's for £199 which included warranty unlike the second hand cards.

Sounds like R9 390's is much more worth it, right?
  • KREIONKREION Member Posts: 38
    In that price range the new cards worth it.
    Plus after the first month you can invest some of your earnings in order to get some more 390s.

You will get a nice discount if you buy all of your equipment from one importer.
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    The 390s (esp. the MSI ones) are probably most stable and strong performer on ETH mining in my opinion - however it eats power like no tomorrow. IMHO, the RX480 is a very good alternative because it can go to 31MHs using Heliox ROM mod, decent power, good temperature and also latest AMD Polaris platform.

If you have 50 grand to spend, please don't forget that PSU is critical to run a stable 24x7 ETH farm. Forget about those budget models and only go for minimum Gold Plus certified - if you can get Platinum. There are expensive for a reason. Good brands EVGA, Corsair... I know some do their own PSU mods using server PSU but no comment on those, I rather go for good PSU like EVGA that has 10 year warranty.

As you pointed out - cooling is a major cost for a ETH farm or any farm for that matter. So put aside some funds to get good ventilation, air extractors and quality cabling. 220/240v 3 phase power is a bonus since you are in SEA ...
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I'm also in SEA. Try to buy 2nd hand 290s with remaining warranty. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
  • ethkitethkit Member Posts: 18
    @KREION can you suggest an importer?
  • oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    If you have 50k budget I see no point in buying second hand stuff without warranty, first of all, troubleshooting every card is a pain, if you have warranty you can just send it back, especially if you have 2weeks no questions asked return (like in the EU). Most cards are good for years if they mine 24hour at first, usually bad cards are dead on arrival or semi-dead (can't OC, artifacts). That's why warranty is key in my opinion if you build a big farm and don't want to kill your nerves with cards that you no have idea why they don't work and you can't return them. I'd go with new rx 480, unless you can find new msi r9 390 for the same or lower price.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    50k? Buy 50k worth of ETH and sit on it...
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    I would get into BTC trading with 40k and mine with 10k, always buy equipment that is able to be sold in the future, as the legs could fall out on this shit otmorrow.
    By saying that, is everyone agreeing on MSI GPUs being the best one out there? I'm confused as of which one is better, ASUS , MSI etc etc..

I would get into BTC trading with 40k and mine with 10k, always buy equipment that is able to be sold in the future, as the legs could fall out on this shit tomorrow.

I suppose that BTC equipment is not easily sold in the future as compared to GPUs for ETH mining, am i right? Because BTC equipments become obsolete quickly, whereas GPUs can be used for gaming purposes.
  • pantadorpantador Member Posts: 46
    What about start smaller than 50K, then more afterwards. If you're new, get 1 rig with 6 470 or 480s, and see what you think about it. You could also built another with different cards, then more math. Mining might not be that difficult, but experience helps. Especially with 50K farm.
  • oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    @Mineronny I'm not sure about the rx models but MSI in general is the best, I avoid asus at all costs, their fans don't last for shit and they made huge mistakes in older models. MSI Sapphire are pretty good in general but I'd take a powercolor/gigabyte/xfx anytime over an asus.