Hash Rate on ALL cards 5MH/S Lower than Anticipated

PCRGMPCRGM Member Posts: 46
edited August 2016 in Mining
Hello, I'm just getting into Ethereum mining, and I have a few questions about my hash rate. For whatever reason, on all my cards, I'm getting 5MH/S less than what I expect to be getting (R9 295x2 is getting 55MH/S) and I was wondering how to get it to the hash rate I'm expecting. I'm currently running a 295x2 and a R9 290X (Waiting for higher wattage power supply for my other three cards) I'm mining with Genoli-Ethminer, on Windows 7x64 Ultimate. My build has 4GB of DDR3 ram, and a Intel Celeron processor. It's currently being powered by 2 1000W modular power supplies, and the temperatures are 59C for the 295x2 and 68C for the R9 290X.

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? I see other people on my mining pool with the same cards as I have, but they are getting the full hashrate (30MH/S for the R9 290) If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. As far as stability goes, I'm only mining with two physical cards because when I had an extra card on it (R9 290) it would crash/freeze every half an hour (Low power/inefficiency on psu. I've been mining for a little over 24 hours straight (took me some time to figure out that that extra card was causing the crashes)

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone can help me.

----EDIT----
Forgot to mention I've tried both catalyst 15.7.1, and 2 different versions of Crimson. Maybe QTMiner is better, but when I tried to use it (when I had the extra card in) I don't think I got any shares because I don't know what it says if I get a share. It told me the hashrate in H/S instead of MH/S, so it was a bit harder to figure out which was better to use.

Comments

• cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Have you tried Claymore miner?giveit a shot and see the results.Also keep in mind as the dag file grows older gpu's hashrate drops
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What are you basing your expectation of hashrate on? If you are using some old information then you should know that hashrate for everyone is gradually dropping over time as difficulty increases, DAG file gets bigger, etc.

That said, I have almost all 290s and depending on their clocks (whether and how much I overclock them) they are all getting between 28 and 31.

I am using EthOS (linux based mining platform) because I found windows to just be a pain in the butt generally, I think EthOS uses a version of Genoil's miner, and now (I think) it uses an instance of the miner for every card on the rig.

I'm pretty sure that trying to run a windows based mining rig with only 4GB RAM on the motherboard will be problematic. I have a friend who runs windows rigs and says that he needs more RAM the more cards he has on his rig. He uses claymore now but he used to use Genoil and run one instance of Genoil for each card, and he told me that it worked better when he added RAM. Maybe when you add that third card, it isn't the PSU - but windows having a tantrum because it runs out of RAM? 2 x 1000w PSUs should be plenty, even with that crazy dual GPU card. One of my rigs is 4 x 290s, and three of them are overclocked to core 1100, and they are on 2 x 750w PSUs. Been fine for months. I have another rig which is 4 x 290s and 1 x 380 and it's using one 1000w PSU and one 850w PSU and the PSUs aren't even getting warm.

Just from using windows generally as a desktop system, it has seemed to me to have always been a RAM hog because it has so much extra crap going on in the background in case you need it, rather than just running what you actually tell it to like Linux does, but I use it when I have to do things in the world apart from mining, because it's so ubiquitous. For mining I don't like it - just my opinion.
  • lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
    newmz said:

What are you basing your expectation of hashrate on? If you are using some old information then you should know that hashrate for everyone is gradually dropping over time as difficulty increases, DAG file gets bigger, etc.

That said, I have almost all 290s and depending on their clocks (whether and how much I overclock them) they are all getting between 28 and 31.

I am using EthOS (linux based mining platform) because I found windows to just be a pain in the butt generally, I think EthOS uses a version of Genoil's miner, and now (I think) it uses an instance of the miner for every card on the rig.

I'm pretty sure that trying to run a windows based mining rig with only 4GB RAM on the motherboard will be problematic. I have a friend who runs windows rigs and says that he needs more RAM the more cards he has on his rig. He uses claymore now but he used to use Genoil and run one instance of Genoil for each card, and he told me that it worked better when he added RAM. Maybe when you add that third card, it isn't the PSU - but windows having a tantrum because it runs out of RAM? 2 x 1000w PSUs should be plenty, even with that crazy dual GPU card. One of my rigs is 4 x 290s, and three of them are overclocked to core 1100, and they are on 2 x 750w PSUs. Been fine for months. I have another rig which is 4 x 290s and 1 x 380 and it's using one 1000w PSU and one 850w PSU and the PSUs aren't even getting warm.

Just from using windows generally as a desktop system, it has seemed to me to have always been a RAM hog because it has so much extra crap going on in the background in case you need it, rather than just running what you actually tell it to like Linux does, but I use it when I have to do things in the world apart from mining, because it's so ubiquitous. For mining I don't like it - just my opinion.

