Help, 10-15k dollar mining farm.

ZanderMZanderM Member Posts: 86
edited August 2016 in Mining
I took a loan of 125 000 NOK - 15000 ish usd.

I am thinking of creating a mining farm, do you think it's a good idea?

I have the space, power, and cooling capability.
Power is extremely cheap, around 0.01-0.02 KW/h ($)

I have some experience with mining, currently I have 2 rigs.

Rig 1: 6x 7970
Rig 2: 4x rx 470 4gb

I have a job to pay down the loan, so I'm not required to succeed.

What equipment should I buy?
Prices are a little different in Norway.
rx 470 4gb = 245usd
rx 470 8gb = 300usd
rx 480 4gb = 300usd
rx 480 8gb = 350usd

I'm thinking of buying
32 rx 470
8 mobo's
8 ssd's
8 ram sticks
8 cpu's
PSU's I'm not quite sure how many, or what quality to buy.

Then use the rest for shelving and cooling

Any thoughts?
Post edited by ZanderM on

Comments

• nathannnathann Member Posts: 72
    ZanderM said:

Who takes a loan out before figuring out if 'its a good idea'??????????
    Regardless, there are worse things you can invest in.

You wont have any luck being able to buy 470/480's for a while in large quantities and as you said power is cheap, id go and buy a truck load of 390's.
  • ZanderMZanderM Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2016
    nathann said:

ZanderM said:

Who takes a loan out before figuring out if 'its a good idea'??????????
    Regardless, there are worse things you can invest in.

You wont have any luck being able to buy 470/480's for a while in large quantities and as you said power is cheap, id go and buy a truck load of 390's.
    I will have no problem buying big quantities of 470/480's I have also arranged a volume discount, I will get around 8% off if i buy 30+ of them.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    With power SO cheap, I would also agree on getting 390s. You will get 5-8mh/s more per card and you won't have the problem that seems to be becoming prevalent with the RX cards failing because they draw too much power through PCI-E. The 390 has been around for a few years now and there is a lot of information out there about optimizing them. Surely 390s must be dropping in price now that every AMD gamer wants an RX card. If I was in your position I would buy Sapphire 390 Nitro cards, if they are still available new with warranty.
    newmz said:

With power SO cheap, I would also agree on getting 390s. You will get 5-8mh/s more per card and you won't have the problem that seems to be becoming prevalent with the RX cards failing because they draw too much power through PCI-E. The 390 has been around for a few years now and there is a lot of information out there about optimizing them. Surely 390s must be dropping in price now that every AMD gamer wants an RX card. If I was in your position I would buy Sapphire 390 Nitro cards, if they are still available new with warranty.

They don't really sell them anymore in Norway :neutral:
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    newmz said:

How are you going to cool these? I have good electricity rates but am selling my 290s and 390s and replacing with 480 ref cards. You also save in sizing your psu's.

Also, where should I buy risers? The ones I currently have i bought from gpushack, but they don't have alot of them. I've browsed through amazon, but almost every single riser have a guy giving it 1 star, complaining about it not working.. A link would be appreciated
  • nathannnathann Member Posts: 72
    ZanderM said:

Also, where should I buy risers? The ones I currently have i bought from gpushack, but they don't have alot of them. I've browsed through amazon, but almost every single riser have a guy giving it 1 star, complaining about it not working.. A link would be appreciated

Checkout ebay and make sure to buy extras like 20%+ extra. In the end no matter where you buy them from, they are made in the same factory in china.

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Try to get your hands on RX 480's, speed isn't much lower than a 390.
    They're cheaper and do not consume as much energy ;)
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @nathann

I disagree with this.
    They are not all the same, and from ebay they didnt work for me (10pcs+), from Amazon i had no bad risers.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    If I were you, i'd buy used 290 or 390 cards with remaining warranty. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. In terms of risers, buy in bulk from aliexpress.com - i've bought in bulk from there several times without any issues. The sellers there aren't as shady as you may think.
    Alright, for psus I got a really good offer, but not sure if I should take it, considering the offer is for 750w psu's.

So it's either
    16x 750w (CX750M) for 1120 USD <------- Good offer

or

8x 1200w(HX1200i) for 2400 USD <-------- Regular price

With that price difference, I should take 16 750w's, right?
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    @ZanderM are you planning on adding more later? Because 8 1200w PSU's is way overkill for rigs with 4x Rx 470's. I have a rig running 3x 470's at 310w. You could just get 8x EVGA g2 750's and call it a day.

My bigger question for you is what's your experience level and are you technically ready to manage these rigs? Not that it's incredibly difficult but there are some nuances. If you're just getting started you might build a rig and see how you fare before buying 32x cards.

