ethOS / Ubuntu ETH/ETC Auto-Switch script anyone?

cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67
edited August 2016 in Mining
As it is, with both ETC and ETH being volatile I was wondering if anyone has come up with something to help us miners mine whatever is most profitable?

For instance: Has anyone come up with a script to check a site like WhatToMine.com and then based on whichever currency is most profitable to automatically change local.conf to one of two configs (one set up for mining ETH or one for ETC).

I'm not a coder but I imagine the process would be something like this

1. Check WhatToMine - determine whether ETH or ETC is more profitable.
2, If the current currency is unchanged from the last time the script checked then do nothing. If it has changed then proceed to steps 3-7.
3. If ETH is more profitable save a copy of local-eth.conf as local.conf / If ETC is more profitable save a copy of local-etc.conf as local.conf
4. Stop mining with command: disallow
5. Remove the DAG with command: rm -f /home/ethos/.ethash/full*
6. Restart the proxy with command: restart-proxy
7. Allow mining with command: allow
8. Wait a specified time (30 mins? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours? 1 day?)
9. Repeat step 1.

Any thoughts on how to do this in a script?

Comments

• ihacksihacks Member Posts: 61
    Theoretically this is possible, if you setup a cron job(ex each 1h) to do a curl on https://www.whattomine.com/coins.json and parse the JSON response to reach the "profitability" of each coin(ETH vs ETC) and then do what you've said on steps 3-7...I could do that but I'm too lazy to do it, and after that to share for free :wink:
  • atorrenteatorrente Member Posts: 47
    @cascadia_coin
    great idea !
    but i think you should check between all the ethash coins (eth, eth and exp)
    the profitability on exp is not bad and the hashrate is higher because exp are at epoch #10 (smaller dag )
    check yoursel ;)
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67
    atorrente said:

@cascadia_coin
    great idea !
    but i think you should check between all the ethash coins (eth, eth and exp)
    the profitability on exp is not bad and the hashrate is higher because exp are at epoch #10 (smaller dag )
    check yoursel ;)

That would be a very good thing to add latter (also Krypton, Shift, Soil) but to keep it simple, at least to start I thought it should be limited to the two etherea since they are most profitable to mine at the moment.

If anyone can construct such a script/cron job and post it here you'll likely be a legend. :D
    This is sorely needed. Has anyone got something like this to work? Or even a dagger-hashimoto multipool which auto switches?
  • ihacksihacks Member Posts: 61
    @cascadia_coin I think that Miningpoolhub have something like this
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    @cascadia_coin I think nicehash does this, but in my experiences the fees were high and it seemed they skimmed a bit
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    ihacks said:

They do but they dont get near enough traffic to make the pools actually work well from my experience.

OP, It shouldn't be to hard to write the cron job, just spend an afternoon writing it and you should be set :P.
  • triharder21triharder21 Member Posts: 18
    i understand reasoning for this but at the same time just diverting hash to etc alone = 4x coins. price increase on one coin far less overall cost for buyers than price increase of 1 eth at over 10 per coin. miners are in control and vote with hash power. were you subsidized for your contribution of hash power or potential loss in profits from dao and eth debacle i dont think so long term potential growth for etc if miners wake up is much greater. vitalik and friends give no f***s either way they hold same amount of eth and etc. put your miners where you can make the most
    bctopics said:

ihacks said:

They do but they dont get near enough traffic to make the pools actually work well from my experience.

OP, It shouldn't be to hard to write the cron job, just spend an afternoon writing it and you should be set :P.

Can you do it? I haven't a clue when it comes to coding, cron, etc. I'm just a miner.

i understand reasoning for this but at the same time just diverting hash to etc alone = 4x coins. price increase on one coin far less overall cost for buyers than price increase of 1 eth at over 10 per coin. miners are in control and vote with hash power. were you subsidized for your contribution of hash power or potential loss in profits from dao and eth debacle i dont think so long term potential growth for etc if miners wake up is much greater. vitalik and friends give no f***s either way they hold same amount of eth and etc. put your miners where you can make the most

I am not into politics. I'd rather just mine what is profitable. I am surely not the only one who feels this way.
    ihacks said:
    Outstanding! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Is there an ethereum address I can send my appreciation to?