That about RAM is just bs... I have 2 rigs both on windows (one 6 other 4 cards) and my friend have 4 rigs all 6 cards. All rigs have 4gb of cheapest 1333mhz ram and every rig runs without problem
  • gaineraidgaineraid Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2016
    http://imgur.com/vKIWFbV yeah only 48% usage on ram 4 gigs is plenty. That being said I haven't been able to get the max potential out of my my 290x either. It gets around 22 Mh/s all the others in the pict are 280x's also would expect to get better hashrates on those cards.

Ive used modified bios here:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1564219/modded-r9-390x-bios-for-r9-290-290x-updated-02-16-2016
    for my 290x and it had some improvement but not the expected 28 - 30 Mh/s
  • PCRGMPCRGM Member Posts: 46
    I have no idea how to use Claymore.... I know I can just try to google it, but can someone link me to a tutorial, or tell me how to use it? I only want to mine ether. Can someone help me get a config for that?
  • oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    @PCRGM download the 5.3 or later version from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69wv2iqszefdFZUV2toUG5HdlU
    use 15.12 catalyst first, http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-15-12-driver-download.html
    edit your config.txt to

-epool eu1.ethermine.org:4444
    -ewal yourwallet address
    -epsw password
    #-dpool sia.suprnova.cc:7777
    #-dwal user.worker
    #-dpsw password
    -esm 0
    -mode 0
    -tt 60
    #-dcoin sia
    -tstop 95
    #-dcri 30

if you want dualmining, remove the # from each line.

finally make a bat in the same folder with these lines

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

EthDcrMiner64.exe
    oAPMo said:

@PCRGM download the 5.3 or later version from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69wv2iqszefdFZUV2toUG5HdlU
    use 15.12 catalyst first, http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-15-12-driver-download.html
    edit your config.txt to

-epool eu1.ethermine.org:4444
    -ewal yourwallet address
    -epsw password
    #-dpool sia.suprnova.cc:7777
    #-dwal user.worker
    #-dpsw password
    -esm 0
    -mode 0
    -tt 60
    #-dcoin sia
    -tstop 95
    #-dcri 30

if you want dualmining, remove the # from each line.

finally make a bat in the same folder with these lines

EthDcrMiner64.exe

Thanks for the help, haven't tried it yet, but will that work for https://ethereumpool.co/stats/ ?? It doesn't require a worker Password here's my config for ethminer genoli

ethminer -G -F http://ethereumpool.co/[email protected](My address removed for safety)@Minerx1 --opencl-platform 1
    -epool http://ethereumpool.co/[email protected](My address removed for safety)@Minerx1
    and remove ewal and epsw or put # to ignore it.
    edited August 2016
    When starting the batch file that has the system variables I get an error, here is the configuration file/batch file

EthDcrMiner64.exe

This is the log file that gets generated when it crashes. 11:39:52:263 ecc args: -epool http://ethereumpool.co/[email protected]@Minerx1 -esm 0 -mode 1 -tt 1 -tstop 95
    11:39:52:263 ecc
    11:39:52:263 ecc ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
    11:39:52:263 ecc º Claymore's Dual ETH + DCR/SC GPU Miner v6.0 Beta º
    11:39:52:263 ecc ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
    11:39:52:263 ecc
    11:39:52:466 ecc ETH: No pools specified! Specify at least one valid pool in "-epool" parameter.

---- Extra information ----
    I uninstalled the existing display drivers, then used DDU to preform a clean uninstall of my drivers in safe mode after I used the built in uninstaller. I rebooted, and installed the version claymore miner says to use (15.12) and I rebooted.
    Post edited by PCRGM on
    Just use a different pool, I tried this too but it can't mine on it because there's no port given.
    Which pool has the same payout method as this one that accepts claymore?
    I'm not mining eth but this pool looks very good http://ethpool.org/faq. You will only get rewards once you submit enough share for an entire block but you get full payout + if you're lucky you get paid 3.75 bonus for an uncle, at least thats what the site says.
    I already found a pool. That is a solo mining pool you sent me, you only get paid if you have the highest hashrate and you find the block. I'm mining on hitchpool, and Claymore is immediately a LOT more stable then Genoli Ethminer. I can actually mine with 3 cards and not have it crash every half an hour.
    @PCRGM that pool gives you credit for every share and when you have enough shares for an entire block you get paid the full block and if its an uncle, you get paid that and the block so 8.75eth instead 5. You don't need to have the highest hashrate, shares accumulates overtime.
    I've heard though that that pool isn't very profitable for miners with lower hashrates.
    what is the reason for that ? all shares accumulate, it shouldn't matter if you have 1 card or 100. I didn't mine there but I'm curious why wouldn't it be good.
    I'm only getting 115MH/S right now