You could also purchase some cheap $11 ETH right now with some of your money which will most likely go up significantly as well (IMO of course, but we have Devcon2 right around the corner which will see a lot of news coverage and that + availability on CoinBase = good things).
  • OilidOilid Member Posts: 68
    R9 290 or 390 but you need to do the computation with your electrical prices.

More important for your video card supply why not targetting amazon premium seller on amazon.fr/ .co.uk / .de They deliver in europe and you might be able to negociate a discount for your amount of cards...
    And i am sure that many german website if you ask them are able to ship to norway in a relay which is not expensive.
  • OilidOilid Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2016
    This is a famous and serious french seller with refurbished R9 290 at 160euros.

http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphique/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-4-go-reconditionnee-130358.html

With OC i hashing around 30-31 MH per card.

If you need help let me know.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Got some Nano's on sale.. :tongue: (i'm serious though..)
  • charles2kcharles2k Member Posts: 22
    Oilid said:

This is a famous and serious french seller with refurbished R9 290 at 160euros.

http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphique/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-4-go-reconditionnee-130358.html

With OC i hashing around 30-31 MH per card.

If you need help let me know.

but "this product is no longer available for sale"...
    Techman34 said:

@ZanderM are you planning on adding more later? Because 8 1200w PSU's is way overkill for rigs with 4x Rx 470's. I have a rig running 3x 470's at 310w. You could just get 8x EVGA g2 750's and call it a day.

My bigger question for you is what's your experience level and are you technically ready to manage these rigs? Not that it's incredibly difficult but there are some nuances. If you're just getting started you might build a rig and see how you fare before buying 32x cards.

You could also purchase some cheap $11 ETH right now with some of your money which will most likely go up significantly as well (IMO of course, but we have Devcon2 right around the corner which will see a lot of news coverage and that + availability on CoinBase = good things).

Yes, I am planning on expanding if everything goes well. I have already bought like 110 ether(not that much, but it's something). Managing everything will be no problem, I have been mining since you could mine bitcoin with gpu's. :blush:

I also have a couple of friends helping me setting up and controlling everything.
    One of them is an electrician, he will help me with everything that has to do with electricity.

Update for everyone: I went with the 470's
    edited August 2016
    This is what I bought
    Total cost: 11800 dollar(ish)

• marvykkiomarvykkio Member Posts: 18
    because you took the 4gb? and not the 8gb nitro OC. ?
  • marvykkiomarvykkio Member Posts: 18
    the motherboard where to buy the asrock H81 pro btc
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    @ZanderM , you can make a nice little farm, but you should choose motherboard with 6 pci-e slots
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    this mobo is not good.
    these cards are wide (dual slot) and will block at least one, maybe both of 1X slots.
    8 mobos=need to put 4 cards on each, and you won't be able to, unless you would employ four risers/mobo.
  • densetsdensets Member Posts: 69
    ZanderM said:

whatever you do buy the risers with a molex power connection.
    Guys, relax, of course I will use risers (with molex power). Please read the whole thread before commenting.
    I am confident that everything I have bought will do more than good.
    I wouldn't be spending 14000 dollars(including cooling and shelving) if I was just guessing.
    I will create a new thread with progress once I get everything :blush:
    edited August 2016
    marvykkio said:

because you took the 4gb? and not the 8gb nitro OC. ?

4gb because I don't think 55 dollar extra per card is worth it for 3mh/s(ish) more.
  • quake96321quake96321 Member Posts: 15
    ZanderM said:

I will create a new thread with progress once I get everything :blush:

Good luck! Will follow the progress in new thread.
    Lykke til :) Blir spennende å følge med på.
    edited August 2016
    ZanderM said:

Guys, relax, of course I will use risers (with molex power). Please read the whole thread before commenting.
    I wouldn't be spending 14000 dollars(including cooling and shelving) if I was just guessing.

it is better not to reinvent the wheel as far as mobo is concerned.
    not sure why so many PSUs for just four 470 cards/rig and 8 rigs.
    Good luck.
    edited August 2016
    Biodom said:

ZanderM said:

it is better not to reinvent the wheel as far as mobo is concerned.
    not sure why so many PSUs for just four 470 cards/rig and 8 rigs.
    Good luck.
    The motherboard is perfectly fine, it's actually used quite a lot for mining rigs(different version though, the
    B85 anniversary edition is more popular, but there's no difference in general as far as gpu handling goes with risers).
    EDIT: ^ I take that back, you're right. You can now shove it in my face if you wish to :'( I just realized it's two extra pci slots, and not pci-e slots. Glad you made me aware of that

As far as the PSU's go, I got a really great deal on them, that's why i bought 16 of them. That, and I will have more room for expanding if I wish to do so later.

Thanks! :wink:
    @ZanderM
    no prob, glad to help.